+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do I manually control CMYK / Ink density for my printer (to maximize opaqueness)?

Donor sprocketty is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

How do I manually control CMYK / Ink density for my printer (to maximize opaqueness)?

Hi there,

Apologies if this is wrong place to post it, but I am totally new to this.

I am trying to print negatives using my HP laser printer . However, I am trying to increase toner density to the maximum possible. I am using a mac, and the default driver does not provide much customisation.

I have heard terms PPD, RIP, etc and I am totally confused what to even search for.

Is there any toolkit / separate software I can use to manually alter this feature? Separately, I am also considering buying a Color laser jet, where I intend to print 100% C M Y K in order to maximize toner density.

Ultimately I am trying to achieve maximum opaqueness for my negative.

This negative will be used to produce photo polymer plates.

APpreciate any help!

THanks

Junior Member gazraven is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Increasing density

The ability to increase the density of toner will be dependent on the printer make, model and driver itself.

If you have a full colour printer and you are only printing in black I would suggest sending a rich black to the printer (cmyk values of 30/30/30/100 respectively), this will give you a reasonably solid block of colour on the page.

You may want to try double-stamping the image too. But this would require sending the paper through the printer twice and relies on good registration and paper handling on your printer's part.

Donor sprocketty is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply gazraven, very useful tips :)

I am debating between a Color laser and a Monochrome laser now. I'm not sure which will give a more opaque negative, and I have no idea if its even possible to find out easily....

I'm also not sure which brand / model has better printer drivers. I tried downloading the drivers for a HP laserjet, but I was unable to get to the printer settings dialog. Not sure if its possible to see what the drivers allow me to tweak, without actually having the printer hooked up?

Would anyone happen to have any idea which brands have better drivers for Mac?

Many thanks :)

+ Reply to Thread