+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Re-Designing a Logo

Junior Member cravedoritos is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Re-Designing a Logo

What do you guys recommend the best approach to re-designing a logo would be?

Project:
    St. Dominic Village - Houston

Thanks for everyone's feedback

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cravedoritos For This Useful Post:

Junior Member Kitch is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    This may sound sill but I always start by putting the name of the company requiring the logo into Google image search. This will give you some inspiration. Also ask the client whether he wants a modern or traditional feel. This will narrow it down a bit. I hope this helps.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitch For This Useful Post:

Junior Member dorothyp is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Research

Tons of research - I generally start by researching what's already been done and what people come to expect from a certain industry. Next I do a little research about the company (or in this case, the church/religion) and see if I can pull something from there. Maybe there is something of significance that makes them stand out from the others?

I also ask the right questions to make sure I'm on the same page with the client:

1. Is there a unique story behind the business or business name? This may be helpful in brainstorming ideas for your brand.

2. Are there any inspiring visuals you would like associated with the brand? For example: You would like to incorporate symbolic imagery that relates to the brand.

3. What words would you want associated with the brand? For example: dependable, trustworthy, helpful etc.

4. What is the mood of your target market? For example: Are they conservative vs. edgy?

5. What are the top three emotions you hope to convey through your brand and the design of the project?

6. What designs appeal to you and why? For example: You may like the style of Apple’s brand because it is sleek and modern.

7. Do you have any color preferences or dislikes that you would like to share? For example: You prefer a pastel palette and strongly dislike orange.

This usually gives me a good starting point to begin conceptualizing

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dorothyp For This Useful Post:

TGK
    Junior Member TGK is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    7. -> Ideally the client color tastes shouldn't matter as it's part of the brand identity, not his...

Junior Member dorothyp is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TGK View Post
    7. -> Ideally the client color tastes shouldn't matter as it's part of the brand identity, not his...
    That's true, but some clients can't see past that. You can persuade them all you want, but in the end if they hate green, they hate green - and sometimes it's best to get that out in the open before you do an all green logo

Sometimes clients have a color preference for a specific reason, it's good to know that up front.

Banned momentsbytimothy is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    When I am working on a re-design of a logo I look at the current logo they have been using along with their brand guidelines. If it exists, are they wanting a updating of it just to bring it to current times or do they want start completely from scratch?

Regardless asking questions as suggested by others here is a great way to get a feel/idea of what direction they want to go with the design. The list provided is quite good and may use it for my next logo consultation.

Remember that a logo and a brand are two different things:

- If there are brand guidelines the logo has to fit into (certain words or colors HAVE to be used) make sure you know that criteria.

- If no brand exists, I would take the time to create the logo in conjunction with brand guidelines. A logo without any sort of consistency really is just a graphic. Imagine seeing Target's Target in green, yellow, orange, or blue or McDonald's golden arches in silver that have been distorted into a slimline arch - would these unusually colored or distorted logos create the same feeling from those who see them.

In a day an age where internet presence is crucial (website(s), facebook page, google+, pinterest, etc) make sure that you consider the logo design in each of these applications.

Banned bela is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    if you're asked to re-design the logo and not to design the new one it's important for it to stay recognizable. i did tons of re-designs where it was crucial for new visual identity to have the same look & feel old one did (some old, well known & loved brands). it doesn't mean you can't change anything, sometimes leaving pretty much the same color (not necessarily the same shade) can be enough. or keeping the shape, similar font...
    when the user can still recognize "his/hers" brand without any doubt re-design is successful (i did heaps of packaging re-designs and learned the users don't want to spend time searching for the product around shop). hope that helps!

Banned Me Project is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Go for a walk to somewhere on your own thinking about the brief, take out a pencil and paper and write down your thoughts / ideas. Never start designing anything with a computer, all you will end up doing is copying something else that has already been done.

Banned htrv is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dorothyp View Post
    Tons of research - I generally start by researching what's already been done and what people come to expect from a certain industry. Next I do a little research about the company (or in this case, the church/religion) and see if I can pull something from there. Maybe there is something of significance that makes them stand out from the others?

I also ask the right questions to make sure I'm on the same page with the client:

1. Is there a unique story behind the business or business name? This may be helpful in brainstorming ideas for your brand.

2. Are there any inspiring visuals you would like associated with the brand? For example: You would like to incorporate symbolic imagery that relates to the brand.

3. What words would you want associated with the brand? For example: dependable, trustworthy, helpful etc.

4. What is the mood of your target market? For example: Are they conservative vs. edgy?

5. What are the top three emotions you hope to convey through your brand and the design of the project?

6. What designs appeal to you and why? For example: You may like the style of Apple’s brand because it is sleek and modern.

7. Do you have any color preferences or dislikes that you would like to share? For example: You prefer a pastel palette and strongly dislike orange.

This usually gives me a good starting point to begin conceptualizing
    nice bro

Banned andrethunder666 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    in my opinion you should do a search, look for what have been done and then you should think what you can do better. in some cases it could be really difficult, specially if the actual logo is really good.

14. Your ad here

Banned Pete899 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Watch some of these for inspiration!

http://www.noupe.com/design/creative-brainstorming-50-examples-of-the-logo-design-process.html

Hope it helps!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete899 For This Useful Post:

Banned Lil Chapo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Normally I start with some kind of creative brief, where i sit down with the client asking various questions, to get a feel of their goals and desires they want out of the project

Mr3
    Banned Mr3 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    i say find out if they plan on branding it in some way are they trying to attract more senior citizens,how conservative do they want to be. id say you have a good start with the letters (Stdv) and as they clearly are of the christian faith they wont want to be to edgy.

Banned Frikoroth is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I generally use Dribbble.com for inspiration

Banned realitym will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Walk it out. Leave the computer for a minute. Sketch something in a pad. Let it breathe a little. Dig and research into what is being 'branded', get to know the guidelines —if there are any—, play with the name in your head.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast