+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How we edit PDF files with embedded fonts.

Donor asap is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

How we edit PDF files with embedded fonts.

Hi, we are a large format printing company and we usually receive .PDF files from our customers. Sometimes .PDF files come with embeded fonts instead text converted to pahs. No problem with it until the moment we need to edit them.

I describe our solution to this situation. Maybe someone has a better solution for it.

When we use illustrator to open the .PDF files the program tell us that he can't find several fonts (bad thing). Then what we do is to open the file in Corel Draw and a pop-up window answer us for importing the text as type or paths (obviously we import the text as paths). Later we save the file as .AI or .PDF ir order to open it again in illustrator and edit it.

We are not familiar with Corel Draw and several times complex files are not managed well (color management, transparency, cut paths, etc.) and when we open the file back in illustrator we find a mess that we need to arrange wasting time. Unfortunately Corel Draw is the only program we know that answer us for importing the text as paths.

We hope this way can be helpful for anyone and we encourage everybody to share another methods to convert embedded fonts in paths.

Bye.

PRC Member spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by asap View Post
    Hi, we are a large format printing company and we usually receive .PDF files from our customers. Sometimes .PDF files come with embeded fonts instead text converted to pahs. No problem with it until the moment we need to edit them.

I describe our solution to this situation. Maybe someone has a better solution for it.

When we use illustrator to open the .PDF files the program tell us that he can't find several fonts (bad thing). Then what we do is to open the file in Corel Draw and a pop-up window answer us for importing the text as type or paths (obviously we import the text as paths). Later we save the file as .AI or .PDF ir order to open it again in illustrator and edit it.

We are not familiar with Corel Draw and several times complex files are not managed well (color management, transparency, cut paths, etc.) and when we open the file back in illustrator we find a mess that we need to arrange wasting time. Unfortunately Corel Draw is the only program we know that answer us for importing the text as paths.

We hope this way can be helpful for anyone and we encourage everybody to share another methods to convert embedded fonts in paths.

Bye.
    OMG! you have chosen the worst way to convert text to paths! corel draw is an absolute no go! trash this app immediately!

there are lots of other and easier ways to go. you can convert text to paths with pitstop or even without pitstop in acrobat pro or convert text to paths directly while importing to illustrator!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Painless conversions...

Quote Originally Posted by spider View Post
    OMG! you have chosen the worst way to convert text to paths! corel draw is an absolute no go! trash this app immediately!
    Yes! that's it! For us Corel is Devil!

there are lots of other and easier ways to go. you can convert text to paths with pitstop or even without pitstop in acrobat pro or convert text to paths directly while importing to illustrator!
    I have just took a look to Enfocus web. Pitstop looks a great tool!
    Code:
    Only the registered members can see the download links/content. please Register to gain full access.
    We have Acrobat 8 Professional, now I know why to convert type to paths with it.
    Code:
    Only the registered members can see the download links/content. please Register to gain full access.
    And with Illustrator too:
    Code:
    I had got made this question years ago! I'm sure this wil be useful for anyone.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to asap For This Useful Post:

Junior Member bonnievy will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Tell them to send you the font.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bonnievy View Post
    Yes Bonnievy, but sometimes people don't know how to do it or it takes forever.... It's necessary not to be dependent only from the customer using the above tools.

PRC Member spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all
    Thanks

Thumbs down

very bad idea!!!

its against the copyrights and license agreements.

if you have font only for pc it doesnt work on mac and vice versa.

Thanks
    OP is a "large format printing company", why do you have to edit the file for the client? That should be done by the designer or agency the artwork came from. It really isn't the printer's responsibility to edit work that neither the client nor the printer has the working file or font file for.

It isn't anything to do with legality, you're not using the font to produce commercial work other than that of the client's (who should have the legal right to use the font). Same as a design agency wouldn't have bought every single font that is on their machine, and only does so on behalf of a client when a font has been approved in a piece of work to be produced commercially.

Thanks
    OP is a "large format printing company", why do you have to edit the file for the client? That should be done by the designer or agency the artwork came from. It really isn't the printer's responsibility to edit work that neither the client nor the printer has the working file or font file for.

It isn't anything to do with legality, you're not using the font to produce commercial work other than that of the client's (who should have the legal right to use the font). Same as a design agency wouldn't have bought every single font that is on their machine, and only does so on behalf of a client when a font has been approved in a piece of work to be produced commercially.
    i guess you have no clue about daily practical work!

nowadays there is no time to ask the customer for a new (corrected) print file.
    most of the work has to be done on the same day the files arrive!

and lots of customers dont have the knowledge to deliver print ready files. you would have to make a training course for them before you would get pdfs which are fine for printing and lose one week of precious time.

and you have no clue about legal issues for fonts! guess why there is only a subset of a font embedded in a pdf? guess why some fonts are not embeddable at all? guess why you sometimes get an extra reminder dialog that you are not allowed to use the embedded font for file changes?

Thanks

and lots of customers dont have the knowledge to deliver print ready files. you would have to make a training course for them before you would get pdfs which are fine for printing and lose one week of precious time.
    Totally agree Spider. You told that I was thinking. My English is not quite well and posting several thougths takes a lot of effort to me (I always try to be understandable).

The above tools will help us to save valuable time in our daily work.

Thanks
    i guess you have no clue about daily practical work!

and you have no clue about legal issues for fonts! guess why there is only a subset of a font embedded in a pdf? guess why some fonts are not embeddable at all? guess why you sometimes get an extra reminder dialog that you are not allowed to use the embedded font for file changes?
    I was merely pointing out the easiest and obvious solution to the OP's problem of having to edit PDFs.

Putting aside you added nothing but impolite assumptions:
    • If by 'daily practical work' you mean obliging to client (you refer to them as the 'customer' so I'm assuming you're not actually in the design industry, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) requests without having the necessary tools (i.e the font), whether provided or sourced elsewhere (like the Font sharing section on here), to satisfy that request, then no, I haven't a clue.
    • I agree, I guess even with tight deadlines having worked in small studios and multinationals like Ogilvy & Mather, we have Project and Traffic Managers handling timings as to not be put in those situations requiring us to whip something up without the proper resources on the same day.
    • I agree, but we have procedures and screening for those kind of clients.
    • And what exactly do you do? Buy every single font you propose to a client before them approving a design, assuming you are proposing reputable typefaces from real foundries rather than dafont.com? Do you use the font sharing section of this forum?

Guess why you get a reminder before movies reminding you not to pirate them?
    Last edited by bonnievy; 03-25-2015 at 01:47 AM.

13. Your ad here

Junior Member faze is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    One way to do it straight in illustrator is to create your document then 'place' the pdf on the artboard then > Object > Flatten transparency > outline fonts

15. The Following User Says Thank You to faze For This Useful Post:

Junior Member vitalio is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    If you're asked to correct only text (presuming it's editable, of course) you can edit or move it right in Acrobat using standard program features. For more complex changes and to be able to keep the look of a document you'll have to make curves from text (hence, buy expensive Pitstop or other plugin for this).

Banned stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    apparently asap is right

Banned wizkid is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Pitstop rules!

I also work at a medium sized print house.
    I just want to emphasize that Pitstop is really a must-have tool nowadays, especially if you have to deal with many PDF files from various clients.
    I would suggest acquiring the program and learning how to use it as it can do so much with PDFs, not only creating outlines.
    Of course, as mentioned above, you can also use the outliniing feature in newer versions of Acrobat pro in Print Production > Flattener Preview

Junior Member roger555 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by faze View Post
    One way to do it straight in illustrator is to create your document then 'place' the pdf on the artboard then > Object > Flatten transparency > outline fonts
    ^^^^ This is exactly how you do it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast