+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Freelance, small studio or big agency. And why?

Junior Member NandexARG is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Freelance

Hi,

I'm finish my grade recently, so now I'm working as freelancer.
    For the moment it's really good, because only depends on me, and I'm all the time finding clientes. But of course that work in a big company should be awesome.

Member ECUPirateMom is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    It really depends on whether you want a stable job or a work from home gig that requires more hustle but also provides a more flexible schedule. You also need to consider whether you need health insurance and other benefits that come from working with a larger agency.

Junior Member jsavage is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Large Agency and freelance on the side - best of both worlds.

Banned FMotta is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I had an excellent experience as an intern as a very small design studio. There was a lot of trust in my abilities, so I not only had a lot of creative control over my projects, but I learned so much from working one on two with both my creative directors. I am broke, but I made some amazing work.

Banned macha is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Freelance (as I am now), tho I must admit that working on a big agency may influence and inspire you more.

Junior Member Mika is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    All of them are good in different ways. I've tried them all and I think you learn a lot from testing out different options. Learn and feel what suits you best :)

Junior Member nickryan is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macha View Post
    Freelance (as I am now), tho I must admit that working on a big agency may influence and inspire you more.
    Agree ! I like group brainstorming session, it's fun and inspired alot, anyway, you don't have the freedom as a freelancer does.

Banned stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    That depends on the tastes of each, and how they see the work.

Junior Member nickryan is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessClara View Post
    Freelancing can be great in terms of freedom/flexibility but its not for everyone - it can be difficult to find motivation and it can get lonely at times. Working in a team environment is uber important at the beginning of your career - there's so much to learn about process/client interactions etc that you just dont learn in school
    Maybe a freelance team is better than working alone, especially, working with friends who understand you

Junior Member Soren is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Freelancing is great, but actually, I think a decision like that doesn't depend only on what you like/want. If you have serious economic responsibilities, bills to pay each month, etc., sometimes not having a salary can be difficult, specially if your're not that good at managing your own finances. Also, sometimes freelancing depends a lot on the context (the country you live in, the economy at a particular time, etc.), while working for others means that you'll get a paycheck at the end of the month regardless of how many clients the agency had.

But of course, money isn't everything, so it pretty much depends on what you need/want at a certain point of your life.

11. Your ad here

Banned charliestills is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I think it depends on where you are in your career.

Most great designers start out at small studios work up to big studios then get tired of it and go out on their own.

I think being at a relatively large studio is great because it teaches you so much about working efficiently and especially working with clients.

Freelance is also great because it is the most enjoyable for a creative person.

Normal Member sawi89 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Small studio

Definitely small studio. You get the best work and you get heard too.

Normal Member syrup is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I freelanced straight from study. Initially it was part time while I developed a client base (about six months or so) then full time ever since.

That first year was a steep learning curve, especially managing clients, quoting and estimating how long projects will actually take to complete.

I've looked at/been offered a few jobs, but ultimately freelancing gives you the opportunity to work in so many different capacities and fields, and nothing I've come across quite seems match up to that.

It does have downsides of course, it's a solitary lifestyle, and money comes in fits and starts. Managing yourself is an unending exercise in personal development - you get better but it never becomes second nature. Also, your business is essentially you as a person, making it difficult to switch off.

I guess like most things, it's a balancing act of good and bad, and depends on you personally. I'm glad I started this way though, I imagine it must be a challenge for those used to a regular paycheck and a studio manager to adjust to freelance, especially if you have financial dependants.

Normal Member andeveryone is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I've worked in both and have to say I prefer a smaller agency (5 - 10 people) you get so much more freedom in terms of following a project from initial client meeting through to final delivery of the work. You also get to form a relationship with the client directly.. Something you will never get in a large/global agency where most of the client interaction is through account handlers etc.

That said, with a larger agency get security and also the opportunity to learn so much! In terms of different peoples skills (most agencies will normally have everything in-house from copywriters to developers.) Just my 10 cents..

Junior Member fr1m1nder will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    It depends on agency/studio type and policy.
    I work at small studio but we have fixed terms and a lot of projects, most of them are outsourced to us, so we don't have opportunity to make big influence on final products that we were working on. I think this is the biggest minus in such type of job.
    It's good when you produce all the product in house, like big agencies do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast