+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Freelance, small studio or big agency. And why?

Normal Member MM_SF is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I agree with Hyral. We've been operating as a small agency for the last few years and we've definitely seen the quality of our work and customer service get drastically better. I wonder how this would change if the team grows to 10-15 people?

Junior Member RubiK is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'm a graphic designer that work for a small studio for 4 years with only like 2 designer and 2 coder and the work never stop rolling in. I prefer this because you get good bonus , your voice matters more and if you're good they never want to lose you. The downside I think is like freelance you must learn on your own not from other coworkers.

Junior Member Greyrage is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    My personal choice is big agency. Mostly because it gives opportunities when it comes managing big scale campaigns. It's also beneficial when it comes to learning the big business model and management. However, it depends also on your style of work, most agencies i know also outsource their work smaller studios or freelances so in this regard it depends where you see your self. I personally see myself on top of the things :)

Regards

Junior Member khamm1 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I've done all three. Hands down small studio. Freelance is lonely and there is no one there to bounce ideas off of and collaborate with to build ideas and concept. Big agencies are great. The downside is that you may get stuck on a big project for 1-2 years and limits the amount of different projects that you can get your hands on. In a small studio you are pushed to learn and try new things. Often small studios you get work on most of the projects going on and you get into a range of different projects from a range of different industries. This keeps is fun, challenging and always fresh.

Junior Member ransomman is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks

Small Studio is my choice

This is such a tough question! I think the answer is all about what your objective is. There is much more consistency with a large agency but feel like the raw creativity is lost when you work in a structured corporate environment.

For me I enjoy working in a studio environment with a small (3-5 people) team of really close knit people. We work together and hang out together and each person has a unique skill set that so its great to bounce ideas of off each other.

Best of luck with your choice!

Junior Member baggio is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I have worked in all three, currently Freelance solo work. When I look back, I liked Small Studio best. Team of 3-4 people, it functioned great. When you work alone it is a problem its boring sometimes, and you don't have anyone to "push" you when you're stuck. Problem with big agencies is that they have big monthly expenses too (big outcome), so you have to ensure big and regular income too. Much more tension here, at least in my case :)

Banned b00xx is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Small Agency; you become more a part of the company than just someone working at the company. You tend to know your boss and everyone well and it helps create a welcoming atmosphere. While large companies, seems to treat employees pretty disposable.

Banned lexibee is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Freelance is my preference currently. Just offers flexibility for my life as it is. Probably not my choice forever though.

Banned bela is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    i've done all three :) big agencies are great way to start - you'll learn everything you need (if it's a good agency, of course) - you'll attend expensive photo shoots, you'll see TV commercials being filmed, you'll work with biggest companies & brands... and you'll probably get tired at some point because big agencies are man eating machines. small studios are fine if the climate is cool - if someone in your collective doesn't get along / your boss is a prick / clients are from hell - you'll feel it 25x more than in big agencies.

i currently freelance & i think i'll do that for quite some while...

Member manu66 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Big agency: big money, big client, big means, no time
    Small studio: small money, smallish client, small means, no time
    Freelance: no money, no client, no means, tons of time unless you work for the above...

Hardest thing about freelancing is building and maintaining your own discipline, doing your accounting, looking for clients, keeping your material up to date and, if you have any time left, working on projects.

11. Your ad here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6