+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting faster & increasing output

Junior Member mhioku is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Getting faster & increasing output

Curious to see if any of you veterans have any tips for students on getting more work done in a shorter period of time. Tips on process / workflow / staying focused?

Insights appreciated!

Junior Member SpeakLow21 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I graduated in June at the "top" of my class. It came at a cost. I never went out, spent a lot of money on supplies, read non-required reading, worked every weekend, never went home for holidays. But I knew that I had to take advantage of everything I could while I was there, resources even my instructors' knowledge. I worked harder than anyone else, but got faster and better quickly. I also invested a lot in annuals and books for inspiration, ways of thinking, type use. Those annuals were really helpful.

Eat right, take breaks. And good luck! Practice practice practice make make make and over-achieve.

Junior Member Lolamae has a spectacular aura about Lolamae has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks
    I really do think it is something that comes with time unfortunately, at least with the speeding up workflow aspect! Being confident is a bit part of being good at Graphic Design and trusting your concepts.

As for staying focused, I still have trouble with it!. All you can do is eliminate distractions as much as possible.

Banned mrpeach32 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    A good way to go is to budget time for each project that stays reasonable. I work for a smaller company and we are in an area that can't charge premium rates for artwork, so we have to budget time, and that means more editing your work and knowing when to stop.

It's better to have a picture in your head and work towards that than to just experiment. If you don't have any ideas take a break and come back to it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrpeach32 For This Useful Post:

Junior Member Bommen is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    work as accurate as required, not as possible. and better spending 2 more hours in thinking and planning than 5 more hours in starting numerous actions without proper planning.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bommen For This Useful Post:

Junior Member prawntoast is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Look at the things you do and repeat for every project and automate these process with things like actions/templates. Not just for graphics but also emails, invoices etc..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to prawntoast For This Useful Post:

Banned matrix15 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I have learened the most thing on commercial work, along with studies... I started with "helping" for one studio of friend of mine and i did it for free. Then moved for paid jobs, with tight deadlines, which forced me to build fast workflows and improve my skills... Its all about practice. Problem of Art schools is that they give you a lot of time for assignments, not like commercial jobs, where you have to do about thousand thing over night...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to matrix15 For This Useful Post:

Junior Member ciggytardust is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Actions. Never never stop making your own actions, especially if you work at print shop or choose to do manual separations rather than using a RIP. Not only that, but for example, spend a long time making a mock up or proof for a commonly sized product. Like business cards, letterhead, envelopes, shirts, etc. Just so the action always works because its at set size every time before running it. Also, assign those actions to function keys so it makes you get stuff done a lot faster.

Even simple ones, like in my Illustrator CS6 I assigned my F2 key so when I click one point of a path with the direct selection tool, I press F2 and it selects every point of that object. I won't tell any of my other secrets but I found that very useful so I don't have to ungroup my objects if I want to move something or edit one part of a compound path.

source: lead creative design/prepress for print/design shop. (screenprinting & offset)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ciggytardust For This Useful Post:

Banned linguza is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I invest most of the project time on analysis and thinking about different ideas. When I get a clear vision and make a proper plan (in my head or on the paper) I don't have to spend so much time on the computer. And sketching, much sketching, specially when it comes to logo or layout design.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to linguza For This Useful Post:

Banned angelitocadiz is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    the time it takes to learn depends on the will and perseverance you have

17. Your ad here

18. The Following User Says Thank You to angelitocadiz For This Useful Post:

Banned timoteo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Two words, thumbnail sketches!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to timoteo For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread