+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Printers for students

Junior Member SpeakLow21 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I just finished design school myself, back in June. Foil stamping, die cutting, embossing, yes, all things for larger runs, but as mentioned above, there are work-arounds.

I found myself using a laser engraver here in town (Portland) several times, for engraving glass to "die-cutting" shapes on thick book board to engraving a wine box.

To foil stamp a piece for my portfolio, I used gold leaf (comes in different karats at different prices) by hand. Easiest way I found to produce foil stamping for one piece.

Die cutting, you could try to find someone who has a Cricket machine. Several of my classmates have used one, as did I.

I believe this was one of the hardest parts of school, resourcing these techniques and products! As far a printer goes, I used a Canon Pro 100 and printed on Red River 13x19" paper and trimmed down. My book was also hand-stitched by myself which garnered a great hand-crafted look for my printed piece.

Good luck!

Banned Ryansl8r is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I just finished up school this past month and I've tried several printers. Each job is different but this is how I broke it down. Duplexing and booklets are done at fedex kinkos late night shift. Poster prints and specialty paper prints were taken to a specialty digital printer. Everything else and comp stuff was printed at school to save money. It's really all about sourcing out the right printer based on specs and budget of the job.

Banned design fangirl is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by momentsbytimothy View Post

I know I have seen people do their own foil stamping with great success
    INSTRUCTIONS - http://howaboutorange.blogspot.com/2012/10/more-metallic-foil-exploits-with-free.html
    SUPPLIES - http://www.pulsarprofx.com/decalpro/store/Countries/USA/PulsarProFX.html
    I have used these products myself with a lot of success. It works better on some printers than others, and you'll want to make sure that your rollers are clean so none of the toner gets onto the paper where you don't want it, because it will stick, even in small spots. Otherwise it looks great and my classmates were amazed at the results. My teacher called me her crafty student.

In addition to the Cricut machines someone else mentioned, for die cuts you can use Fiskars brand paper punches. They come in a lot of shapes and sizes and I always manage to find them on sale or have coupons for my local craft store. Of course they have a limited selection of shapes but if it's something basic they can be useful. I have several of them.

Junior Member arlet is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    hp deskjet f2480 or other deskjet series are good. This one includes printer, scanner and copier. I think its good for student

Junior Member Gordon is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    cannon pixma pro 9500

Junior Member Bommen is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Canon Pixma Pro-1. Really good Prints!

Junior Member prawntoast is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    build up a relationship with a print broker. They keep their finger on the pulse with regards to the actual printers and their job is to find you the best deals and quality

Banned pinktank is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Build a relationship with a local and tell them that you can send them non time-critical work that they can produce in between jobs, it would help them gain experience with a variety of techniques, and have future clients (your students)

Banned red13th is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    for better customisation settings i prefer use epson for printing good quality photo,

Junior Member tkflip will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

Elite4Print Trade Printers

I use this place for work all the time. Their prices are the best I've seen anywhere:

www.elite4print.com

Their minimums are 500, but honestly it's cheaper to get 500 business cards, postcards, brochures, etc from them than a 100 at a local place.

Great quality as well.

11. Your ad here

Member brian0760 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    PaperChase press is a "high-end" Blurb that does foil stamping and such. Many schools in California use them for portfolio printing.

http://paperchasepress.com/portfolio-program/

Banned mossydenis is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I used (and still use) and Epson 1400 for printing proofs. The 'Matte' paper by Epson is excellent. I used it all the time. I also used 'glossy' and 'satin'. By having an 'A3' printer at hand - gives you an extra few days when on tight deadlines for college. If you were super organised or everything was going well you could always check out www.presslab.com

At least your thinking ahead. I had fantastic ideas for some of my projects in college, but sometimes I was just lucky to have to stuff printed on time. Our lecturers would not let us move on until the concepts were viable. This back and forth with concepts, often went up to the 8th week on a 12 week module.

Best of luck with your studies

Banned orenjinatsu is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    We use Epson Stylus T1100 and it works great

Banned cwilli28 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I've had success just meeting with local print shops. Telling them I'm a student and wanted to stay local with my business. They usually offer decent pricing, and will give more of a discount if they don't have to cut it themselves.

Banned JohnLocke is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    There's a place in California called Purrfect Color that offers short-run rubdowns and foil stamping : http://psykocat.fatcow.com/transfer-graphics-informati.html

Diginate also offers short-run sticker printing : http://www.diginate.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast