+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: School for graphic design?

Banned tranquilconflict is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

School for graphic design?

Do you think formal schooling is actually worth it in this field? If you've been through it, what was your experience like? What about grad school? Is it only good if you want to teach?

Member sim888 is just really nice sim888 is just really nice sim888 is just really nice sim888 is just really nice sim888 is just really nice
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tranquilconflict View Post
    Do you think formal schooling is actually worth it in this field? If you've been through it, what was your experience like? What about grad school? Is it only good if you want to teach?
    While I have a degree in design (communication design) there really is no right or wrong, its up to the individual, and what they 'learn' themselves. That goes for those formally educated too! That piece of paper isn't worth much if your work / folio is no good and you don't keep 'learning'...

good read here:
    Code:
    Only the registered members can see the download links/content. pleaseĀ Register to gain full access.

Banned poltergeist is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    If you are good, you are good. If not, no degree is gonna help you.

But it's not a bad thing just to meet some new people and to be in that surrounding. Who knows what door can open for you.

Banned rx61 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I went to art school but took graphic design courses while i was getting my degree. from my experience, i didn't so much need classes to learn technical stuff (so many good tutorials out there) but thinking about colour and composition, especially colour theory as well as lots of opportunities to discuss projects with people and get to know their work process was really beneficial. of course you don't necessarily need a degree course for this, but it helped me.

Banned skullface is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
    If you are good, you are good. If not, no degree is gonna help you.

But it's not a bad thing just to meet some new people and to be in that surrounding. Who knows what door can open for you.
    This is also the best advice I can give as a 2-year-program graduate. The most I got out of school (after teaching myself) was more practice and some good connections.

Banned megaphon is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    My personal pros and cons about studying graphic design (Academic degree)

Pros
    +Solving problems and working in groups has developed me differently
    +Given short deadlines and presenting non-perfect work takes you out of comfort zone
    +Seeing different solutions to the same problem made me think in new ways
    +Doing projects I wouldnt do otherwise have given me a broader set of "tools"
    +Going for exchange is awesome
    +Forced to study meaningful theory
    +Easier to get internship due to scholarship
    +Good network
    +Getting laid more often

Cons
    -Forced to study useless theory
    -Slow semesters make you lazy
    -Beeing poor
    -Having a debt
    -Getting laid with people you meet everyday

Banned chemun is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    imo a degree can help you in many ways if you are starting out. if you are talented then by all means keep create things and stay fresh then no school is needed.

Banned madbiologists is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    well most companies only hire people with relevant degrees

Banned cvwlbk is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    As with many other areas of study, not everything you do in school studying design will be worthwhile or necessary for success in your career. That being said, I think it is really invaluable in terms of teaching you how to work with others and forcing you to think and work differently than you would maybe like to. The importance of expanding the tools you have to solve problems with cannot be overstated. Speaking for myself, I found what I was actually taught during my MFA in design only moderately useful, but the amount I grew and learned on my own in those two years seems to me much greater than two years in the field.

Banned Sleveen is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    If you are planning on working on your own then no but if you are going to be looking for a job then definitely. Unless you are good enough to stand out among thousands.

11. Your ad here

Banned atp.ghost1 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    the money side of it sucks, but it has some real value in learning the basics. It's also a good way to make connections

Banned double0ziggy is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    My vote is always go to school. It can only help in all honesty. I got my degree in GD and the best part of it was the ability to work with other students and learn what they know and vice versa.

Banned panlis is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Going to school with GD class is good idea but you must to remember about responsibilities. With many projects in the same time you will not have time to do freelancers stuff's. A lot of my friends went to ASP (Polish University of Arts) and for 4-5 years they haven't time to do other things. If you have enough money or you are living with parents, you can try. I chose other way - I went to work and learnt so many things when I was doing new things. I don't have a diploma but I have experience. It's priceless :)

Junior Member lolasio is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I would recommend a formal education as a starting point. Usually, designers without an education don't respect the theory and history of design. Of course there are exceptions with people who are humble and self-disciplined. The biggest advantage I found of doing a bachelor degree in graphic design was constantly being surrounded by people with different specialties that you could get feedback from.

Junior Member GODIVA is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I went to a college of Liberal arts and Sciences, I got a bachelors on photography and graphic design, I feel like It helped me because several companies I applied to asked for at least a bachelors. The company I worked for actually investigated my schooling, so I believe that If you're going to apply to big companies that require some type of degree, It doesn't hurt to get it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast