+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your Rules on Freelance?

Banned sealovechild is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Your Rules on Freelance?

Please share your own personal rules or guidelines when it comes to freelancing. I'm a budding freelancer myself, and your guidance in the design field will definitely help me... and others who might be watching this thread.

Junior Member jsavage is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Clarifying all expectations up front has been the most important for me.

Banned Skatexius is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Depending on the value and the size of work, writing up a good contract so you can be safe in case of complications or additional work which would be payed hourly or in whatever way you prefer. I also like to get payed or get at least half of it a certain points of the design process, especially before handing out any open files :)

I also have no problem quitting the job in the middle of the process if the client is being unreasonable or expecting a lot more than they are willing to pay, or are even making serious problems and not respecting me or my work. I did that once since i working with a friend on that job and she needed the money, and it was a real black spot client wise. Dont let your clients exploit you and not value your work, just quit that shit and find someone who will appreciate you and your time.

Junior Member misjleroi is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I used to be a freelancers, but since a couple of years or so I'm the one who gives assignments know

Pro tip:As a freelancer, ask for a solid briefing, containing at least the following:
    • What
    • Why
    • Medium
    • Motto
    • Feel
    • Story
    • Lead of Briefing
    • Problem
    • Target Audience (and their view)
    • Target thought
    • Previous Attempts

This has helped me (as a freelancer but also as a contractor) in a great deal to clarify wishes. GL!

Member netizen777 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Yes a solid briefing is a must and I will add to the misjleroi list for the briefing more details about the final output, for instance if it is to be printed add detailed information about the quality of paper and finishings.

Also is good to ask for visual references favorited for clients, its a way to guess what are their real expectations regarding to graphic style.

Good luck in your freelancing adventure!

Banned ilhanmansis is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    split payments over longer projects for better cash flow.

eg...

25% on job acceptance
    25% after design visuals approved
    % rest on completion of project (e.g. website live etc)

Donor b1gmama5 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    After 13 years of freelancing the first advice that comes to my mind is to have an office outside your house. Shared with other ppl works perfectly. I know, it is one more cost but believe me it worth every penny. Getting the hell of your house everyday is an incredibly healthy routine. I'll have hundreds of other advices but this one was a damn genuine mistake for too many years in my case.

Junior Member bobklovn is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Always have a written agreement og contract with your clients!

Normal Member amartinez90 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Smile Split everything into the most understandable parts

As for bobklovn, for me it works to make a formal agreement at first, and to avoid client-based delays, split tasks in stages which depend on client's actions. (and of course, to stay real with the project timeline design!)

The same for payments, if the it is a small job, take 40% to mark the start of the project, then 60% at the end. (or 30%, 30%, 40%)

If the project is quite long (several months, more than 3), calculate the total budget for the project and divide it in the amount of months, and arrange specific tasks to the end of each month (i.e: meetings, approvals) to make a formal instance for payment.

It works really well for me. By now, it is the way I work less for free, I had a lot of bad experiences in the past with non-payed started works (maybe it is a country issue though hahah)

Junior Member CaptainQ is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    Precise when you want to get paid, I generally allow 30 days after the work is done, after there is penalty... you should write that on your bill.

11. Your ad here

Junior Member enjoy is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    You should try "DESIGN IS A JOB" by MIKE MONTEIRO. Very useful book, even for experienced freelancers

Junior Member websta has a spectacular aura about websta has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks

The main thing for me has been...

Ask for half up front, and half upon completion.

Haven't needed a contract beyond that, and have only had a couple bad experiences in over a dozen years, where I only ended up with the half-up-front part.

Another, lesser thing that's helped me -- since TBH I am not a good negotiator and am usually dealing with small businesses, not professional firms -- is when they press for a quote, I often say either that I can work within their budget (whatever that might be), which I especially say with repeat customers. For new or irregular clients, I describe a range of what I charge "other people" (e.g., "the big companies in the city") and leave it to the client to name (inevitably) the bottom of the range I just gave.

So the range is skewed to accommodate that expectation of them saying the lower amount, and everyone is happy because I got a reasonable amount, and they got a "deal."

Please let me know if you have any questions about that.

My third suggestion is to do your own businesses and work (e.g., direct/online sales of design and art work) while waiting for other customers. You may find that your own businesses make as much or more than client work, and you'll learn a lot along the way. For instance, a couple random Zazzle things I did years ago still pays my water bill each month.

Banned stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    a lot depends on your current economy

hmd
    Junior Member hmd is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Rule number 1:

Stand out from the crowd! Use latest technology and offer the best price. Imagine you're a "sniper" and the rest are all "hunting" you. What would you do to "eliminate" them? :-)

Banned bela is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    have everything in written :)
    i prefer to arrange all the details & clients requests via email (rather than phone) for that very reason.
    and predict every possible situation before writing the contract - what is your fee in case they decide to cancel the project, how much will you charge in advance, what happens if they don't pay on time, what's included in your offer (especially - photos, fonts & illustrations - if they cost extra don't forget to mention that)...

and always keep your portfolio fresh ;)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast