+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Software. and Workflowflow advice for epson 7900 new owner

PRC Member moutonnoir is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Software. and Workflowflow advice for epson 7900 new owner

Hi!

First post. Great forum!

I just put a epson 7900on order and am now looking fo advice to get up to speed as quick a possible. The printer will be used for 50% internal design roughs and informal prints, 25% serious work with pantones and client proof prints, and 25% for photo and fine art stuff and mostly on matte and glossy presentation papers. Mostly graphic design uses of various types. Here are the questions:

1. Is there a rip "available" that is going to be easy for a relativly printing inexperienced designer who wants mac and windows clients and tools to help me et accurate pantone colors

2. Is there a good aftermarket less-expensive ink that is recomended for purposes like mine?

3. Any additional advice on software tools I may not have heard about?

4. Calibration hardware? I am considering a datacolor spyderprint or spyderstudio options as they sure seem tohit more bases than the $1500 epson option. Is this goin to help e output accurate pantone and cmyk proofs? I use a dell u301 monitor.

Really looking forward to some learned advice on these subjects, I really hope this was a good equipment puechase - it is partially a hobby for me in a way, as my clients and work in no way require this level of inhouse print capabilites!

PRC Member moutonnoir is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    in the spirit of things, i will answer some of my own questions!

1) EFI or most any other popular RIP appears to be a good choice for a 7900 as it is a popular device which has been around since mid or late 2008

2)So far only ColorCone (inkjetmall) comes even close to satisfying my expectations for aftermarket ink or pigment documentation to be used in a brand new plotter.

3)I think some prepress plugin for my main tool, illustrator, will be found and used - possibly esko, possibly something else. i use esko now for packaging, and dont want the same quality for any other software if it can be avoided, so i will avoid esko.. but...

4)SpyderPrint will not be any good for Graphic Design centric calibration - it is RGB only - a ColorMunki could work, or waiting for a used i1pro is a good option - and a i1 will work with EFI and other RIPs for use of the built in color management tools.

The problem with the above statements is that they are based mostly on my reading - not on experience reports.

i cannot seem to register for luminous-landscape... their questionaire wont let me past and i have the answers as right as i can get them!

+ Reply to Thread