+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to write good description of your work?

Banned natebuddy21 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

How to write good description of your work?

I always have a difficult time explaining my work to the client How you guys describe your work? like your explain about the font? the color? the concept? Eager to hear from you guys?

Banned mbkern is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Wouaouw,

That's a tough one. I think you go for the wrong direction. You should actually know why you used a type or a color. It makes it a lot easier then to have strong arguments in front of the client. Sorry for my bad english.

Cheers

Banned sharklase is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    i make mindmaps
    of the client, the project and the environment where the project is being used
    than an inspirational moodboard around that
    and the entire logic is than presented to the client together with the mockup

Banned double0ziggy is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Honestly think about what you did for the client as per their request. The simplest solution is always a good route to go. The individuals reading your description are not necessarily designers themselves. If you start talking about how the x-height of one typeface vs. another is (insert description here) chances are the potential client isn't going to understand what you are talking about.

Make it descriptive without getting too wordy. Outline the Objective and why your solution works the best.

Banned MaxHeadroom is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    You do not need to explain the design elements itself to sell it.
    The important thins are:
    - "You are the professional and you know what is right for them" make them feel this.
    - Explain which problem the design solves.
    - Explain the effect of your design on their brand/corporate perception.
    The client does not need to know the perception mechanics... and they dont understand it anyway.

Banned MaxHeadroom is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    ... and most importantly:
    Be energetic, dont read while presenting.

Junior Member Saleron is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I agree with sharklase. A good mind map is always a good beginning for exploring the concept of ideas. Make much easier for you to write and explain your design. During my MA all of the students had a blog and we were obligated to write everything inside your heads, also all the research. For me was fantastic because now I have the capacity to explain and write my concepts.

Junior Member Deposito85 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Speak with confidence. If the guy hired you, He knows (or should) you have more knowledge than him.

I believe you get better if you really keep studying about design and marketing. For example, take your time to study fonts, understand what works or not. Read books about colors... The more you learn, more you have to tell to explain your ideas.

Banned Vetinari is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Don't take this as a put down at all, but what with words being equal to about 1/1000th of a picture on the open market, if you have to start justifying the look to your client with words, you've probably under-delivered. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't know the whats and whys of your work, but if you know it and the reasoning is sound, the client should get that impression too.

If it's a difficult client, maybe show a couple of plainly poor examples. Perhaps with the text set in Comic Sans or the photography instagrammed to within a fraction of recognizability (unless that was the goal, then go the other way). If your client prefers this, he's clearly broken somewhere deep inside and no amount of commercial art will fix him.

+ Reply to Thread