+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Self- Learn out here?

Banned aileen_yap is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Self- Learn out here?

I'm a self learn graphic designer..already working freelance for quite sometime.. but still a student of biomedical engineering.

I don't really have the confidence to call myself that coz I don't have a degree and and do all the learning by doing and by "stealing" ideas cleverly, coz I love to read and I also use a lot of references, stocks and freebies.

Idk.. I think what I do is pretty good since I do get a lot of nod from people around. I'm currently working as a layouter in a magz.

any suggestion on how do I get out of this? Should I take short courses for foundation?

what do you think of this? do you ever feel the same thing? am I just being an idealist?

Banned rancor is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aileen_yap View Post
    I'm a self learn graphic designer..already working freelance for quite sometime.. but still a student of biomedical engineering.

I don't really have the confidence to call myself that coz I don't have a degree and and do all the learning by doing and by "stealing" ideas cleverly, coz I love to read and I also use a lot of references, stocks and freebies.

Idk.. I think what I do is pretty good since I do get a lot of nod from people around. I'm currently working as a layouter in a magz.

any suggestion on how do I get out of this? Should I take short courses for foundation?

what do you think of this? do you ever feel the same thing? am I just being an idealist?
    Dont mean to sound offensive or anything close, but you should if not must study, for a simple reason, protect the industry, do you know how hard is to work as a designer and earn the good works price that good works worth? because non true designers or phonys demand less, because they just dont design, you honestly mentioned your method and thats something few of those "non-designers" usually mention and for that you have my respect. Understand this, we break our heads, backs, butts and most of all EYES studying, cutting, pasting, drawing, breaking just to learn the way of the designer, so that then we can hope to achieve a self sustainable job or a good position inside an studio so then we not only have to compete with people not knowing what we do, why do they need us, why the discipline is good for the world but also compete with people claiming to do our work for less, it destroys the industry. Of course people will nod, theyll love it, because thats the aesthetic value, design its not whats cute kawaii or ugly, its about communication, purpose and helping change the world. Design has become so easy to pronounce as a word as so easy to play like we design that everyone grabs photoshop and designs stuff. If you can't afford to pay its understandable, and thats why most grab stuff from here, but if you can, consider that you also help build a strong industry in your country. Design is expensive because everyone can copy this designer or that designer, but none can't copy that dudes chain of thoughts when he did the design process, just the results, what the people think they buy, and the true value relis on the entire process, the interviews with the clients, the doodles and draws to achieve ideas, and the computer phase. Its a whole. Reading books will surely help and never leave them, but also going to classes where a fellow designer will not tell you why something is good or bad but how to think!, thats something that not most people with good adobe suites do, the difference between watch and observe, listen and hear. Once thats done, youll find out everyone designs, from a single week schedule of activities from a large scale proyect. Give it a thought

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rancor For This Useful Post:

Banned dazzul is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Im 50/50 Started alone then progressed into college and university.

Try to always push yourself.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dazzul For This Useful Post:

Banned aileen_yap is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rancor View Post
    Dont mean to sound offensive or anything close, but you should if not must study, for a simple reason, protect the industry, do you know how hard is to work as a designer and earn the good works price that good works worth? because non true designers or phonys demand less, because they just dont design, you honestly mentioned your method and thats something few of those "non-designers" usually mention and for that you have my respect. Understand this, we break our heads, backs, butts and most of all EYES studying, cutting, pasting, drawing, breaking just to learn the way of the designer, so that then we can hope to achieve a self sustainable job or a good position inside an studio so then we not only have to compete with people not knowing what we do, why do they need us, why the discipline is good for the world but also compete with people claiming to do our work for less, it destroys the industry. Of course people will nod, theyll love it, because thats the aesthetic value, design its not whats cute kawaii or ugly, its about communication, purpose and helping change the world. Design has become so easy to pronounce as a word as so easy to play like we design that everyone grabs photoshop and designs stuff. If you can't afford to pay its understandable, and thats why most grab stuff from here, but if you can, consider that you also help build a strong industry in your country. Design is expensive because everyone can copy this designer or that designer, but none can't copy that dudes chain of thoughts when he did the design process, just the results, what the people think they buy, and the true value relis on the entire process, the interviews with the clients, the doodles and draws to achieve ideas, and the computer phase. Its a whole. Reading books will surely help and never leave them, but also going to classes where a fellow designer will not tell you why something is good or bad but how to think!, thats something that not most people with good adobe suites do, the difference between watch and observe, listen and hear. Once thats done, youll find out everyone designs, from a single week schedule of activities from a large scale proyect. Give it a thought

Thank you..

this made me think about the whole process... which I think "non-designers" also had.

just like making a scientific journal, one goes through many previously published journal and use it to support his, one design usually has one thing and another that supported it. nothing is new, but there is a definition on which something is good..

where is the line..

there are people who actually went to school and does not do good design and there are people out there , gifted with a good eye and create something beautiful with just simplicity..

that self sustaining job is also what I desire, because why would I even pursue design, if it's not my passion? :)

+ Reply to Thread