Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Instagram an acceptable portfolio website?

Junior Member ciggytardust is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Is Instagram an acceptable portfolio website?

Out of curiousity.

I update my Instagram almost daily with new art, works in progress, and final products. The reason why, is because its on my ph and in my hand and very easy to upload/tag/add my photos and design. Unlike Behance or Dribbble it is a long process to add projects and arrk to your portfolio, so I'm not nearly as consistent with my Behance compared to my Instagram.

I'm the Senior/Lead designer at my current job right now and I, personally, would accept an Instagram page for a portfolio if I were interviewing somebody new. Is this professional? Should I not? What do you think?
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Junior Member Bunker is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Instagram is more ludic/fun social site, if you want something way more professional and free you can try Behance, in case fo your work is more in the photography side you can use Flickr. It is only my personal opinion of curse.
    Greetings!
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Banned MinTea will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Mm, I'd use it as support TO a portfolio but not the main portfolio as such. Maybe to show your process, work in progress, arrk in use. In saying that, social media is becoming more and more popular and acceptable. My personal preference is being able to see the work up close.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MinTea For This Useful Post:

Banned designcob is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    If its a professional portfolio then no..

Banned TD64 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by designcob View Post
    If its a professional portfolio then no..
    Completely agree. Get a domain and you can add your work there.

Banned comablack is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Instagram should be used for personal photos only, for portfolios there are other websites

Member Aes Sedai will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by comablack View Post
    Instagram should be used for personal photos only, for portfolios there are other websites
    I agree with you.

Banned lkleck is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
    Instagram is more ludic/fun social site, if you want something way more professional and free you can try Behance, in case fo your work is more in the photography side you can use Flickr. It is only my personal opinion of curse.
    Greetings!
    I agree with Bunker. Behance is great, and Instragram isn't very professional. You can get domains for very cheap and that way you are able to customize the site to fit your personality and give better descriptions of your work.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lkleck For This Useful Post:

Member karenlyn will become famous soon enough karenlyn will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    I'm with every else. It is so inexpensive to grab a domain and a put up a quick wordpress site with a professional-looking portfolio. Your own site, domain, (and if you can, email address) makes a much better first impression!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to karenlyn For This Useful Post:

mqs
    Banned mqs is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Maybe check deviantart.com for uploading. I upload my Logoworks on logopond.com
    its a really nice simple page for designer. love it!

14. Your ad here

Senior Member linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,080 Times in 434 Posts
    Instagram for professional CV? Joke, right?
    At the moment when people talk about Instagram, it's mostly: Food, what am I eating, OMG...

Behance.net is good, and maybe Pinterest can be added to your choice
    And your own website is out of the question, with own website is considered professional, at least their thinking: more serious and responsible.

Banned sicwitit is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Definitely not.

Banned jdarling is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    No, but you could find an alternative.

Try dribbble :)

Junior Member JayFlow will become famous soon enough JayFlow will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

iPhArt

iPh art is a thing...

Code:
    Only the registered members can see the download links/content. pleaseĀ Register to gain full access.
    If your work is somewhat like that, then OK.
    Anything else, go for the professional approach and use proper websites.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JayFlow For This Useful Post:

Banned Screwed Up is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    An Instagram portfolio gives off the impression of an amateur - to me, anyway. An actual portfolio shows establishment and gives the work a sense of legitimacy.

Nothing wrong with having an account to further connect with potential clientele - to post WIPs and throwaways and whatnot - but it shouldn't be your bread and butter.
    Last edited by Screwed Up; 11-09-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast