+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Tips for a hand drawn logo design

Junior Member aalish is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Need Tips for a hand drawn logo design

I am very new to logo, I have some experience with hand drawing, I got a request from a potential customer and she asked me to hand draw for her a mermaid with some other extra stuff. I want to make it to a silhouette and vectorize it.

if anyone has any tips about hand draw logos, or they can post some type of book that help them for such thing it would be greatly appreciated.

Before anyone jumps to judgment, I didn't ask for money ahead, I told her is she likes it, she can pay for it, If she doesn't like it, I will be happy with the experience, since im new to this.

Thanks,
    Aalish

Junior Member Soren is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Well, it's very hard to give advice, because everyone has their own opinion on the subject and it pretty much sums up as what works for you. But here's what I can tell from personal experience:

1. Try to ask her if she's seen anything she liked particularly. Maybe show her some references. That way you can solve two things at once: you'll make out what sort of style she's expecting and you'll also see how someone else solved a similar design.

2. Ask her what she plans to use it for. Design is always about the final user, not just about the client. Explain to her that she needs to think in terms of what will work best for her objectives, not just what she finds pretty.

3. You should try to make decisions based on that final user as well. Most of the time logos gain a lot by being simple, but some other times more information means more space for detail. Since it's going to be hand-made, you could as well try to exploit that and not hide the traces. A hand-drawn logo says something different than a synthetised one.

And finally you'll still have to make a digital version of it, so be careful on how you vectorize the logo, you don't want anything lost in the way.

Hope that helps!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Soren For This Useful Post:

Banned soapb0x is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Yeah, definitely need to take your client's customers into perspective. Ask the client what they want their brand to represent and how do they want people to feel when they see the brand.

Ask as many questions as you feel necessary to do the best job.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to soapb0x For This Useful Post:

Junior Member Erin is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Does she want it to look hand drawn or to actually be hand drawn? Or does she even know? Seems like I often am specifically told the method to do some artwork, but the direction is coming from someone who doesn't really know what they're talking about--they might be using the term "hand drawn" just because they don't understand that there are many different ways to go about creating designs, it's not all always about drawing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Erin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    She has showed to me a picture how she wants the mermaid to look like, she showed me a drawing, but she wants it golden, so I want to hand draw the silhouette, vectorize it and apply some type of golden texture on. Or something like that, I will see how I will do this process.
    She also told me the fonts she wants to use and like which logo to look similar.

Pretty much I know what she wants, she wants something elegant, golden but also female/sensual for her jewelry shop.

If I was little bit more familial with the pen tool I would make it right away at illustrator, but Im better making it at hand.

Look, I make graphics a year now with digital banners, and so far for custom requests I have 99% success I am aware that logo is a whole new level, but it is a process which I want to do it and make it for her.

Banned danielvann is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Search for references.

Draw a bunch of different option styles.

Try the effects on them on a computer, even before vectorizing.

Vectorize.

Always remember that a logo has to work without effects –full white or full black, otherwise you might have issue applying/printing it on some surfaces & technologies.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to danielvann For This Useful Post:

Member linx9 is just really nice linx9 is just really nice linx9 is just really nice linx9 is just really nice
    Thanks
    Von Glytschka has a really good series of videos in lynda.com that explains a lot about logo designing.

He not only explain the drawing and designing process, but also shows tips on how to deal with clients, how to present your logo, good questions to ask your client, etc

I think the name is "Foundations of Logo Design"

Hope that helps in someway

12. The Following User Says Thank You to linx9 For This Useful Post:

Banned ranchodeluxemedia is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Read through Von Glytschka's PDF tutorials here >> http://www.illustrationclass.com/

They helped me understand not only the digital aspect, but helped with drawing and inspiration.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ranchodeluxemedia For This Useful Post:

Banned ablitz is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    If you're not familiar with the software then its best to get the logo as approved as you can during drawing stage, you dont want to spend time messing around with the pen tool only to find that the client will want things changed...

On a somewhat related note,

While it is good to do a design that a client like, you have to be careful to balance like with what actually works. Depending on the client you have to change you approach towards this as well, because at the end of the day, the logo has to work or they will not return to you despite you creating a logo they may like.

There is also a danger of infinite changes (especially for free jobs) that you may want to tackle

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ablitz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yes, you are right,

I am trying to take this as much less stressful as possible, Im not working well with stress to be honest, that's why I don't want money before hand.
    Someone giving me their money before they are absolutely sure they want a design from me, it stresses me out very very much. (im a whoosh!)
    Working on free samples, so far I have a great success, so I will stick to that policy.
    Even if it doesn't work out, It will not bother me, it will make me exercise my skills more at drawing, illustrator, etc... so I see the positive.

I have studied some marketing (which I know a couple of things about selling something and how to present yourself, and lately Im also studying more about logos), and I have a very good eye for "higher aesthetics" Im 100% sure that's my whole success which attracts people asking me to do things for their businesses, because there are much better talented people out there, Im not anything special at drawing or Photoshop (or illustrator)

18. Your ad here

Banned soapb0x is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    You don't take a deposit? That is a HUGE mistake. What if you finish all the work and the client doesn't pay you? What are you going to do? You just wasted your time doing work for nothing.

If you can't manage the stress, you are not going to be successful in ANYTHING that you do. This is true for any industry and any job: There will always be stress. What I'm hearing from you is a lack of confidence and a fear of failing and disappointing your client.

Do not be afraid to make mistakes. You will not learn how to be a better businessperson unless you make mistakes and I guarantee you that mistakes will happen. It is part of the process. You can't jump from amateur designer to Superstar designer overnight, you have to be willing to fail. Failure is not an end. It is an opportunity to be better.

You can do it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to soapb0x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ soapb0x,

oh thank you!
    I get what you are saying, but I offer my services at etsy.com which it has open reviews, I cannot risk a bad review from an unsatisfied customer, believe me I have seen it at other shops, so take it also, aside me being a whoosh, as a business tactic,
    If I take a deposit, it will have to be though etsy, if the customer doesn't like the outcome, she can leave a low review from the deposit. If I don't take the deposit through etsy, and she file a complain against me, I will be targeted and risk closing my shop, drag my name to forums etc...
    If I give her a refund, why should I loose all the fees for etsy, paypal/bankcard? Those are not refundable, I have to pay for them.
    Do I really want to have all that drama just for 1 job which even if she doesn't buy it, I can always use the mermaid for something else?

Of course you can argue, hey, find another venue, etsy is busy, it has lots of traffic, it worth to be there and have a shop and make sales.
    There are graphic designers what sell logos from 10 dollars to 1000 dollars, photoshop templates, printable invitations, printable art, banners, clip art etc.. and they make really good money, some make 20K per year, some make 100K per year.
    It is a great venue.

so far all my reviews are 5 star (the maximum) and with my policy I have success at custom orders 99% (the 1 time the customer didn't like it, it was because she was attracted by a simple freebie I was giving at the time, not my overall style of graphics) which I think it is pretty good for someone who started a small shop a year ago playing around with photoshop.
    But I worked my ass off learning at a professional level, giving excellent quality graphics.

But logos is a whole new level, it is a big responsibility! I have to work it to be more confident and to feel more secure with my knowledge etc...
    Ethically I cannot take people's money like that.

I remember when I asked from other designers a friendly critique they used to tell me to raise my prices and to look more professional, I did make the change after 4-5 months having the shop and my income/sales sky rocket in a month to double.

I am happy with my overall progress, I achieved within a year a great base and I keep learning everything I can from good professionals to be able to give something great.

+ Reply to Thread