+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some advice about building your own website

Junior Member hilary468 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Need some advice about building your own website

Hello everyone. I am not sure if this is in the right area, this is pretty much my first time posting here although I have been coming here for awhile. I apologize if I do something wrong.

Anyway, I need some advice. I basically am starting my career as a makeup artist (freelance) and I am to the point of needing my own website (for obvious business purposes). I am pretty good with computers but I have never had my own website or written code or anything like that. Can someone give me an idea of where I should start? I need some direction! I can pay for the webpage of course (within reason) but I don't even know how much it cost or even where to start! Help! Thanks in advance

Junior Member skinforskin is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Maybe https://www.squarespace.com/ ?

Junior Member craz is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Squarespace is incredibly easy to use, and produce slick single-page websites. Would recommend to anyone, really.

Junior Member ro_____ is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    about half of my studio mates use the kalium theme for wordpress. Looks pretty simple and robust if you want the one time payment route.

Junior Member ettubrutesbro is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Cargo collective and 4ormat are also popular amongst many artists (photographers, architects, etc.) I know who don't want to code their own

Junior Member bonnievy will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Squarespace.com — it would be useful to know some custom css, PM me if you need help.

Member orangesoire is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Having been a web designer for 10+ years, it pains me to suggest these options, but it seems that the industry is moving this way - like it or not.

WordPress has a lot of options and the core of it is free. IMHO it is not a Content Management System (CMS) - it is a glorified blogging tool that people stretch into a website platform.

I have friends that use Squarespace and they have very attractive templates.

Wix.com also has stepped up their game, but I'm not of their current feature set.

With any of these, you are not getting a unique website experience for yourself or your customers-you're getting a predesigned template that tens of thousands of others will be using to promote their businesses. There was one time when I would argue that this makes a statement about how unique your business is, but for getting started, these are all very solid tools to help you get a presence and fast. Perhaps after you are more established, you can hire a web designer and/or developer to build you a custom site.

Hope this helps!

+ Reply to Thread