Closed Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Photoshop or Fireworks? Which do you prefer

Junior Member wootant is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    If I had to choose between Photoshop and Fireworks, I'd say InDesign.

Fireworks can't edit images like Photoshop does so I guess the question is not about that. I saw a few people talking about web design here. So let's talk about mockups.

A mockup for web or print purpose is better made in InDesign. Linking text boxes to styles is so powerful and font testing is so easy that you get addicted to it. There are tons of tools for spacing, aligning and placing content boxes in the layout. There's also a robust automation system which allows for more complex stuff.

Now if you need an interactive mockup, you'll probably use some other software. Anything but Photoshop for that matter. Catalyst is truly for hi-fi interactive mockups. I saw a while ago a plugin to export HTML 5 from Illustrator, can't say much about it though.

I've never used Fireworks in projects because it was either incomplete some years ago or less interesting than InDesign right now. To me, Fireworks is a bit like Director, it might disappear to the profit of Catalyst which might become The mockup tool for HTML and Flash/Flex.

Photoshop is totally useless as a layout tool. On the other hand, it's perfect for the graphic design of raster elements and for photo handling.

Many people in packaging design appreciate Esko's plugin for Illustrator, and a little Photoshop here and there for raster graphics like product pictures on the package.

Then there are the illustrators who use wacoms and brushes over and over, either on Photoshop or Painter. Gimp is a bit weak compared to them in this domain but it could change later I guess.

Finally you got some 3D workflows where textures are done the old fashioned way in Photoshop and why not in Gimp.

That pretty much covers it.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wootant For This Useful Post:

danielmota
    I use illustrator and photoshop...
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to danielmota For This Useful Post:

Junior Member butchershop is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    photoshop

6. The Following User Says Thank You to butchershop For This Useful Post:

Junior Member Luca is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Photoshop does everything Fireworks does and then some. I'd even take PS Elements over Fireworks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Luca For This Useful Post:

Junior Member AlexPS is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I use photoshop and corel or illustrator... I think that Fireworks is better suited for web design

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexPS For This Useful Post:

Junior Member GdRDesign is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I use always photoshop. I know you can use Fireworks for websites but i use photoshop and it works great!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GdRDesign For This Useful Post:

Junior Member KarenStevens is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Fireworks for Vector Graphics
    Photoshop for Bitmap Image

I use fireworks for graphic designing and photoshop to design a web layout. This two comes in handy but most of the time i use photoshop...

"If I can see it in my mind, I can create it on the printed page."

- [URL="http://www.spacelightdigital.com/graphic_design.html"]graphics design in Los Angeles[/URL]
    Last edited by KarenStevens; 02-17-2012 at 09:15 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KarenStevens For This Useful Post:

Junior Member kxpwrbmp is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Photoshop all the way

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kxpwrbmp For This Useful Post:

Junior Member butchershop is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Smile

photoshop all the way

18. The Following User Says Thank You to butchershop For This Useful Post:

Junior Member atila is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Photoshop for bitmap Fireworks for vector

20. Your ad here

Junior Member Majestic12 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by resdog View Post
    With the acquisition of Macromedia, Adobe has brought Fireworks into it's line of CS products. I was having a discussion with one of my buddies at work, and he seems to think that Fireworks is the "de facto" design tool. I wanted to get a professional opinion on this. So what do you use? Photoshop? Fireworks? GIMP? Some other program?
    If you send a Freehand or Fireworks file to any design studio or printing office, you'll hear them cursing from miles away. Fireworks & Freehand were for making web graphics, that's it. Neither was ever meant to be used for making professional printable material and while they're fine for someone at home to use them, remember that the price of this software like a quarter or even less of what Photoshop or Illustrator cost like.

Junior Member stvvrules is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Definitely Photoshop

Junior Member alonsp is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    photoshop def

Junior Member zaky.izzat is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    for digital imaging photoshop is the best

Junior Member artistmd is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I agree illustrator is the way to go

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast