Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Freelance or Employed?

Junior Member Alli is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Happily employed - I still take freelance stuff but it's just too stressful relying on it full time.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Junior Member Alli is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffyh View Post
    Getting a written contract with clear terms and conditions (limits on changes and revisions, etc.) is probably of the smartest things any designer can do. It can be an uncomfortable topic, but as far as I am concerned, clients who bristle at a contract are the s I end up spending way too much time managing scope creep on. The other advantage a contract gives you is that it gives you the ability to agree on late payment and collection penalties in writing, so if the relationship goes sour you have a binding legal document you can use to recoup fees and interest.

I absolutely agree with this. For me it was a tough lesson to learn but after getting dicked around too much, too often, over nonsense changes ("can we see what it looks like a mm to the left?" "I know we agreed to let you choose the palette but can we see it in neon?" etc) it's the only way I'll work. If they balk at a strict contract chances are they aren't the kind of client I want to bother with.

I had a hard time early on quoting a job without feeling the need to apologize but I learned fast that if I deliver a quote with a straight face the client rarely argues.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Junior Member sandyesuh is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Employed but freelance, too. It's a lot of work but I just can't seem to let go of the stability...

Banned vasilescu is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Depends much on 's personality and way of being.

Both have pros and cons. Clearly working freelance, you have lots of liberty, but also can become isolated and feel al; whereas being employed offers lots of social benefits, and help you work with others, in a team. But you might have a fixed (and crowded) schedule, or have to do projects or things in a project, that you don't enjoy.

Banned Mind_War is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I have my own company, we produce books for transit education here.

Member fuzegraphics is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Fortunately I work better on my own as relying on a team usually lets me down.

I am therefore happy to freelance from home and don't feel isolated or lly.

Banned franco76r is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'm starting out but i've already worked on both sides.. both have pros and cons

Banned jello is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Currently working full time but hoping to switch to solely freelance in the next 5 years. A little worried about health insurance though.

Member fuzegraphics is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jello View Post
    Currently working full time but hoping to switch to solely freelance in the next 5 years. A little worried about health insurance though.
    The sor the better, but why are you worried about health insurance, you should earn more freelancing eventually.

Junior Member Bunker is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Freelance without a doubt, of curse you need:
    Good time Management
    Good my administration
    Good social skills
    And of curse you need to be good an love what you do, in that case things are going to be just fine.

11. Your ad here

Banned Web_D is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    I am 4 weeks away from graduating from my degree, Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication) and I am struggling with this very issue... I've had a couple freelance jobs and some aspects of that path appeal to me, and also I live in a small city so design jobs are highly sought after.. I kinda feel like I should at least try to get out there and gain a job in a studio, even if it's only for a little while, just for the experience, nerking etc.. And then later down the track maybe I can do my own thing..

Banned dadadada is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Web_D View Post
    I am 4 weeks away from graduating from my degree, Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication) and I am struggling with this very issue... I've had a couple freelance jobs and some aspects of that path appeal to me, and also I live in a small city so design jobs are highly sought after.. I kinda feel like I should at least try to get out there and gain a job in a studio, even if it's only for a little while, just for the experience, nerking etc.. And then later down the track maybe I can do my own thing..
    It's always good to have some experience with working in a studio... You can also get important contacts in the field... so I think it's a good way to start. However you still can offer some freelance services when working in a studio if you'll have a chance.
    Btw if you're from small city try to get your work on the internet. There are lot of work opportunities from all around the world... I'm based in the middle of Europe and I'm working for clients in States... It's good to have some way how people from other countries can see your work.

Banned jdarling is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Don't quit the day job. :)
    Freelance always.

Junior Member ciggytardust is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Working at a company but running a comic book company on the side.

Member Aes Sedai will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Employed!

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast