+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Printing black

Junior Member Klestigian is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Printing black

Hello,

Lately i had encounter a little big problem. And it is about a nice rich true black. I read all over the internet about cool blacks, warm blacks, red backs and so on. But i really want to get, to find a nice t0ne of black, to be more precise a PANT color, where i can easily change it to a dark/mid/light gray.

This issue with the rich black gave me a headache, so much trouble for a right thing.

Cheers.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Klestigian For This Useful Post:

Banned Siege is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Nice Solid Black

I always use a breakdown of C=20, M=0, Y=0, K=100,
    This combination has always worked well for me, crisp black.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Siege For This Useful Post:

Junior Member VassoV is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Klestigian View Post
    Hello,

Lately i had encounter a little big problem. And it is about a nice rich true black. I read all over the internet about cool blacks, warm blacks, red backs and so on. But i really want to get, to find a nice t0ne of black, to be more precise a PANT color, where i can easily change it to a dark/mid/light gray.

This issue with the rich black gave me a headache, so much trouble for a right thing.

Cheers.

I can't say if this is a question or just a comment. But if you ask about our experiences, I get good results using 100% black with 30% cyan. Or even better, C30 M9 Y9 K100. Grays from this combination are not bad either.
    However, when I know that I'd need more rich gray ts then I don't use a rich black but a rich gray combination. See example in the attached jpg.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VassoV For This Useful Post:

Junior Member Klestigian is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VassoV View Post
    I can't say if this is a question or just a comment. But if you ask about our experiences, I get good results using 100% black with 30% cyan. Or even better, C30 M9 Y9 K100. Grays from this combination are not bad either.
    However, when I know that I'd need more rich gray ts then I don't use a rich black but a rich gray combination. See example in the attached jpg.
    Thank you for your help. This was the thing i needed. Please excuse my barbarian way of asking for help.

I was tired of coloured, like red, brown, black t0nes because they do not fit the context sometimes. I appreciate your effort by doing a image with the color scale.

Junior Member zomod is on a distinguished road zomod's Avatar
    Thanks
    Getting quality black depends on many factors. First of all, you need to understand where you want to get it on the output device or on the screen? If the output device that will depend on the color of paint used and the type of device and the type of printed material. If you want to get rich black on the screen need to know what kind of monitor you use (many inexpensive monitors transmit disgusting black)
    For more detailed advice you need to clarify the nuances of your receipt of the black.
    Namely, what equipment you are trying to get it.

For example, say that the deep black color on printer HP Designjet 5500 using polypropylene material with a matte coated, I get the formula
    To 100% C 50-60% M 40-50% Y 40-50%. We used the Onyx RIP and third party ink Londoninkjet Dye/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zomod For This Useful Post:

Banned doomallcaps is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I always use the breakdown C60 M0 Y30 K100 which seems to achieve a really nice rich black.. Although I know every has there own personal favourites in terms of breakdown between achieving a rich / cool / warm black.

Banned maeiwill is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    its depend on digital or offset but try 50 - 40 - 41 - 100

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maeiwill For This Useful Post:

NJM
    Junior Member NJM is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    100% black with 30/40% cyan usually.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NJM For This Useful Post:

Junior Member trustter is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Siege View Post
    I always use a breakdown of C=20, M=0, Y=0, K=100,
    This combination has always worked well for me, crisp black.
    I used that breakdown a few times in the past. But I would also try

C=20, M=5, Y=5, K=100

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trustter For This Useful Post:

Junior Member andrewxprint is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

yes!

this is super helpful

18. Your ad here

Banned amidjang is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Just like what others state, it depends on the device as I've gotten a different rich black between machine A and B. I used to stick with 20 20 20 90 to get fairly good result on semi-pro home printer (doing project, mock up samples, etc.)

Now that I've been around in professional world, the easiest way to get your rich black is to : Ask your press. They know their machines the specific CMYK combination to get that rich black. Just discuss it with the tech, they should know and usually, I just leave my black on the final file as 100% K and they'll change it later on, after initial agreement of course.

Good luck.

Junior Member B4-Hunter is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Thanks! That's what I was looking for :) Black is always a problem...

Member soberali is a splendid one to behold soberali is a splendid one to behold soberali is a splendid one to behold soberali is a splendid one to behold soberali is a splendid one to behold soberali is a splendid one to behold soberali is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    i have 2 things i do -- if i don't have a lot of black coverage, i go with a hexachrome black (for cmyk printing). always works well. and if i have a piece that needs stunning, striking black for design, i go with my rich black which is 60 40 40 100. That's a really dark black, so i have to be careful if i do black on black with a lighter screened black (actually a gray tint) on top.

Junior Member printhound is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    How does this work with news print? it sounds like a good idea, but im always afraid of over saturation.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to printhound For This Useful Post:

Member soberali is a splendid one to behold soberali is a splendid one to behold soberali is a splendid one to behold soberali is a splendid one to behold soberali is a splendid one to behold soberali is a splendid one to behold soberali is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks

thanks printhound

i'm also afraid of oversaturation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast