+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is Money a Motivator?

Junior Member ciggytardust is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Is Money a Motivator?

I'm in a pickle right now. I've been working at my shop for 2+ years now, just got my first raise (wasn't even that much) but I've been offered positions at bigger companies with more pay/benefits, but I've turn them down because I simply (did) love where I worked. I love everybody I'm with, my team is my friends. Recently I got in an argument with my boss where it became clear - she didn't care about me. I was there to make everybody's lives easier and I was so oblivious to the fact my boss didn't.... Care.

Now I put in my two weeks notice yesterday. I've had it. She offered me better pay and benefits - but still I turned it down because I don't want to work for someone who doesn't care about me or my team.

Boiling down to it, I never really found money to be a motivator. What are your feelings? Is money a motivator? If so, prove me wrong.

Banned meks413 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ciggytardust View Post
    I'm in a pickle right now. I've been working at my shop for 2+ years now, just got my first raise (wasn't even that much) but I've been offered positions at bigger companies with more pay/benefits, but I've turn them down because I simply (did) love where I worked. I love everybody I'm with, my team is my friends. Recently I got in an argument with my boss where it became clear - she didn't care about me. I was there to make everybody's lives easier and I was so oblivious to the fact my boss didn't.... Care.

Now I put in my two weeks notice yesterday. I've had it. She offered me better pay and benefits - but still I turned it down because I don't want to work for someone who doesn't care about me or my team.

Boiling down to it, I never really found money to be a motivator. What are your feelings? Is money a motivator? If so, prove me wrong.
    My opinion is that money should be the last motivator to do your job. You have to love the team you work with and the projects you're working on. If you do bullshit projects just for cash - even if you earn a lot, I think you'll never be really fulfilled / satisfied. What drives me personally is creating awesome work and progressing as a professional. I think that as long as you do things you're proud of - you're on the right path. The fact your employer doesn't care about you is her problem. You'll eventually find a place where your boss actually cares about you and your addition to the team, and if you don't, isn't that just a motivator to start doing your own thing?

..Just my two cents.. :)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to meks413 For This Useful Post:

Banned poltergeist is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Never really cared so much about the money, it was always the work on the first place. Doing what I loved and doing it right.

You did good! Always go with your gut!

Banned matrix15 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    It really depends on a project, if you do it because you love it its great, but sometimes its something you dont really enjoy, and there comes the money, which motivates you to do something out of your comfort zone... But its good to prefer doing job which satisfies you over job only for money (of course, if you need them, then there is no choice )

Junior Member JayFlow will become famous soon enough JayFlow will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    How much a company is willing to invest to keep you is KEY to your well being.
    The way you feel about where you work will not matter if you are disposable and you will feel cheated.

Member brian0760 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Here is an interesting article about this, with perhaps a different opinion:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/01/do_what_you_love_love_what_you_do_an_omnipresent_m antra_that_s_bad_for_work.html

Many designers are sold the idea that we should "do what we love" at the expense of our lives, free time, and earnings. This not only does damage to ourselves personally, but devalues our work at the same time.

Understand that there are many many jobs out there that no one loves, and will only do for money. Working in design is a privileged and elite position to be in the world! You should absolutely love what you do, AND you should be very well paid for it. These things are not at odds.

Banned elrebein is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    yes it is

Banned anotherphilip is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I personally do not get motivated by money. What matters more is to be able to help others at the same time benefiting myself emotionally and intellectually.

Banned acmetees is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I would rather work 9-5 at a small shop, with a close relationship to clients and my employer and be paid on the lower end of salaries than to work long hours in a cubicle being paid twice as much always afraid of ruining a giant contract or any of the other various corporate coldness.

Banned burunia is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I personally think that money are motivating but satisfaction from job well done or great design is even more motivating!

12. Your ad here

Banned ranchodeluxemedia is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Money motivates me mostly...but when I find a good client that understands design and doesn't mind my workflow, then I'll let that take precedent over the pay.

Banned nugget is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    A good place is better than being able to spend more money. You should be able to feel comfortable where you work 5 days a week. To be able to deliver good work, you'll need a team that's stable to work with.

Banned nsthtc is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    That's a tough question. In my personal experience, a couple years ago I took a lesser paying gig for the great work the shop did. However, at this point I had been working for quite a number of years, and have had jobs that paid good money, but the work was mind-numbing. Sometimes, especially when you're younger, money takes precedence, as we have bills to pay!

If you are a younger designer, I encourage you to do some freelance on the side, it's a good way to make extra money while having full creative control of your work.

Hope this helps.

Banned nsthtc is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nsthtc View Post
    That's a tough question. In my personal experience, a couple years ago I took a lesser paying gig for the great work the shop did. However, at this point I had been working for quite a number of years, and have had jobs that paid good money, but the work was mind-numbing. Sometimes, especially when you're younger, money takes precedence, as we have bills to pay!

If you are a younger designer, I encourage you to do some freelance on the side, it's a good way to make extra money while having full creative control of your work.

Hope this helps.
    I realize I really didn't answer your question… It is never worth it to be somewhere you're not appreciated, I think you've done the right thing.

Junior Member Rojo has a spectacular aura about Rojo has a spectacular aura about Rojo has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks

Maybe

Is a motivator, when what you do is not your true passion… i think.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast