Closed Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: quark or indesign

Junior Member viezemies is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

quark or indesign

witch to chose>

QuarkXPress is used by individual designers and large publishing houses to produce a variety of layouts, from single-page flyers to the multi-media projects required for magazines, newspapers, catalogs, and the like. QuarkXPress once dominated the market for page layout software with over 95% market share among professional users. While one publisher estimates that share has fallen to below 25% and Adobe InDesign is now the market leader, QuarkXPress still has significant marketshare. There are open source competitors in the page layout space, the most notable of which is Scribus.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to viezemies For This Useful Post:

Junior Member hamster is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    After two decades I still prefer QuarkXPress. Simplicity and robustness wins in my case.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Junior Member zEze is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    yeah, same question over here;
    I want to learn one of them, and I don't know which one.
    I want it to be easy to learn and easy to work with, and something tells me that I should be heading for quark...

Banned fesg is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    well I have never used quark, but some friends have told me that it is the best.
    I work with indesign, and I never had a problem with it

Junior Member fbubnys is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    indesign is the best

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fbubnys For This Useful Post:

Junior Member leftdriver is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    The charme of InDesign is the perfect integration inside the Creative-Suite of course. XPress has lost many of its reputation since the last years, but with version 9 and the new features for iPad and eBook-Publishing I will give them an new chance. But InDesign is hard to beaten

Junior Member Majestic12 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I never liked Quark Xpress. Most of these companies still use old versions like Quark Xpress 5 or 6 which are horrible outdated - they were years out of date even when just released!

I actually missed a job offer because Quark Xpress 4 didn't even have the basic ability of creating a table making me fail their excercise. A TABLE! That was in 2006 for crying out loud. And with all the problems we had with Quark Xpress software combined with their outrageously high purchase price (QX used to cost as much as three CS Design Premium packages which was ridiculous) meant nearly every company I know dropped it like a brick. Only one huge printing company nearby still uses it and it's because they don't want to pay money to re-school their talentless workers.

For the new versions, I have no idea but when you have Illustrator and Photoshop as industry standards and then don't use InDesign when it's closely tied to it, it seems dumb.

Junior Member stvvrules is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I've recently worked with a trial of Quark Express and in my opinion indesign is far better.

I think the adobe selection is easier in use then Quark. It took me hours in Quark to edit a design from a client, something i would've done in less then half an hour in indesign.

This is off course my opinion and it could be that i didn't like Quark because of the fact that i'm familiar with indesign and the whole adobe collection.

Junior Member Majestic12 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stvvrules View Post
    I've recently worked with a trial of Quark Express and in my opinion indesign is far better.

I think the adobe selection is easier in use then Quark. It took me hours in Quark to edit a design from a client, something i would've done in less then half an hour in indesign.

This is off course my opinion and it could be that i didn't like Quark because of the fact that i'm familiar with indesign and the whole adobe collection.
    Well they say familiarity breeds contempt but for software it tends to be the other way around - it can be annoying and frustrating when a feature you take for granted in, say, InDesign, isn't to be found anywhere in Quark - like the example I gave of the old Quark not having any tables.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    Well they say familiarity breeds contempt but for software it tends to be the other way around - it can be annoying and frustrating when a feature you take for granted in, say, InDesign, isn't to be found anywhere in Quark - like the example I gave of the old Quark not having any tables.
    That's a true fact, somethings are in both programs but have different namings or places. That doesn't make it easy to :p

13. Your ad here

Member newstarme will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    best one Indesign. interface and other options is good

Junior Member atila is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    The best is Quark!!

Junior Member zaky.izzat is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    which one is the best? i think it's depends what we gona use it, i'm using indesign for book layout

Donor j0209 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Quark is outdated

97% of all source files that come in for print are indesign.

The only people that are using Quark seem to be the older designers and the small studios.

Aside from the workflow advantages that are very apparent when working with the entire creative suite. There are financial advantages to geting the creative suite bundle. Since quark is layout only you still need to buy photoshop and illustrator anyway.

Quark shot it's self in the foot when it stopped playing ball with education in the early to mid 2000's, no discounts for anybody. Adobe swooped in with CS1, offering it dirt cheap to schools and students. Trade/Commercial Printers have stopped supporting new versions of quark too, so forget about sending them with your job unless they are version 6 or 7.

Thanks
    The germans are still using Quark like crazy :p

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast