+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: We all know this problem

Banned Screwed Up is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'm all too familiar with these types of people - very prominent when I began doing freelance work.

As someone above mentioned, I think it comes down to client management skills. As a beginner, I didn't want to be seen as the 'bad guy', especially with close acquaintances, but there's only so much stress one can endure before they have to put their foot down and nip the problem.

My advice is simple: If the work isn't worthwhile, don't do it. I had to learn this the hard way.

Banned nugget is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    So far I've been lowering my amount to friends. I don't know why I do that but it seems right (but it isn't... at all). With all the work you've put in, and you criticising your work for them over and over again. We're talking a lot of hours here.

So my advice is: just don't do it. It might be hard at first but after a while, people stop asking you.

Last tip: weekend=weekend. So no personal projects or work.

Banned diskographik is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nugget View Post
    Last tip: weekend=weekend. So no personal projects or work.
    both hands seconding that!

Banned jackiinaa is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'm dealing with this problem ever since I started my career (10+ yrs now). Just learn how to say NO in a most polite way you are able to. Because nobody wants to hear just no. Explain that you are in the middle of other job and you have no time. You can even recommend some other designer... :)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jackiinaa For This Useful Post:

Banned heloo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    " It'll give you exposure, and lead to paying work"...... hate that!

Junior Member flymac is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    All summarised quite beautifully in this video - it's a classic, still funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfprIxNfCjk

Junior Member Sourmug is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flymac View Post
    All summarised quite beautifully in this video - it's a classic, still funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfprIxNfCjk
    I hadn't seen that video but I love it. I was trying to count the number of times I have heard those exact phrases....

Junior Member GODIVA is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I had a friend ask me to design a simple logo for his baseball team, I agreed, we never discussed price or anything, I was sort of ok with that because the project was somewhat simple. However, I did spend around 3 to 4 hours on his project. After completion I just hand in the high res document and this person didn't even try giving me some type of compensation... It bothered be a little but I let it go... a few weeks ago he asked if I could revamp the logo and include an illustration of a tiger, so this time I told him I was going to charge him a fee... which I think it was just fair, tis time the guy got mad at me and told me why couldn't I just do him the favor and create what he wanted at no charge, I felt offended because of his lack of understanding of the whole designing process and my fees... anyway I told him I just couldn't do it... he found someone who created some awful design and still charged him twice as much... after this I decided to charge fees to everyone friend or not, of course I could give some type of discount to friends and family but still I am charging some type of fee...

Member rocktopus will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GODIVA View Post
    I had a friend ask me to design a simple logo for his baseball team, I agreed, we never discussed price or anything, I was sort of ok with that because the project was somewhat simple. However, I did spend around 3 to 4 hours on his project. After completion I just hand in the high res document and this person didn't even try giving me some type of compensation... It bothered be a little but I let it go... a few weeks ago he asked if I could revamp the logo and include an illustration of a tiger, so this time I told him I was going to charge him a fee... which I think it was just fair, tis time the guy got mad at me and told me why couldn't I just do him the favor and create what he wanted at no charge, I felt offended because of his lack of understanding of the whole designing process and my fees... anyway I told him I just couldn't do it... he found someone who created some awful design and still charged him twice as much... after this I decided to charge fees to everyone friend or not, of course I could give some type of discount to friends and family but still I am charging some type of fee...
    You have to be upfront about it in the beginning. Make it clear how much time it takes, and that this is your livelihood. And if he actually gets mad, ask him if he would work 4 hours of his job for free.

Mtf
    Junior Member Mtf is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    In a moment of my career I found myself in point where my work was composed nearly only of work for my friends. I didnt do it for free but not full price also. I just can't charged them full price, because we are friends right? :) But what this genorisity of mine caused? My work started to be delayed, my cash flow stagnated and worst of all I started to be frustrated with my precious hobby and work. So if I can advise you, stop working for friends, or approach them like normal clients.

12. Your ad here

Junior Member switcher7 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Exaktly

In times every idiot considers him- or herself of being able to make the graphic-designs – we have to keep the distance to false pro bono jobs for friends and clients not knowing how much it takes to make good convincing designs.

I totally agree with Brian:

Don't work for free. Ever. If the things you make have any value, people should be willing to put some money into it. If they won't they are not committed clients and will wind up being pains in the asses anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2