+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Freelance, small studio or big agency. And why?

Banned torch511 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I work for a medium sized agency. I like being able to collaborate, and I like the security and benefits and am willing to sacrifice having huge national brand clients so that I can avoid the "Corporate" atmosphere. I hate doing freelance. I used to do it on the side but after spending 10 hours a day, 5 days a week drawing/laying out... I'm done. I get home am the closest thing I touch to a computer is my ipad so I can play Candy Crush.

Junior Member alaurart is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    In my opinion, agencies get most of the money while we work for a static monthly payment. Individual freelance gets you the most money but I opted for a freelance team.

Junior Member iamnobody is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    When you're in agency you can rely on regular paycheck :)) Sometimes the life of a freelancer is hard... but the advantage is that you're the master of your time!

Junior Member wasfirst is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    It's quite difficult to answer, both have pros and cons. I actually prefer to stay on my own, collaborating with different kind of ppl, one project at the time. Never say never..i'd like to be in a big agency to understand workflow and policy.

Junior Member ngspain is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I just made the jump from huge company to small shop (i'm a graphic designer) and the truth of the matter is neither is perfect, and neither was horrible. For me I hated the hierarchy of the big place and all its politics, but loved the outside culture that was developed for the health of the employees (basketball leagues, events, parties).

Now at my smaller place, its difficult because there isn't much structure, meaning somedays it feels like you are floating around, there isn't someone saying, your project has this deadline on this day. Instead you are the responsible for dealing with the client and figuring out deadlines yourself. But the positive in that is in the amount you learn about business and clients.

Normal Member SoSo76 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    In big Agency, you will have very prestigious clients but also less way to be creative (it's my experience) because of many constraint (guidelines, many supports to decline, many strategic and politic issues). So, to be creative, I prefer to be in a small/medium studio with open-minded clients.

Junior Member lolasio is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Personally I think a small studio is perfect. You get a large area of responsibility, and it's easier to be familiar with everyone.

Banned ablitz is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I do agree with having a small team (even just another person working with you) expands your horizon so much, for example, I recently talked to a friend who I used to work together with (he's now freelancing solo) about a design problem that he has in indesign, and I was just "you know there's an automatic way doing that in indesign?" and he's completely oblivious to it,

these kinda tips definitely something that you;ll get more from working with someone else,

I do freelance once in awhile and the freedom is wonderful though (but you need to be strict and disciplined about your work- again, the benefit of working with someone else is that you get to call each other on it)

Banned marki marku is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I work in a small agency at the moment and I really enjoy it. better than a large corporation

Junior Member csoing has a spectacular aura about csoing has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks
    I worked for small studios and recently started to work as a freelancer but I have some struggle to find new clients, so yeah the studio gives security.

11. Your ad here

Banned zissou is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Freelancing takes elbow grease to get the ball rolling. But I feel like it is more rewarding than being locked into in-house work.

Banned Skatexius is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Small studio that works almost like a freelance. I'd say me and two fellow designers, one of which is best at typography, one at illustration and one at photography. Outsourcing for bigger agencies is also pretty popular around here and it goes to both freelancers and smaller studios!

Junior Member jeralyn is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    I do freelance but work full-time at a company where I am the only graphic designer... but I still have to follow their aesthetic. It's been pretty good so far though and I make sure to continue doing projects and freelance on my own so I don't get stuck in a rut. I would love to do only freelance but it's so hard to get money out of people! I am always chasing them down to get final payment and it totally sucks and sours me on the idea of doing that full time.

Junior Member CaptainQ is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    if you know people, freelance is a good choice as you will build a huge confidence in yourself, but if you don't it's really hard to get started. Also, I you wanna work in an agency... most of them will look for experience in agencies (less important after some years)

Small studios. They are cool for the creativity side... harder to get in because they are ... small... So maybe only one designer, and two art directors... so you need a very good portfolio to get in. Many will close their doors after two years... as some of them are founded by freshly graduated students.

Big agencies, easier to enter there than in the small ones... you also get a lot of people to help you, salary is better than in small studios too. The downside is your responsibilities are less important at first, and you may do more "corporate" job (but it's not a rule)

Also it's easier to enter an ad agency than a design one.

Junior Member hyral is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    I run a small agency and it's nice to have a small team to bounce ideas off each other and get feedback. I have a feeling it is a lot of more work than a big agency but it's definitely more fulfilling.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast