+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: We all know this problem

Banned ILOVEFONTS is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

We all know this problem

Ok guys,

I'm in need of venting some frustration and I'm pretty sure that you all know this all too well:

I'm assuming all of you (including me) are somehow professionally involved in graphic design. Working full-time and doing over-hours is still often bearable, considering we made our hobby into our job.

However, I just cannot stand it when people approach me outside my job, thinking I was just sitting there, waiting for them to approach me about making a flyer for them. Don't get me wrong, I love helping friends out. And i loved earning a few extra-bucks while i was still studying.

And on top of that, these are the exact kind of people who dont have a lot of appreciation for your job anyways. People, who will look at you as if you were trying to mess with them when you tell them you worked a bunch of ours for their stuff and want to receive an appropriate sum of money for it. People, who cant tell the difference between a prestiged ad agency and a copyshop.

Feel free to join in and tell me about your experiences youve made. And also, Im begging you: Tell me how you deal with these people. Thanks you in advance.

Banned Xclusiv will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    As designers we naturally are attracted to any opportunities we have to create. We enjoy helping people transform their ideas into art. We as designers and artists can overindulge in our craft. BUT...if it has become too stressful for you, then don't be afraid to say "NO." You have to maintain a balance so other aspects of your life aren't suffering.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Xclusiv For This Useful Post:

Banned Abullock22 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    always love the can you do it for free - think of it as a portfolio peice

Member tinytoes has a spectacular aura about tinytoes has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks
    I know exactly what you mean. I've had lots of experiences like that! Lots and lots and lots! I'm in a country where graphic design is not yet considered to be a "real" job.

This is what I do. Deal with them professionally. Get the work done (while watching a funny movie) so that I can move on to the next project :)

I've had projects I even worked on for days. Clients bugging me on weekends, on my birthday, when I'm sick, texting me every 10 minutes. I get paid after months of completing the project, and it's always short of the amount we agreed on. It bugged me in the past years but now I've changed my attitude towards bridezillas and clients from hell. They think of us as "tools" to execute their lousy ideas. And if I let myself be that, my craft won't get any better. So I just get the project done and move on :)

Banned MinTea will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Yeah, get that too often. I usually encourage them to visit me during work hours, my down time is exactly that; time for me to chill and hang out, not to discuss artwork and changes and concepts.

Banned ILOVEFONTS is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tinytoes View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. I've had lots of experiences like that! Lots and lots and lots! I'm in a country where graphic design is not yet considered to be a "real" job.

This is what I do. Deal with them professionally. Get the work done (while watching a funny movie) so that I can move on to the next project :)

I've had projects I even worked on for days. Clients bugging me on weekends, on my birthday, when I'm sick, texting me every 10 minutes. I get paid after months of completing the project, and it's always short of the amount we agreed on. It bugged me in the past years but now I've changed my attitude towards bridezillas and clients from hell. They think of us as "tools" to execute their lousy ideas. And if I let myself be that, my craft won't get any better. So I just get the project done and move on :)
    ^YES. Exactly. Thank you. I am going to try watching a movie while doing it. Just out of curiosity where are you from?

Donor carrick is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    it's not easy, and it takes a while to learn it but you'll have to say NO to those jobs not paying you well enough. when you first start out it's almost impossible to say NO to *any* paying job. but your time is, most likely, your MOST VALUABLE ASSET - don't give it away cheaply. it kills me when i hear people saying that their time is ''free'' as it doesn't cost them anything. after enough time you will learn that it is well worth it to say NO to some jobs - your clients will respect you more for that. and you'll respect yourself more for that. and you'll fell better for it.

Member white has a spectacular aura about white has a spectacular aura about white has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks
    As usual, client is the king :D

In my experience (I'm wedding invitation designer), If client doesn't know what they want, we need to explain them, why do this? why do that? just make many reason to make them understand. Remember, we are professional designer, we know how to design more than Clients, that's why they need us for designing something, so I think we don't need to be afraid to say "NO". Usually I give them contract work before dealing, like giving them how many times revision. And also I show them my portfolio, my style, so there's no reason after dealing by looking at my portfolio and they don't like your design.

Banned el_panda is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tinytoes View Post
    I get paid after months of completing the project, and it's always short of the amount we agreed on.
    See this funnily titled talk for help & tips on the money issue, https://vimeo.com/22053820 :)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to el_panda For This Useful Post:

Banned dustin85 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    friends definitely expect things free or cheap. Alot of times I am overwhelmed doing stuff for friends for free or cheap that I end up losing money by putting paying customers to the side.

13. Your ad here

Banned bela is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    a "friend" told me last week that designing visual identity + 16 packaging SKUs for her new pet food line should not take me more than 5 hours.
    arghhhh....

Banned htrv is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    We passed the same problems, only changes the address of each designer: P

Junior Member JayFlow will become famous soon enough JayFlow will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    One simple solution is exchanging work. Don't just do it for free,
    do it in trade for some of their work.

Doesn't matter if you don't need it directly, give the product or service to someone close to you who might benefit from it.

It will make both of you more comitted to the trade and more able to respect each others time.

Member brian0760 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    I think many designers are really unskilled at client management... it takes skill and practice to learn to push back when clients try to change scope, etc. etc. Of course, a good contract is essential.

Don't work for free. Ever. If the things you make have any value, people should be willing to put some money into it. If they won't they are not committed clients and will wind up being pains in the asses anyway.

The real secret to this business is this: the more you charge, the better clients you get. If you want a client who feels like a partner and treats you like an equal, you have to be in a situation where they feel they are making a significant investment.

Banned poltergeist is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JayFlow View Post
    One simple solution is exchanging work. Don't just do it for free,
    do it in trade for some of their work.

Doesn't matter if you don't need it directly, give the product or service to someone close to you who might benefit from it.

It will make both of you more comitted to the trade and more able to respect each others time.
    Nice advice!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast