+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: PDF repair. How?

  1. #1
    Member UserD is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 24 Times in 10 Posts

    PDF repair. How?

    How is the way to extract full of partial resource from broke pdf file?

  2. #2
    Donor delfinr5 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts

    PDF repair

    Quote Originally Posted by UserD View Post
    How is the way to extract full of partial resource from broke pdf file?


    Recovery Toolbox for PDF


    http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/es/pdf.html

  3. #3
    Member UserD is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 24 Times in 10 Posts

    Recovery Toolbox for PDF

    Thanx
    This is a unique solution? Who know another way?

  4. #4
    Donor delfinr5 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UserD View Post
    Thanx
    This is a unique solution? Who know another way?
    FREE

    http://advanced-pdf-repair.archivospc.com/

  5. #5
    Junior Member Denver will become famous soon enough
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 67 Times in 9 Posts
    In my opinion it's not worth to play with repairing broken pdf files, anything could happen, and not guaranteed that the restored file is the same than the original one.

  6. #6
    Junior Member gama74 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
    Here are three examples: Recovery for PDF, Advanced PDF Repair or Recovery Toolbox for PDF.

  7. #7
    Banned leila is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    86
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Even if it is not a PDF editor, Illustrator can help sometimes

  8. #8
    Junior Member Polopolo will become famous soon enough
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 46 Times in 12 Posts

    Lightbulb PDF Recovery

    Recovery Toolbox for PDF is for me. I presonaly don´t recomend to repair a PDF file, belive me, just problems.


    P.D. Sorry for my english. Bye.

  9. #9
    PRC Member r00tp will become famous soon enough
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    107
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UserD View Post
    How is the way to extract full of partial resource from broke pdf file?
    What exactly are you trying to recover?

  10. #10
    Member UserD is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 24 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by r00tp View Post
    What exactly are you trying to recover?
    Thank you.
    In my work I get a lot of pdf files by e-mail. Sometimes files are corrupted. But this is not always important. Sometimes it is necessary only in general terms have an idea about the contents. To save time, the question arose. Files - mostly text and few illustrations.

  11. Your ad here

  12. #11
    Junior Member maxmax is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    In a complex prepress/press workflow I think the best solution is to create a new PDF from the source application.

  13. #12
    Donor Dannymonky is on a distinguished road Dannymonky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boca Raton
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    I agree w/ the genera consensus----start over and avoid possible issues down the road. I've "saved" a bad pdf and its bitten me in the ass. Never again.

  14. #13
    Donor CrossyPrinter is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    If it cant be opened directly into Illustrator, which edits and saves pdf files natively then I wouldnt bother going elsewhere to fix something that is surely broken, unless ofcourse it was needed and the client was willing to pay!

  15. #14
    Banned leila is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    86
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossyPrinter View Post
    If it cant be opened directly into Illustrator, which edits and saves pdf files natively...
    Sorry my friend, but you are wrong: "PDF being native Illustrator format" is a myths and a urban legend, that founds its origins in a bad comprehension of PDF format and Illustrator files, and in a tricky header in the .AI CSx native files.

    First, the native file format of Illustrator is PGF (Progressive Graphic Format), which is based on the same object-structure than PDF, but is completely different.
    The trick is that the PGF datas are embedded in a PDF structure! So a .AI file begins with a "%PDF-1.x" header, like a real PDF... and this header caused the first wrong interpretation of .AI format, and the first origin of the myth.


    Second, Illustrator doesn't save in PDF natively: Illustrator saves natively in its own PGF format, and produce the PDF by using a "PDF Library" that converts the native PGF datas in a PDF.
    (like InDesign saves its native datas in "Indd format" and can also export in PDF format using a "PDF Library"...)


    Third, Illustrator files are a little bit tricky, because they can be two components files (and they are by defaut), embedding in the same file: a PDF + the native Illustrator PGF datas, giving to these files some extra (and strange) behaviour...
    The best way to understand this structure is to read [url=http://rwillustrator.blogspot.com/2006/11/whats-in-file.html]this information[/url], that explains in detail (and in good english!) what's in an Illustrator file...


    To make the long story short :

    • saving a file in ".AI" format with the default option "Create PDF Compatible File", makes a file containing the native Illustrator PGF datas + a PDF 1.4... AI datas are "first" and the PDF is "second"...
    So, the file has the icon of an Illustrator file, and a double-click on it launches Illustrator: Illustrator then opens its own PGF datas and ignores the PDF...
    But it is possible (by right-click or drag-and-drop) to force this file to open in Acrobat, because Acrobat can find the PDF that is "behind" the PGF datas and can open this PDF, ignoring the PGF datas.

    • saving a file in ".PDF" format from Illustrator with the default option "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" makes a file containing a PDF + the Illustrator native PGF datas... again these 2 component are present, but the PDF is "first" and the AI datas are "second"...
    So, the file has the icon of a PDF file, and a double-click on it opens the file in Acrobat (or Preview): Acrobat then opens its own PDF datas and ignores the .AI native PGF datas...
    But it is possible (by right-click or drag-and-drop) to force the file to open in Illustrator, because Illustrator can find its own PGF datas "behind" the PDF, but in this case Illustrator opens its own PGF datas, and ignores the PDF.

    This special behaviour of Illustrator files, with .AI files being openable by Acrobat and the PDFs being openable by Illustrator achieved to convince people that .AI files are PDF allowing the myth to spread because it was easy to believe and verify for people who stay at the surface of the Illustrator files behaviour... but digging a little bit deeper in this behaviour, mainly by unchecking the defaut options, shows that the myth is wrong, because in fact Illustrator always opens only its own PGF component, and Acrobat always opens only the PDF component.

    And that's easy to verify:
    - save an .AI file without the "Create PDF Compatible File", and you'll see that this file will NOT open in Acrobat (and you will not be able to import this file in InDesign, nor to rasterize it with Photoshop!!!). Really, you must try it: the result is very interesting!
    - save a PDF from an Illustrator CMJN layout containing RVB or duotone linked raster pictures, without the option "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities", and re-open the PDF with Illustrator: you'll see that your file has changed... linked picture are now embedded, colors are changed, and many other issues appear because the PDF has been really opened by Illustrator, and Illustrator is a bad PDF editor!
    - save a PDF from Illustrator with the option "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities", then open the PDF with Acrobat, make some changes using PitStop, ignoring the warning dialog-box saying that "This file contains part of informations in Illustrator", save the PDF, and re-open it with Illustrator: you'll see that what you had changed with PitStop hasn't changed in Illustrator... because with PitStop/Acrobat you worked on the PDF component, leaving the .AI component untouched, but when you open the PDF in Illustrator in fact you open the untouched native Illustrator datas component.




    So, if you have an Illustrator PDF, saved as PDF with the "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities", YOU CAN open it in Illustrator without any problem, because you will NOT open the PDF, but you will open ONLY the original native .AI datas.


    But if you have any other PDF (distilled, exported from InDesign or Quark, or from Word or any other software), you will then force Illustrator to open a real PDF, and then you will have all the problems that occur when trying to edit a PDF with Illustrator:

    • PDF can embed objects in any colorimetric modes together, but Illustrator can handle ONLY ONE mode : RVB or CMJN... so, all colors will be converted in CMJN or RVB, depending of the mode of the objects in the PDF vs the mode set in Illustrator...
    For example, a duotone picture black+Pantone will keep its Pantone layer but the black will be converted in CMYK if illustrator is set in CMYK mode!

    • PDF can embed fonts, but Illustrator cannot use them... so, all the fonts will be missing, texts will reflow more or less, and you'll have to work hard to recompose or correct texts fragmented in hundred or thousand of little pieces that can be as little than only 1 letter!
    (less the text is fragmented, easier it is to work on it, but bigger is the reflow... and more the text is fragmented, less it reflows but more it is difficult to work on it!!!)

    • PDF is multi-pages, but Illustrator is mono-page... so, to open a 16 pages PDF, you will have to open each page individually, page after page, patiently, and you'll finally get 16 PDF (or .AI) files, that you will then have to recombine together... hope that you have a PDF workflow able to rasterize PDF page-by-page and recombine the rasters, because otherwise:
    - if you try to recombine the 16 PDF in 1 PDF using Acrobat you will probably get issues with all the 16 different font subsets embedded in the 16 different PDF...
    - and if you import these 16 PDF in 16 pages of InDesign to re-export/distill a PDF, you will probably get the (known) issues of the re-frying!


    So, yes you can open a PDF with illustrator, but it's tricky, very tricky... meaning that:
    - either you know exactly how PDF and Illustrator interact together, you know what is possible to do, you know what and where are the problems, you know what you have to be careful with, you know what issues you will get, and you know exactly what to do fix them,
    - or, if you simply guess that Illustrator can open a PDF because you wrongly believe the urban legend that Illustrator "edits and saves pdf files natively", then you will be tricked by (known) problems you even cannot imagine that they could exist!!!
    Last edited by leila; 06-14-2011 at 02:30 PM.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to leila For This Useful Post:

  17. #15
    Junior Member univers1314 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    sorry ...only Download the file from ftp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SysInfoTools PDF Repair Tool v1.0
    By worker in forum Full Software
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 07:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts