Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: MAC vs Window

Banned hypp is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    wow, nice tread :)

i was considering to buy mac,
    what you think, which the best? macbook pro or air for design purpose.
    i work with photoshop & AI cs6

thank
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Donor j0209 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Masdus View Post
    I choose windows... Why? I don't want to learn to handle a new OS only to fit the views of several designers.
    If you dont want to, or are unable to learn something new, thats a different story.
    Lots of people get stuck in the "if it aint broke dont fix it" mentality. Mac isn't built for designers, it's been their first choice for decades because of the ease of use, performance and reliability of apple computers. If these things dont interest you? enjoy your PC.

-J
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Donor j0209 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hypp View Post
    wow, nice tread :)

i was considering to buy mac,
    what you think, which the best? macbook pro or air for design purpose.
    i work with photoshop & AI cs6

thank
    Do you need to be portable? if so, stick to the macbook pro. If not, the mac pro is an amazing machine, wait till the fall though, the new mac pro looks sick!
    [URL="http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/"]http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/[/URL]

Junior Member aodxxl is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    The best photo/video editing machine is a pc based on AMD hardware running windows . Something like a
    FX 8350 coupled with a 7970 (or ) and at least 16 gigs of ram and of course a high speed SSD drive ; also get of them Dell high rez monitors with 80% + sRGB colour acuracy. You still end up cheaper than buying a MAC. And of course you get the added benefit of having more USB ports for printers , faster printing times and better photo/video editing capabilities

I curently print on 2 7890 and a few R3000 on an AMD A10 5800k with 8 gigs of ram and a normal harddrive. It didnt hang ever. It was a 300$ rig .

I dont understand people saying that theyre pc hangs. Well if its 3-4 year old hardware it probably would hang on large print jobs or when editing large files in photoshop. Alwas upgrade your pc every 2 years. Sell old , add some my and buy new.

Also for portability i would recomend the new samsung Ativ line of computers with windows 8 running on the new haswell platform. You get an even higher resolution screen than the macbook air but its cheaper. And its esentially the same because the mac runs the same hardware as the ativ.

Junior Member ununbium is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Hackintosh is the way to go

Junior Member flyingwingnut is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    It kind of feels like a lot of long-term Mac users are stuck in their ways in a similar way that they assume PC users are. PCs have come a long way, and hstly, it sucks to pay like 1000 more for the same specs on an Apple product. It's easy to use, sure, but come on, you learn to be familiar with your own machine, no matter what it is. When I had to buy a new computer, I ended up opting for a Mac mainly because I could continue using my fairly updated software and easily transition from work to home computer, but if i were starting completely anew, I would have a hard time justifying that expense given all of the available products on the market now. Yeah, it is the industry standard, but I feel trapped because of it.

Banned nOOBzor will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

I'll stick to Windows and never buy a MAC

PC of MAC is probably something that has to be put into perspective.
    I work in the printing industry since 12 years.
    I started at 5 years old on Atari and then went to PC. After so many years, I found work and it was on a MAC. I started out on a G3 running Illustrator 8.0.
    At highschool I also worked with MAC (a MAC classic, a grey little thing).
    My humble opinion is that after Illustrator 8.0, things got slower on a MAC.
    So Illustrator 10, CS, CS2, CS3, CS4, CS5 all went slow compared to PC.
    I have everything as well installed on my laptop running Windows, so I do notice the differences.

Only CS6 does actually make the MAC faster again then CS5. Finally things go better after so long. But the reality is that PC has overgrown MAC. I find Windows a lot better in everyday tasks but also adobe software just runs better and faster.
    I'm not even going to discuss the price of a MAC.

If I had the choice, go for PC. Buy at least a good PC with 8 GB RAM, an Intel CPU and a good video card.

If this isn't convincing enough, I can also sum up the most amazing bugs in MAC OS X of error messages that makes you g wild.

For example put a MAC on a nerk. Just how many fun is that .. NOT!
    Our IT-guy sees the problems every day although many people don't even know better.

Big PC fan although I hate Windows 8.

Banned bscureas is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Mac, hands down - if you didn't know how to use a Mac in NYC doing design, I think you'd be laughed out.

PRC Member saifou will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    osx vs windows ,the hardware is standard pc with apple protection chip

Junior Member aodxxl is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    You all reply with useless posts like " MAC" , "mac all the way" ,"go for mac" .

This is not helping him make his choice in this regard. Say why is the mac better and give arguments . Or why is the PC better and give arguments. If your an apple fanboy your not helping him at all.

And btw for photo editing an AMD FX series procesor has the same performance as an intel CPU but is considerably cheaper. Intel CPU-s are better for games , benchmarks but for photo/video editing amd simply because its cheaper. There is also a slight diffrence in multitasking because amd procesors split the cache better between apps so its better if you plan on running multiple apps at same time.

11. Your ad here

Banned salvatore is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Once you go Mac, you never go back

For graphic work, Mac, beyond a shadow of a doubt. Try it and you'll wonder how you survived on windows for so long!

Banned bayoubaby86 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    It really depends on what exactly you're looking for, what you need, and how much you're willing to spend. There are upsides and down to both. With Windows you have a lot more options available as far as customization, hardware techs, and there are the lower prices (generally) too. With Mac you have less virus worries, it seems to be generally much easier to use and have less flaws, but when something goes wrong you're up a creek without a paddle pretty much. It's great for use when designing, but I also have a Windows computer at my office that sometimes gets better results than my Mac. Like I said before though, it all depends on what you are looking for.

Also, don't rule out Linux, if you're so inclined to jump onto that ship. I have another computer here in the house that used to be Windows and now runs Ubuntu and works like a charm (major downside to it though is no native ability to run the Adobe Creative Suite).

Quote Originally Posted by bryan1231 View Post
    Dear all, i wanted to get some opinion from seniors here.
    I'm planning to upgrade my old pc but still in dilemma whether to go with MAC or window.
    some designer told me go to MAC because smooth and wont hang or lack.
    But, some other designer told me that, its hard to get technician if anything happen to your MAC.
    Can any here give me opinion base on your experience ??
    Thanks in advance. ^^

Banned Algis is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Windowa are more managable than MAC. If something goes wrong you can repair and get help quicker than MAC

Banned mendozaspeed is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gkl_22 View Post
    windows rulz! macs its very complicated
    complicated? I don't see how at all.

Junior Member chickydumpling will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

It all depends...

I've used both and now on a Windows system. I had it built in December after a long search (and then added a couple of extra VelociRaptor drives myself). It looked to me like Mac is concentrating on their mobile devices and not doing much development on the desktop front (sure, the new desktops look cool, but not much choice when it comes to configuration). I wanted something that would last me at least a few years and was upgradable.

I chose a case that's ugly but very easy to work in myself so I can continue to update and add hardware myself. I love my killer ASUS motherboard -- unbelievable features! This thing blazes and beats the old Mac I used to use by many a mile. I've never got a virus (never use that devilish IE, only FireFox and Opera) and of course have installed a firewall and Sandboxie and MalwareBites.

On the other hand, if you want portable, then you might do better with a Mac. Or if you simply like the interface and Mac OS that much better and enough better to pay the price. They both have their good points and not-so-good points.

True, Mac monitors are very nice, but PC monitors have come a long way. The Asus ColorArt Series monitors aren't bad -- I call the 1 I have at home my "Poor Girl's Eizo" and quite delighted with it.

I love being able to repair and upgrade my Windows computers myself (although I seem to spend too much time also doing that for family and friends). It's faster, cheaper and you can tailor your machine to suit your own needs and preferences. But that's just me, and people who don't want to repair and/upgrade themselves wouldn't find this appealing at all.
    Last edited by chickydumpling; 07-15-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: 1 spelled out renders as "s p a m"

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast