+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Internship Advice

Banned FMotta is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Internship Advice

I am currently a third year student in Graphic Design looking for an internship for the summer.

We are often taught that we, as Graphic Designers should never give away our work for free and that we should value our skills.

Is it worth it to take an unpaid internship? How do I know if they are taking advantage of my skills?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Member brian0760 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    If its unpaid, they are taking advantage of your skills.

I find that having a small stipend -- even if very small -- makes the process a bit more valuable and tangible for both parties. There needs to be some cost to the company for them to value and respect your time.

And for certain skills -- like web development -- they should be paying good rates, even if you are a student… I see a lot of students taken advantage of in this area because the students don't know how valuable those skills are per hour.

In the UK a handful of art schools have stopped advertising unpaid internships to students.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/jan/09/arts-universities-against-unpaid-internships?CMP=twt_gu

My program does the same. While students are allowed to take on unpaid internships, they are strongly discouraged.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to brian0760 For This Useful Post:

Junior Member Luciole is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Or you can come in France for your intership and then, you'r paid ! About 600$ a month (max. 6 and min. 2 if you want to be paid), not so much, but it's better than nothing, you can discover a country... So all positive ;)

Banned charliestills is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I agree with the previous statements. If they are not willing to pay you they are probably not going to be willing to teach you anything. I'm also a third year graphic design student and I have done both paid and unpaid internships. Let me explain them both.

Internship #1 (unpaid):
    I interned at a small creative agency in Nashville Tennessee for 15 hours a week. They told me it could be possibly paid but then proceeded to never pay me. They had me work on design and marketing directly for clients that they were directly making money from. They never taught me anything as the creative director knew nothing about design and hired out all his work. They were essentially using me rather than paying a freelance designer. They taught me nothing, and paid me nothing. I did get a little experience just working with clients but overall it was a bad experience.

Internship #2 (paid):
    One summer I took a paid internship at Dell Computers in Austin, TX. They paid me a little less than what they would pay a contract employee so I was making a good amount of money. The money was nothing compared to the experience and knowledge I was gaining though. They paid me to learn from them and work on the website for Dell's online business. I learned about UX/UI and was able to pull knowledge from every employee on the team based on what I was more interested in. They respected me and appreciated me enough to pay me.

All in all I would say someone who isn't willing to pay you isn't willing to respect you as a designer or an employee. If you want to get paid tell them up front and if they refuse I would carefully take my leave.

Hope it works out!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to charliestills For This Useful Post:

Junior Member JayFlow will become famous soon enough JayFlow will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Allow me to diversify the discussion:

Unpaid internships exist for a reason: You are not experienced.
    People complain a lot about entry-level job positions that require experience. Well, that's where you get it.

Unpaid internships allow a raw student to get in touch with the ways of the profession without posing a risk to someone who is betting on you.
    As a company, they know you have very little to offer other than your willingness to work and learn your very specialized craft.

Furthermore, if there is something I've learned in over 10 years of working on graphic design is that is that learning is less about the work you do and more about who you do the work with.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JayFlow For This Useful Post:

Banned atp.ghost1 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    unpaid internships can be good, but only if you know for certain that you will gain valuable work experience and projects for your portfolio.

Banned stoney_kun is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Can't really comment on paid vs. unpaid as the industry is very competitive. Our office recently receive this application...
    http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/designer-creates-delicious-r-sum-winning-ingredient-baked-right-156869

Banned doomallcaps is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    They should pay you something.. No one should work for free. Even i they just cover your travel and food..

Junior Member danger-in-design is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    I worked for free, dear. I'm also a graphic designer.

An internship is often unpaid here. But I luckily had great bosses. Two bosses because I took two internships.

Though I learned more on my first company than in the second. And usually they don't ask anything that's outside my type of work, so that's kind of good that they didn't ask me to make or buy coffee. Haha!

In a way, yeah, they're taking advantage of the fact that you're doing work for experience. But that's you need, experience. It'll pay off at the end of the internship, because you can fill in your resume/curriculum vitae. :)

And in any internship, it's always good to be on time, going in the office and sending in works. It's a great impression. Especially if your boss has connections to different places. They can recommend you if you do your job the best way you can. Impress your current boss so you can get more work! :)

Good luck!

Junior Member hermes825 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Great job this product is great

Graphic design is a profession whose business is to conceive, plan, design and produce visual communications, generally produced by industrial means and intended to convey specific social groups and messages clear and specific goals. This activity enables graphically communicate ideas, facts and values ​​processed and synthesized in terms of form and communication, social, cultural, economic, aesthetic and technological factors. Also known as visual communication design, because some associate the word graph only the printing industry, and understand that visual messages are channeled through many media, not just print.

Given the rapid and massive growth in the exchange of information, the demand for graphic designers is greater than ever, particularly because of the development of new technologies and the need to pay attention to the human factors that are beyond the competence of engineers the desarrollan.1

Some widespread classifications of graphic design are: advertising graphic design, editorial design, corporate identity design, web design, package design, type design, signage, signage and called multimedia design, among others.

good

14. Your ad here

mrt
    Banned mrt is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    At my place we pay way above minimum wage.

It's our belief that if we, as a company, profit from the services of those that work with us, be it internship or full-time, then they should be paid.

If they get work made then we even chuck in a bonus.

Junior Member dirtroaddiary is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I live in the United States and have always thought that 95% of internships are unpaid because the sole purpose is for the experience, the new connections you'll make, and so that you can continue to learn in a professional setting. I would suggest looking into different companies - read how they operate, see what they've created, and how they represent themselves and only apply for one that you are genuinely interested in. Not necessarily with a company that you want to work for (as a paid employee after school), but one that you think would provide you with the most knowledge and the best experience for you. I really believe you will be able to tell if they are taking advantage of you and if you aren't receiving the proper credit and acknowledgement for your time and work.

This post is a few years old, but may help you out on this topic: "Some consider unpaid internships as similar to free pitching or spec work, but if you get the right opportunity, the advantages are yours, not those of the employer." http://www.davidairey.com/unpaid-internships/

+ Reply to Thread