+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for Graphic Designers?

Member fuzegraphics is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Question for Graphic Designers?

I have been designing for many years now but I am still finding it difficult to persuade customers to choose a certain design.

Let me explain...I design 3 options. But I know 1 of them is the best and really want the customer to choose that 1.

Most of the time they choose the worst 1 which really dissapoints me.

Does any know of a way to persaude them to choose a certain 1 at least some of the time?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fuzegraphics For This Useful Post:

Banned macha is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Do design your options best!
    So if they choose 1 of them, you won't be too disappointed :)

Too persuade them, you might recommend of the option you think best, with STRONG explanation why the client have to choose them.

In the end, don't forget, that client is the boss, and we designed the way they want, its for the client sake.

Good luck

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to macha For This Useful Post:

Banned rstyshklfrd is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Think about what makes your favorite option desirable to your client. Does it represent the brand better than the other options? Why? Does it use metaphor to suggest something important about the client's company?

Salesmanship is an important aspect of design. If you want clients to pick a certain design direction sometimes they just need a little suggestion (after all, they should trust your opinion as the creative.. hopefully). If you start the project with thought rather than "this just looks cool" you should have no problem explaining why design could work better than another.

Good Luck!

Thanks
    Thanks for your views on this, it has really made me think about how to approach my designs instead of trying to persaude my customers how to approach their options!

Junior Member Art3d is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Colour Separations

Quote Originally Posted by fuzegraphics View Post
    I have been designing for many years now but I am still finding it difficult to persuade customers to choose a certain design.

Let me explain...I design 3 options. But I know 1 of them is the best and really want the customer to choose that 1.

Most of the time they choose the worst 1 which really disappoints me.

Does any know of a way to persuade them to choose a certain 1 at least some of the time?
    My friend, it's all in the numbers and what they see first. Consider it, an optical illusion, or reverse psychology. It works for me, all the time!!! In other words, make sure to number the best as #1 and slack off on the others. If all fails, charge more for the others. Less time designing means more my for you. In the end, everybody's happy. They get what they want and you make more my. Remember, you are a businessman , not a psychiatrist.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Art3d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. Not sure what you mean by "if all else fails, charge more for the others".

The are quoted upfront. They can only choose out of the 3, how do I charge for the others.

Junior Member pacobcn01 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Never offer them an option you do not want to choose... because they will choose. Sure.

Banned cwilli28 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Some classmates asked the same question to of my professors, he said clients usually choose the you like the least. But limit their choosing to the initial phases of the design process i.e. the first sketches. Then once they choose which direction they want to go, you'll be able to work more with the design to shape it into something that you like and something that works for the client.

Banned decamedia is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    http://psd.tutsplus.com/articles/inspiration/teach-yourself-graphic-design-a-self-study-course-outline/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilli28 View Post
    Some classmates asked the same question to of my professors, he said clients usually choose the you like the least. But limit their choosing to the initial phases of the design process i.e. the first sketches. Then once they choose which direction they want to go, you'll be able to work more with the design to shape it into something that you like and something that works for the client.
    That is a good answer, I usually design a complete set of logos ready to go and then ask them to choose. A course I studied at stage said first do black and white designs or even sketches, then let them choose. Then add colour and character. What happens then is that the client is not persuaded by colour as some people pefer certain colours. If the choose based on colour it is the wrong reason.

After they have chosen a black and white they will really love the design when they see it come to life with colour!

14. Your ad here

Junior Member Coolgray9 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    If you can explain to some, why you dont use Comic Sans...

Give them what they want. Next year they will need a new logo. (Oh, I told you why you need the other design...) And charge it again. Its business. You couldnt give them brain.
    OR give them only 1 option. They cant miss!

After all... Could you please convert everything to Word document?

Banned mendozaspeed is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Tell a story and entice them on why they need to choose said design. If you can get in their heads and basically make the decision for them with reasons why, more chances or not they'll go for it

Banned cwilli28 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzegraphics View Post
    Then add colour and character. What happens then is that the client is not persuaded by colour as some people pefer certain colours. If the choose based on colour it is the wrong reason.

After they have chosen a black and white they will really love the design when they see it come to life with colour!
    That's good, I hadn't heard that reasoning behind black and white logos before! I suppose my sketches were always black and white and they chose from that.

A reason why I like doing sketches is because it gives me a chance to sit with the client during the early stages of the design, and it gives them the illusion that they're really a part of the design process because they chose the sketches they liked, even though I was in their ear the whole time giving reasoning behind the sketches I liked.

Banned laemcee13 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Earlier advice is right on the my. Present fewer options with increased quality. The more options of variable quality the client has to choose from. The greater the likelihood of them choosing the option you feel is weakest.

Learned that jewel from a professor in college

19. The Following User Says Thank You to laemcee13 For This Useful Post:

Banned lestercruz is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Do your best in everything. that way it will not screw up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast