+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Illustrator document field size limitation

Junior Member chegr is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Illustrator document field size limitation

The limitation of Illustrator's drawing field is killing me.
    I can work in scale, designing advertising fro buses, of course, but through years I had many expensive mistakes because of it.
    I found a theory about 227.5" limit which says that a signed 16-bit number can store a range of numbers from about -16383 to 16383. So when 16383 is divided by 72 (default resolution) we come up with 227.5416(6) inches.
    If there is no really way to extend PostSript or whatever has this limit coded within? Why CorelDraw and newer software can work with real relative units, when AI still can't think out a way to recalculate it's bondage to the point and inch? Even simple usage of 32-bit numbers could solve it.

Junior Member rockthevanished is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Not entirely sure, since I don't know the technical program parts of Illustrator, but I know that the last time I worked on a banner measuring 10'x6', the file size itself was huge (250+mb), even though it was just basic vector shapes and color. The PDF sent for print was normal size (3mb), but the file itself was a beast. If I had to guess I would say they limit the artboard size so that the file size doesn't become unmanageable? Someone once gave me a 400mb+ file that was so full of photos it took almost 15 minutes to open, and several minutes every time I tried to move a piece around.. it was a total nightmare.

Junior Member chegr is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Well, basically looking art sometimes can be very complex. It could have unnoticable masks with traced bitmap texture to create small rough corner, for example, or tons of hidden objects, or just zilliard point in a simple circle path.
    As for the phots, resolution is cruicial. Illustrator is not InDesign, which shows low-res version for all placed raster art, so it always resample huge rasters on fly every step (they should have keep greeking and low-res pan alive).
    Anyway, one can squeeze a lot even in business card maquette, and it would be like a gigabyte in total. Limitation of maximum artboard size can't help someone to have his arms grow from his shoulders, not buttocks :) I have to work with these too.
    But why I have to scale evething in a billborad which has like 5 elements? I've checked the day I posted this topic that scaling both up and down doesn't really add of decrease file size, with raster images, placed or embed, or not.
    So I think Adobe just doesn't care, as with many things. They care more about marketing, rather than actual design for their products :) Long live to Esko and AstuteGraphics and everyone who really do.

+ Reply to Thread