+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for Graphic Designers?

Banned freelt is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    Consider having three designs to show the client that you like.

Banned bayoubaby86 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rstyshklfrd View Post
    Think about what makes your favorite option desirable to your client. Does it represent the brand better than the other options? Why? Does it use metaphor to suggest something important about the client's company?

Salesmanship is an important aspect of design. If you want clients to pick a certain design direction sometimes they just need a little suggestion (after all, they should trust your opinion as the creative.. hopefully). If you start the project with thought rather than "this just looks cool" you should have no problem explaining why design could work better than another.

Good Luck!
    Couldn't have said it better!

Junior Member Aduanit is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    customer better to show option and then you can adjust the client

Junior Member werdizthaword is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Art3d View Post
    My friend, it's all in the numbers and what they see first. Consider it, an optical illusion, or reverse psychology. It works for me, all the time!!! In other words, make sure to number the best as #1 and slack off on the others. If all fails, charge more for the others. Less time designing means more my for you. In the end, everybody's happy. They get what they want and you make more my. Remember, you are a businessman , not a psychiatrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by rstyshklfrd View Post
    Think about what makes your favorite option desirable to your client. Does it represent the brand better than the other options? Why? Does it use metaphor to suggest something important about the client's company?

Salesmanship is an important aspect of design. If you want clients to pick a certain design direction sometimes they just need a little suggestion (after all, they should trust your opinion as the creative.. hopefully). If you start the project with thought rather than "this just looks cool" you should have no problem explaining why design could work better than another.

Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilli28 View Post
    Some classmates asked the same question to of my professors, he said clients usually choose the you like the least. But limit their choosing to the initial phases of the design process i.e. the first sketches. Then once they choose which direction they want to go, you'll be able to work more with the design to shape it into something that you like and something that works for the client.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzegraphics View Post
    That is a good answer, I usually design a complete set of logos ready to go and then ask them to choose. A course I studied at stage said first do black and white designs or even sketches, then let them choose. Then add colour and character. What happens then is that the client is not persuaded by colour as some people pefer certain colours. If the choose based on colour it is the wrong reason.

After they have chosen a black and white they will really love the design when they see it come to life with colour!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolgray9 View Post
    If you can explain to some, why you dont use Comic Sans...

Give them what they want. Next year they will need a new logo. (Oh, I told you why you need the other design...) And charge it again. Its business. You couldnt give them brain.
    OR give them only 1 option. They cant miss!

After all... Could you please convert everything to Word document?
    Quote Originally Posted by mendozaspeed View Post
    Tell a story and entice them on why they need to choose said design. If you can get in their heads and basically make the decision for them with reasons why, more chances or not they'll go for it
    Quote Originally Posted by rrnc550 View Post
    show them few old designs you will be able to findout the taste of the customers,
    create 3 design according to their taste...
    and hope customer hope chooses the best design..
    if the customer chooses the worst design (in my experience most of the customers choose worst design)..
    try to convice him by comparing good design and worst design...
    and at the end customer still likes worst design..their is nothing you can do..
    Customer is the King...
    These are apl great responses.....

I to fall into these situations and get ultra frustrated. As mentid before me not to play favorites, but in my opinion its kinda hard. Normally I get the gist of what they are wanting, then I go research everything about their industry, product, service, etc. Then Ill lurk the web seeing what other like businesses have used to represent themselves. I guess you can call it a personal brainstorming session...The usually after that is when I get all Add and create something that is their own but yet represents everything about them. As a former graffiti writer I take a lot of the fundamentals of it that is also used in corporate branding, to explain that is in graffiti it all about tye amount of tags, bombs (simple yet stylish letters usually in 1 or 2 colors), pieces (fully colored illustrative works) you can put up to get recognized, corporations do this with advertising and most major household brands typically fall within the 1-3 color range. So I personally always explain this and point out to clients that they dont want a over the top extravagant logo with 3verything under the sun in it, and reference companies like coca cola, pepsi, amazon home depot etc and how their logos are clean simple to the point. I like to call my style of design a stampable , because I want them to be able to stamp the crap out of it eveywhere and anywhere feasible (goinv back to the graffiti mindset) any can be transfered to any medium without a lot of work. I no longer do much design for businesses tyat are looki v for that type of design work since ive started screen printing almost 10yrs ago, but occasionally ill take on a project for a new startup. But I still run into this issue even with tshirt design, so in most cases I put my heart into 1 solid design and also set boundries and expectations with them fro. The start and let them know that this what you get and a few MINOR adjustments are ok (which I also explai. What I cons8der minor) and let them know that after that we will fall Into a hourly rate of x amount of dollars. This usually does the trick and they are happy with what I present about 9 of 10 times....
    Screen Print wizard of sorts

Banned troyp123 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzegraphics View Post
    I have been designing for many years now but I am still finding it difficult to persuade customers to choose a certain design.

Let me explain...I design 3 options. But I know 1 of them is the best and really want the customer to choose that 1.

Most of the time they choose the worst 1 which really dissapoints me.

Does any know of a way to persaude them to choose a certain 1 at least some of the time?
    Rethink your approach. Does each option equally solve the client's problem, or are you just showing the client what you can do by producing 3x the work for the same price?

If you ask the right questions up front and listen to the client and present something which solves their problem, you'll only need to present a single design.

Banned wildcard77 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    think hard
    work hard
    present the best 3 ideas
    charge equivalent to 3
    the client takes 1
    you have 2 best ideas in stock

you wont be disappointed :)

Junior Member Pappy is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pacobcn01 View Post
    Never offer them an option you do not want to choose... because they will choose. Sure.
    I find this can be true sometimes. While I generally stand behind most of my designs, I do have favourites and feel dejected sometimes when they don't choose it.

Junior Member WLMG is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I think good design should be thought of as a simple answer to a complex question.

The key is to involve clients in the process of trying to identify some essential 'questions' that their product / service will 'answer' – and reach an agreement on how design can assist / translate / publicize that function.

Don't provide them with options – it looks like you don't know the 'answer' to their 'question'.

Banned bullzito is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Explain why it's best for their purpose. You'll explain that with choice A will result in B, better than others through communication.

Junior Member GODIVA is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Just suggest the sample you think is the strongest and give them a well thought out explanation of why they should choose the sample you think is best.

11. Your ad here

Junior Member syzomux is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I think when you are presenting something you should never present anything you would not want to work with. Use the client's words to describe your best options. Try to focus on their goals and repeat stuff they have been telling you when describing your best option.

Banned bberger is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    When describing your products and its features to a client, try highlighting the strong suites of each design. Ideally, the client will take note of what you like about your personal favorite, but even if they don't they'll have a clearer understanding of the pros and cons of each option.

Banned kbrandon is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pacobcn01 View Post
    Never offer them an option you do not want to choose... because they will choose. Sure.
    Exactly. If you cannot bear to have them select Option #2 or #3, DON'T present them at all; only offer #1... because, in the end, they WILL choose the worst available. It never fails :(

Banned kittymarsh will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kbrandon View Post
    Exactly. If you cannot bear to have them select Option #2 or #3, DON'T present them at all; only offer #1... because, in the end, they WILL choose the worst available. It never fails :(
    haha so true, unfortunately. quality over quantity! ;)

so many great comments & ideas in this thread!!

Banned tmilner is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I think you need to ask them why they chose a particular option and explain (confidently) why you have a favoured option. Because from a client point of view they need to see that you are equally confident in all of the options, regardless of which they choose. You might have a preference but you should make your work so that you would be happy to go with any route.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast