Closed Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: quark or indesign

Junior Member mafetapaz is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I think inDesign is getting better every release.
    With the CS6 the digital publishing suite is great if you need to publish something on a tablet. and it's more itnegrated with the adobe suite, if you follow all the workflow from the layout to the editing of the single images/graphics I think it's the best solution.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Junior Member oxll_neo_llxo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I would go with Indesign on the basis I found it more fun to learn on than Quark.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Junior Member littlegreen is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Haven't used Quark in years but then again - I'd say it's just a matter of habbit. InDesign offers similar to all other Adobe products interface. So naturally - if you know your way around Illustrator or Photoshop or Fireworks or After Effects etc. you will get the idea of InDesign real quick.

My personal choice would have to be InDesign because of using Photoshop and Illustrator in my work.

All in all my suggestion would be to use the one you are familiar with and if you're just starting now - go with InDesign. As someone mentioned - using Quark will have you using Photoshop and Illustrator anyway and Adobes Creative Suite offers really nice compatibility between programs like editing elements without having to Save + Close + Reopen files etc.

Banned printhousepl is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Thumbs up indesign is far better than quarkxpress

easy interface,
    adobe software support,
    language support with cs6
    illustrator photoshop direct link

Quote Originally Posted by viezemies View Post
    witch to chose>

QuarkXPress is used by individual designers and large publishing houses to produce a variety of layouts, from single-page flyers to the multi-media projects required for magazines, newspapers, catalogs, and the like. QuarkXPress once dominated the market for page layout software with over 95% market share among professional users. While one publisher estimates that share has fallen to below 25% and Adobe InDesign is now the market leader, QuarkXPress still has significant marketshare. There are open source competitors in the page layout space, the most notable of which is Scribus.

Junior Member uman is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Freehand or Illustrator?

Quark was my first autoedition application (Pagemaker apart!), so I have a place for it in my heart. Unfortunately they didn't follow the user's needs along the years.

After a hyper-stable version 3 and a very versatile version 4, Quarkxpress takes too long to launch an update... Adobe launched Indesign about the year 2000 while the next Quark version was launched about 2002; also Indesign 2. While Quark keep its plugin policy, and almost the same interface, Indesign were more "nice" and intuitive for beginners. Some of the effects used to be by pay in Quark were included for free in Indesign: Drop Shadow, for example.
    Also, the compatibility with other Adobe's products were the incentive for designers to do a step to Indesign: copy and paste from Ilustrator to Photoshop, from Photoshop to Indesign, from Indesign to Illustrator...

Meanwhile, big agencies and press companies were still working with Quark 4 and 3.3 due to the higher cost of their licenses and the need to amortize them.

But the productiveness of Indesign versus its price where awesome, and almost all of those companies gave the chance to Adobe's application. The advantages of the Adobe's suite were impressive as a cheaper inversion. Indesign could export to PDF without the tedious task of first going through "printing" postscript and this, with the arrival of CTP and the updates of RIP machines which allows to import such files, were decisive in the host by the production and prepress departments.

Historically, there are some agencies which still use Quark in their workflow... But I think it's only an historically matter: So with Freehand and Illustrator.
    Sometimes I have to work with Quark or Freehand. That's because my clients are still using those apps.

In fact, you must decide by yourself which is the application that better fits your needs and which is more comfortable for you in your daily tasks.

Cheers!

Banned NICnoK is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Creative Sweet

Start with InDesign and let David Blatner show you how.

http://www.lynda.com/InDesign-CS5-tutorials/essential-training/59967-2.html

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NICnoK For This Useful Post:

Donor phellipeturunen is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

preferer

no doubt indesign is more easy and compatible with other softwares, specialy adobe

Junior Member deccept is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Indesign for me

I have worked with QX 3.32, 4, 5, 6, 7 and with Indesign 1-5.5. And my verdict is that Indesign is more productive, at least for me. I can do the job much faster with Indesign. Maybe it's because I learned all the shortcuts in Indesign.

Junior Member ericxian is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Our customers who in China, no one use Quark!

Caused by Chinese issue in past, whole market jump to Indesign.

Banned yarnik is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Indesign became popular because it is included in the Adobe

12. Your ad here

Junior Member Tommer is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    If based purely on function comparison,this is more of a philosophical question. If you really have to get work done, nothing beats a workflow of nondestructive correction layers in Photoshop on RGB images in .PSD format, with realtime update in Indesign and conversion to the desired output color space only on export.

Banned chenzhi is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Recommended indesign, indesign compatibility than quark good。

Banned yarnik is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chenzhi View Post
    Recommended indesign, indesign compatibility than quark good。
    not always good. I've had that I want to edit photos with Photoshop, but it opens in another program

Donor Printerone is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quark was the best up until 5.0 after that I believe they broke the program. I have been using InDesign ever since.

Banned leila is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    InDesign, since version 1.0... despite all its lacks, I found it already better than Quark!

But I still use Quark when my customers give me Quark native files. So, whatever the one I prefer, I'm still obliged to have and maintain up-to-date both softwares: cost me almost the double!!!

(I tried opening Quark 3.x and 4.x files in InDesign... works, but it's not the best solution!
    Markzware Q2ID converter could be a solution, but as good is this company in making converters, and as good are their products, I'm not 100% confident.)

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast