+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Are TTF really bad to use for professional printing?

Junior Member Majestic12 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Are TTF really bad to use for professional printing?

This I don't get: 8 years ago, my teacher (a huge Mac fanatic and hater of anything Microsoft) explained to the entire class how bad TTF fonts were. "Don't EVER use them!" he'd bristle, urging us all to use postscript (type 1) fonts.

The reason he gave, was that TTF was not made for printing but for being displayed on screen and that TTF was unreliable for printing. Thing is, since I started graphic design in 2005, a lot of our supplied PDFs were made using TTF fonts and we never ever had any problem. Ever.

So is there actually ANY reason anymore not to use a TTF font? I know some Mac fanatics still foam at the corners of their mouths when it's mentioned because Apple always supported Type 1 but I think my teacher basically taught me a bad and outdated habit dating from the 90s.

armourer

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    This I don't get: 8 years ago, my teacher (a huge Mac fanatic and hater of anything Microsoft) explained to the entire class how bad TTF fonts were. "Don't EVER use them!" he'd bristle, urging us all to use postscript (type 1) fonts.

The reason he gave, was that TTF was not made for printing but for being displayed on screen and that TTF was unreliable for printing. Thing is, since I started graphic design in 2005, a lot of our supplied PDFs were made using TTF fonts and we never ever had any problem. Ever.

So is there actually ANY reason anymore not to use a TTF font? I know some Mac fanatics still foam at the corners of their mouths when it's mentioned because Apple always supported Type 1 but I think my teacher basically taught me a bad and outdated habit dating from the 90s.
    When I used to work in a repro/production house ttfs would cause endless probs. Most ad agencies I work at only use OTF now. Besides they're pc things which are inherently EVIL

Thanks
    You say "cause endless problems" but don't say how. Were you using an old RIP? Did you use EPS files for RIP? (it's very easy to export your work with font in outlines for sending it to RIP - that's a standard thing to do)

Seriously, I can't imagine how TTF files can cause any problems unless you work with an ancient system that doesn't let you convert fonts to outlines and doesn't handle TTFs well. That's why I made this topic - to see if I'm missing something somehow. Even smaller printing offices here have equipment that can process TTF files easily.

armourer
    You say "cause endless problems" but don't say how. Were you using an old RIP? Did you use EPS files for RIP? (it's very easy to export your work with font in outlines for sending it to RIP - that's a standard thing to do)

Seriously, I can't imagine how TTF files can cause any problems unless you work with an ancient system that doesn't let you convert fonts to outlines and doesn't handle TTFs well. That's why I made this topic - to see if I'm missing something somehow. Even smaller printing offices here have equipment that can process TTF files easily.
    To be fair it was over 10+ years ago - in the days of quark 4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by armourer View Post
    To be fair it was over 10+ years ago - in the days of quark 4
    Quark was always notoriously bad at handling fonts - even Postscript ones. My memory is hazy, but I remember a bad bug where it would refuse to make a proper EPS file due to some default Mac font being tied to Quark files which couldn't be embedded.

This is exactly why I asked this question - it seems people remember the old problems caused by software incompatibilities rather than the font type itself being to blame.

Junior Member werdizthaword is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I use .ttf's all the time.... like you said if you use within illustrator lets say and create the outlines and size how you want there shouldn't be a problem....Being in the embellishment industry myself I run into a ton of old timers who are still stuck in the st age of things and refuse to get updated or use the most technological way of doing things. For instance with corel....I am strictly a adobe guy and 10yrs ago before I actually started printing and was brokering since I was strictly design, some of the shops I dealt with refused my arrk if it wasnt in a corel/vector format, so I started to output my own films when projects into them and said look I had no problem producing these films and so you need to stop being innovated with the outdated. Then my illustrator skills werent as strong as they are today and so i primarily used PS for design and learned as long as you design to size and at 300dpi your ok, and any raster that may be on the film is becomes obsolete once burned to a screen and printed to a woven garment. so in being sick and tired of these old timers I went and bought myself a 6/6 and a flash and ten yrs later I strictly only do t-shirt printing and always like to push the boundries. for example is I am constantly being told that CMYK can not be printed on dark garments, and set out to prove wrong. I print a solid keyplate/underbase and drop the CMYK on top and get the same results as if I were printing on a white garment..

So to answer....NO its a thing of the past and folks just need to update their styles period.
    Screen Print wizard of sorts

Donor samiartur has a spectacular aura about samiartur has a spectacular aura about samiartur has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks
    The problem is who make the font.
    Good companys like Linotype, microsoft, monotype, FSI and others make good TTF fonts.
    TTF fonts have more nodes but the hinting of TTF fonts are better them opentype.
    But unfortunally there are a lot of free TTF crap fonts in internet. This is the problem.

Junior Member AresFF is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I once heard that some printing companies with really outdated software and hardware don't like the interaction between TTF fonts and their RIP process. Whether or not it's true I have no idea!

Banned wildcard77 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    I imagine if the ttf file itself is problem (corrupt/old version/not wellmade)
    you could have problems

Banned kbrandon is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Aside from the occasional corrupt font (which occur across all formats--OTF, TTF, PS) , I've never had issues with TTF. I think perhaps the instructor's advice has more relevant at the time, but less so now.

11. Your ad here

Banned mattisme2003 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

So is there actually ANY reason anymore not to use a TTF font? I know some Mac fanatics still foam at the corners of their mouths when it's mentid because Apple always supported Type 1 but I think my teacher basically taught me a bad and outdated habit dating from the 90s.
    I've never had a problem when outputting TTF fonts for screen print or cad cut graphics. I just convert everything to outlines first. I realize production printing for magazines etc may be different; but for my methods of output I've never had any problems.

Banned salvatore is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    You won't have any problems with a good .ttf, not when converting to outlines like it has been said. However, nowadays lots of .otf have alternates and ligatures, so I prefer them when I'm doing the design portion and not just receiving the files.

Junior Member dekadists is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    better use OTF now

Junior Member carma depo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I have been using fonts like 12 years
    some font problems seen on quark many years ago
    but later we started to use miracles called indesign, illustrator and pdf

My advise dont use rubbish fonts from 1001 free fonts sites or make outlines

best option find proper fonts from around

Donor sillyink is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I have been doing prepress for about 12 years now personally haven't experienced any issues with ttf's other than the occasional corrupted version. Rips these days are pretty good at handling various font formats and besides that, you always have the option of outlining if you ever do have a problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast