+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tips to Find a Relevant Job at a Graphic Design Studio/Firm.

Junior Member oruamgraphiks is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Question Tips to Find a Relevant Job at a Graphic Design Studio/Firm.

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone around has any tips for finding a job in a graphic design studio or a bigger design firm. I understand this might sound very basic question but it would be very welcoming to hear some strategies that could help me or other people in similar quest.

So it would be nice if you could share some of your experiences, and what made you land "that job".

I´m interested to hear if anyone as the experience of finding a job abroad and also what are your thoughts on spontaneous applications, as it is what I will mostly try to do.

This is what I have already done so far:

• On-line portfolio (self-hosted)
    • On-line platforms (behance, tumblr, etc.)
    • Pdf portfolio (cover letter, resumé, selected work)
    • List of design studios that I would like to work (and their contacts).

Now all its left is to apply to them, and network around.

What advice you would give to someone to cut through the noise?
    Last edited by oruamgraphiks; 08-11-2016 at 05:05 AM.

Member netizen777 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Well, you mentioned the most important, the PORTFOLIO, but it has to be a very good portfolio , not too much works but a very good selection of your best works and skills.
    Also I would add to participate in some graphic art/ design contest and competions the big firms love to have teams with awards on their shelves.

And besides , make a list of websites of creative design agencies and studios an follow their CAREERS section ;-)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to netizen777 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by netizen777 View Post
    Well, you mentioned the most important, the PORTFOLIO, but it has to be a very good portfolio , not too much works but a very good selection of your best works and skills.
    Also I would add to participate in some graphic art/ design contest and competions the big firms love to have teams with awards on their shelves.

And besides , make a list of websites of creative design agencies and studios an follow their CAREERS section ;-)
    That is a very good advice!

Junior Member camicov is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Pick the agency you would love to work in, then find out who would be your boss in that place, then design the most creative piece of work selling yourself to that person as if you were the product that will solve his/her problems , then send the piece and find out if your work is as good to get you there

Don't forget a call to action , like now call me, let me visit you or what ever you think will be the next step...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to camicov For This Useful Post:

Junior Member Kyle G is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    In my career, my network has been absolutely critical – almost every position I've held, or freelance gig I've landed, has been the result of a referral or some word of mouth. Obviously your work needs to be good, and your portfolio should reflect that. But beyond that, the people you know can help out immensely. A lot of smaller, boutique firms don't post job openings so it becomes important to either introduce yourself to someone there or to solicit your book and follow up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle G For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle G View Post
    In my career, my network has been absolutely critical – almost every position I've held, or freelance gig I've landed, has been the result of a referral or some word of mouth. Obviously your work needs to be good, and your portfolio should reflect that. But beyond that, the people you know can help out immensely. A lot of smaller, boutique firms don't post job openings so it becomes important to either introduce yourself to someone there or to solicit your book and follow up.
    Basically I´m prety much doing what you´ve advise. Because I believe that is that way how the studio´s that I´m applying generally operate.

So I´m relying on my network (and expand it mostly via Linkedin), by asking for "help" and "knocking" at the doors as well.

The big problem that I´m facing is the fact that I live miles away from the city were the places I am applying to are located. Although, I´ve addressed this issue on my cover letter telling that I´ll be available to travel to meet anytime.

Anyway it adds more difficulties as I´m "competing" with people that can get an interview in a matter of hours... when I need to plan this whole trip (and that could be very expensive).

Anyway, I hope my work and my attitude and a bit of luck will help me find the path.

Please, keep the thread alive if you have any tips!

Junior Member phillip929 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    This is probably obvious, but showing your employer that you're willing to grow and learn with them into being a better designer is needed, because they're the ones who are gonna be investing in you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to phillip929 For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread