+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using uppercase/lowercase in brand names

Banned ILOVEFONTS is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Using uppercase/lowercase in brand names

Hey guys,

does any one of you have literature/links to article or any knowledge to share on how uppercase and lowercase letters influence our perception of a brand name?

I'd be interested in hearing about how most of you justify doing a brand name completely in lowercase letters or uppercase letters (or mixed, where the first letter is big and the rest small).

My experience so far has been that doing a brand name in uppercase letters often makes it look very serious, solid (like a bank) but at the same time also very bulky and heavy. Writing a brand name completely in lowercase letters, on the other hand, will make the brand seem more inviting and grounded but at the same time maybe not so serious.

What are your thoughts on this?

Junior Member CaptainQ is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    Hi. I'm graphic designer. So I guess I can answer... as I mostly do brand design.

My experience so far has been that doing a brand name in uppercase letters often makes it look very serious, solid (like a bank)
    This is basically what you learn in your first design class. This is true, this is something to keep in mind, but it's not a "law" and you shouldn't stick with that... cause there is the fact that your are not alone in the universe. Imagine if every banks in the would had Bold Caps logo, really boring... and the X bank couldn't differentiate itself the the bank Y.

Bold = solid, serious, severe, masculine
    Light = elegant, fresh, fragile, feminine
    Italique = action

Lowercase = Friendly, trust, fun
    Uppercase = severe, solid, Sustainability, Durability

So we said Uppercase was solid like a bank... but maybe that bank doesn't want to look that "solid"... mostly because it's assumed by most people that banks are secure/serious/solid etc etc you don't have to show it.. So maybe a bank would like to differentiate itself by saying it's near from the customers... that bank may want to look more friendly so we wont use bold and caps there....

Also.. there are things you can do to make a light font less feminine... like put square angles to it, make it less curvy, more tekky
    An uppercase with round corners will look more friendly too

All that to say.. there is general uses, but you don't have to stick to them cause everything is perception and subjectivity.

+ Reply to Thread