Closed Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: quark or indesign

Junior Member alonsp is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    germans will stay germans
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Junior Member stvvrules is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Haha that's a fact :)
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

dubhead
    Iam also a stubborn old QuarkXpress user....never got the Hang of Indesign.

Junior Member maggie134 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'd go for Indesign. I remember about 10 years ago Quark was actually to most popular app out there. Every publishing house used it, most designers used and I quite frankly HATED it. Right now I am very happy girl as Indesign won the battle and became THE most popular publishing app - YAY. Quark is outdated counter-intuitive and I hate working with it.

Donor j0209 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    Indesign beats Quark hands down. I've used Quark for the last 15 years and Indesign since version 1.0. Indesign keeps getting better while Quark just adds stupid features that nobody uses.
    I couldn't have said it better myself

Junior Member ohnno is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I've always preferred working in Adobe Suite, so InDesign would be my choice. I guess because their interfaces and the way each software is designed is similar, so you get a sense of compatibility and integration

freelancer81

Lightbulb difficult indeed...

i started my dtp career with quarkxpress and it has been about a decade now.
    recently, i tried out indesign cs5.5 and, guess what, i am loving it.

my review (i am about a month or two old in indesign!)
    * lacks the decorative border/stokes present in quark. it's not a big thing though...coz i can design one in illustrator or coreldraw and import it in indesign.
    * there are more useful plugins/extensions compared to quark.
    * more streamlined and better workflow using photoshop<>indesign<>dreamweaver<>flash...etc
    * you paragraph styles need not be based on any text style.
    * nested styles, nested line styles, grep styles and object styles in indesign are a boon indeed!

the verdict (according to me!)
    anyone comfortable with either of them can use the other pretty right away.
    technique wise, they are very similiar. anything you can do in one, you can do it too in the other...

freelancer81
    Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    Indesign beats Quark hands down. I've used Quark for the last 15 years and Indesign since version 1.0. Indesign keeps getting better while Quark just adds stupid features that nobody uses.
    yes...the way they update quark is really weird....nothing very new or useful.

ciamis

Wink

I think Indesign Most Pupular and User Friendly than Quark

Junior Member Bobmountain is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    For quite a long time, i tried to have people tellin' me why they still use xpress.

And i have no answer. and still.

I heard that xpress is quite fast and it looks like it indeed.

but in terms of possibilities, inDesign is quite excellent. GREP, variables (is that the good english term?), and all the stuff, the pdf exports.

On a regular basis we have some new editions of books, which were made with xpress 6 and i have this spectacular pop up while pushing the "cmd + s" button : 'end of file unexpected'!

i'll never go xpress.

i swear

11. Your ad here

Junior Member vidilla is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viezemies View Post
    witch to chose>

QuarkXPress is used by individual designers and large publishing houses to produce a variety of layouts, from single-page flyers to the multi-media projects required for magazines, newspapers, catalogs, and the like. QuarkXPress once dominated the market for page layout software with over 95% market share among professional users. While one publisher estimates that share has fallen to below 25% and Adobe InDesign is now the market leader, QuarkXPress still has significant marketshare. There are open source competitors in the page layout space, the most notable of which is Scribus.

I definitely prefer InDesign, work with both programs but there is no point of comparison, a thousand times better

speedy143
    Quark Quark Quark, although i see why indesign is becoming so popular as you still need photoshop and illustrator so you by CS and get Indesign any way.

Junior Member KitaCat is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

My choice

It's InDesign for me, but I learned it first and I'm never disappointed. It's good to learn both-- you never know what people may insist what you use.

Junior Member Majestic12 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I think it's because Quark is easier to pronounce in German ;)

But indeed, Quark used to be the best and ONLY program really, for doing layouts until InDesign stepped up and became powerful enough ... at a fraction of the price tag.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Majestic12 For This Useful Post:

Junior Member stvvrules is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    that could be true :p

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast