Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Freelance or Employed?

Junior Member vag66 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    25 years as a freelancer
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Banned freelt is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    employ. Don't freelance unless you have perfect time management skills.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Donor dooser is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Balance is a right way, I think

Our buyer for some reason considers that the design price , time it already pays for circulation. Seldom who is ready to pay for design in the separate line in the account. Therefore to be engaged in design on freelance it isn't so favorable. It seems to me to have favourably to a certain balance, the permanent job which is taking away no more than 20 hours per week, and the rest of the time to be engaged in freelance

Banned brunoalonso is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'm employed, freelancer and advertising student.
    'bout a year ago i tried to be only freelancer but it didn't work.

Banned ImageService is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Loved to freelance, but the amount of wanna-be-deigners is just ruining the price and to many businesses are just looking on the my not on quality... pair that with having a family = no go...

Banned ImageService is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    But instead of freelancing for my I enjoy designing at home as a hobby.. doing fun stuff for my kids and there friends. quite rewarding :-)

Banned troyp123 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzegraphics View Post
    I have always tried to encourage fellow graphic designers to work from home as a freelancer. The common answer: "Its too risky".

These days being employed is a risk as companies are retrenching employees by the thousdands. Every seems to be disposable.

There is more than enough work to go around for freelance graphic designers. If you are willing to give great service and quality design you are guaranteed to do well as there is a shortage of both.

People say the graphic design market is flooded. Yes it is, but flooded with designers who do sloppy work and have no idea how to treat their customers!

What are your thoughts?
    I've been freelancing for almost 5 years now, and it's the best decision I've ever made for my career. If any of you out there are feeling froggy, jump right in! The water's fine!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to troyp123 For This Useful Post:

Banned wildcard77 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    I quit 2 years back
    started freelancing,

have kept an assistant designer,
    have my own hours, doing great :)

I you have goods to offer good will come your way

Banned macha is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Both employed(5 years) and freelanced(3 years).
    Maybe I'll do a full time freelance anytime soon.

Junior Member werdizthaword is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    about the time adobe was in its 3.0/4.0 stage I tried going freelance, i didnt work, but it didnt work because I was still a huge novice that my work in retrospect wasnt to par and I was in the stage of my life where marriage, starting a fam and buying a house was in the loom. But I stayed ambitious and found a job at t-mobile working as a sales rep in store, which actually turned out to be a huge contributing factor to me being a full time t-shirt printer/designer. I used those years to gain and absorb the customer service factor, the salesmen ship, managerial skills (which I ended up becoming the lead sales guy), and most importantly I created a nerk of clients through casual conversation with a lot of the customers. During that time I continued to do freelance, and wasnt till about 5 yrs ago my wife pushed me to leave since she knew that it was my true passion and was tired of the corporate politics and demands that were being placed on me to push products on customers they didnt need. She told me that since I had supported her through nursing school and what not it was my turn to see if I could truly make it work on the second go round. So I put in my 2 wks and the following monday I find out that we would be expecting a 2nd child. This was a huge push for me to make sure it worked. I was definitely scared ****less upon discovering the new arrival since at this point it was too late to retract my resignation, but I pushed through and continue to push through it. It has been 5 yrs and I started my business with my last check and since then according to my yrly taxes I have doubled my income. Now of course it was a huge pay decrease, and most defintely have found where my peaks and valleys are throughout the year, so I now am always looking to find ways to fill those valleys. As a former graffiti artist I employed a lot of my guerilla advertising tactics to advertising. No I didnt go out spray painting my biz but designed biz cards and flyers and where ever I went I left a card. For example when I pump gas I leave a card at the pump, or when going through drive through I slide in the lip of the drive thru window, always keeping a eye out for new businesses and will patron them and offer services, social media along with the nerk I created, has helped me. I have yet to take out a ad or d any sort of conventional advertising and the majority of my clientele are of word of mouth,referral, and my guerilla style tactics.

As for business cards look into miamiflyers.com, axisflyers.com, jakprints.com and they offer full color front and back on good card stack with uv coating for 5k cards at or about $100.

The best of luck with it and where there is a will there is a way....stay determined and positive...
    Screen Print wizard of sorts

12. Your ad here

Junior Member Pappy is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ImageService View Post
    But instead of freelancing for my I enjoy designing at home as a hobby.. doing fun stuff for my kids and there friends. quite rewarding :-)
    I freelanced for almost 2 years but lacked the drive and motivation it takes to make it on your own, so luckily I found a full time design job that I like. Now, like ImageService I do mostly personal or family projects at home!

Junior Member WLMG is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    If possible try to do both.

Working for an agency 2 days a week and freelancing the rest is perfect IMO.

1. It covers your overheads and rent

2. The agency respects you more than fulltimers

3. Keeps you sane & creatively fulfilled

4. You can still party / have a life

5. Access to agency resources / people that can flow into your freelance business

Junior Member GODIVA is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'm currently employed and do freelance as well. I will eventually quit my job once I have enough clients to support me financially.

Banned kbrandon is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzegraphics View Post
    That's exactly what I did. For a whole year I worked from 8 - 5pm and then got home and worked from 6 - 12pm. It was hard but I don't regret it for a second.
    I am in the process of doing this now. I think it's the safest route--using regular employment as a fallback, should freelancing not pan out, whatever the reason. It can take awhile to create a steady clientele base.

Junior Member MidnightSnack is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'm an engineer that started tinkering with some software to flex my creative muscle. my sister asked me to do some stuff for her non profit and people started to notice now I do freelance on the side. it's a neat extra hobby that gives me supplemental income plus thinking creatively also helps in my other profession.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast