+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to package complete font families?

Banned stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks

How to package complete font families?

For Windows!

when I open a design program and use the text tool, I down a sub menu appears showing me the fonts "Ligh - Normal - Bold - Etc" from a specific font, this happens almost every time I install a complete family.

But sometimes when you installed the complete family is not packaged, ie submenu contains nothing, and to go through an example of "Light to Bold" have to go to a different source, which are not within the same family.

This is very annoying for me. Do you know how I can package any complete family? or more forms of the same font name.

Example Windows Panel of Control.

I think it is called layered font families.

I hope you can help me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stradivarious For This Useful Post:

Member murchmustangs is a glorious beacon of light murchmustangs is a glorious beacon of light murchmustangs is a glorious beacon of light murchmustangs is a glorious beacon of light murchmustangs is a glorious beacon of light murchmustangs is a glorious beacon of light
    Thanks
    The problem here is that the fonts are not named in a Windows-friendly way.

Many fonts on here are named "xxx Light", "xxx Book", "xxx Bold"..., which only pairs those up together. Instead, they should be named just "xxx", and then the Light, Book, Bold, ... should be specified later.

As you can see here, the Family name has to be Copernicus, and then the Style name is the different ones.

Correct: Copernicus; Heavy Italic.
    Incorrect: Copernicus Heavy; Italic. If the Family name is "Copernicus Heavy", then there will only be two of those (the roman and the italic).

I have tried naming multi-layered fonts that way, but it doesn't seem to work on Windows. On Mac, it is fine. You might just have to name them separately (like Idler).
    Last edited by murchmustangs; 05-11-2014 at 09:10 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to murchmustangs For This Useful Post:

Banned stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    Ok then I have to change their names from "FONTLAB" (just have to get it) :) TSM

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stradivarious For This Useful Post:

mrt
    Banned mrt is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    You could try Fontforge. I too was looking to achieve something similar and found a good resolution here: http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/10535/how-to-package-all-faces-of-a-font-into-one-family-file-mac

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrt For This Useful Post:

Junior Member jolie is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Not sure if you're still looking for a solution, but most font editors should have this capability (FontLab is my go-to, but sometimes it messes up; Fontographer also works). In FontLab you edit it in the 'File > Font Info' section - make sure the Family Name is the same, and change the width and weight accordingly. It's in Elements > Font Info for Fontographer, same process though!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jolie For This Useful Post:

Banned Pelowfig is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt View Post
    You could try Fontforge. I too was looking to achieve something similar and found a good resolution here: http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/10535/how-to-package-all-faces-of-a-font-into-one-family-file-mac
    Ah, thanks for the share.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pelowfig For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread