+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: School for graphic design?

Junior Member cancar will become famous soon enough cancar will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

Pratt

I highly recommend you to check out Pratt in New York, it doesn't get a lot of boring theoretical classes, and it's a good way to know all the graphic culture involving New York, and find a fulfilling job

Junior Member urbers is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    Formal training is key to a solid foundation. You can get this by immersing yourself in all things art and design. You can speed along your growth by studying under masters, through schooling or internships. Consume as much as you can. Output even more.

I received a BS, but I learned the most from my internship at an agency. I learn best by doing.

Banned siia_20 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I did my undergrad in a state school and MFA at a prestigious private school.
    MFA is only worth if you go to the best school possible:
    Yale, RISD, CALArts, Cranbrook. Other schools don't even compare.

Member brian0760 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Design is a public activity - the things we make are for others, and we often work in large teams to make them. So I always find it strange when people say that you can learn design by working alone in your bedroom. There is no secrets that are shared when you go to design school, its just a system that gives you experience more quickly, and more safely, than if you were to dive into design professionally.

Junior Member Spytz is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Everyone is different so it really depends. I didn't go to university but did a one year foundation course and have been working since. As you work you learn that it's not so much your talent as it is marketing it.

Banned din1451 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    It depends what you want to get out of it.

If it is about the skills then technical courses or online tutorials address those needs.

Formal training helps with thinking side of the profession. Sure it's more academic but it takes design beyond aesthetics to showing others how it can be a tool to help improve business and lives.

Junior Member Uyen is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    learned the softwares at home with tutorials and stuff
    went to advertising school for more conceptual thinking but it was never theoretical - mostly to get real-life briefs and professional advice

Member netizen777 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Well I dont know in which part of the world you are located, but SVA ( School of Visual Art in New York ) is one of my recommended ones. VIPs from design industry studied there, and some of their teachers are design legends like Milton Glaser ( the designer of I LOVE NY logo mark )

Anyway, if you cant afford studying abroad, you can read many books about graphic design and visual communication fundamentals and learn by yourself, there are many self-taught very succesfull designers all around the globe.

Junior Member Saint Jus is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I would have loved to have had formal training. I fell into my work as a sign maker and struggle to execute some of the ideas i have for jobs. At 40+ years old.. having formal tuition now is not an option for me unfortunately.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2