+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Freelance, small studio or big agency. And why?

Junior Member coerenzazero is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'm a freelance based in Italy.
    It depends on the country where you live.

In Italy is very difficult to be a freelancer because the economic situation now is very bad and people and clients tent to spend as less as possible and there are very few that can appreciate good stuff.
    The "italian style" it's a fake.
    Try yourself to go around on the web to see some "identity"...

Mtf
    Junior Member Mtf is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I am an freelancer and I love the freedom of it. But I must admit that sometimes I miss colleagues

Also competitive atmosphere in some bigger studio can make you work harder and better. And if are you inexperienced you will learn a lot.

Junior Member coerenzazero is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtf View Post
    I am an freelancer and I love the freedom of it. But I must admit that sometimes I miss colleagues

Also competitive atmosphere in some bigger studio can make you work harder and better. And if are you inexperienced you will learn a lot.
    I agree on learning.
    I also work better under pressure!

Member netizen777 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Freelancing

I prefer to work as a freelance, you only have to rely on yourself and you receive all the money for ALL the work you do. Maybe you can not earn all the money you can get with BIG accounts and projects, but if you want to live a happy & simple life being a freelancer is a good style of life.

Junior Member nickryan is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by netizen777 View Post
    I prefer to work as a freelance, you only have to rely on yourself and you receive all the money for ALL the work you do. Maybe you can not earn all the money you can get with BIG accounts and projects, but if you want to live a happy & simple life being a freelancer is a good style of life.
    Being a freelancer doesn't mean you only rely on yourself or have a happy and simple life.

A freelancer that can live a happy and simple life ( job related, not personal life) must be a famous or widely recognized one. Because, when you're famous, your talent is recognized, the clients need you and always appreciate your design choices or solutions. If you're an ordinary one, they'll give you hell, "i want this color", "why so much whitespace ?", "i think you should use this image", "i don't like this font" etc.... . So you want a simple life, you don't get a happy life and vice versa, and you don't really rely on yourself, you rely on 2 things: Clients and your ability to persuade them.

Junior Member skinforskin is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    A few years of work experience in a small or medium studio. Get lots of contacts. Then go Freelance!

Junior Member nyckid is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Freelance is great, but having others in a small company to bounce ideas off of is helpful too.

There are a few advantages of the bigger corporations too - dedicated IT staff, resources (iStock accounts, current software, good print/scan hardware, etc) that are harder to come by in a small collective and even harder on your own. There are times I'd kill for someone else's iStock password. ;-)

I work days in a small digital print shop as both pre-press/press op and IT, but I do my design work at home on my off time. I let my clients order from the shop directly and make sure the work comes out as expected myself. I get paid for design on my own and the shop gets paid for the print work.

Member netizen777 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickryan View Post
    Being a freelancer doesn't mean you only rely on yourself or have a happy and simple life.

A freelancer that can live a happy and simple life ( job related, not personal life) must be a famous or widely recognized one. Because, when you're famous, your talent is recognized, the clients need you and always appreciate your design choices or solutions. If you're an ordinary one, they'll give you hell, "i want this color", "why so much whitespace ?", "i think you should use this image", "i don't like this font" etc.... . So you want a simple life, you don't get a happy life and vice versa, and you don't really rely on yourself, you rely on 2 things: Clients and your ability to persuade them.
    I understand your point of view, but I think is much more easier to "handle with" small or local bussiness/clients request, that with the BIG FISHES. If the have a millionare budget they always want to do a million of changes ;)

Regards!

Banned riooster is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    freelance, more freedom and more money

Banned Ludovick is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    It depends on tasks range and budget/client size you're targeting working with or rather capable of. And also, it's rather strategical planning thing, it's better to start with agency, then freelance, than to just freelance from scratch.

11. Your ad here

Junior Member kateomaz is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I work in a small studio at the moment and I really enjoy everything being quite personal rather than a large corporation...

Banned bobmatu is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    A very small studio (me, my brother and a friend) in Naples, Italy
    Independent but a lot of stress for the Italian Tax

Banned Ludovick is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    In ages, the balance in priorities mostly moves from Creativity to Comfort. I.e. designing things becomes more about salary, insurance and comporomised deadlines than of creativity, night brainstorms and trend settings.

Junior Member nickryan is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobmatu View Post
    A very small studio (me, my brother and a friend) in Naples, Italy
    Independent but a lot of stress for the Italian Tax
    Maybe you need someone to deal with finance, tax stuffs, someone professional, not a designer doing finance.

Banned Adrian13 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    There is not a winning ticket for this question. You have to take a bit from each other and then you just have to pick the best option for your profile.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast