Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Freelance or Employed?

Banned bscureas is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    i think the key is to have a diverse enough portfolio that when you _are_ desperate for my, you can find in-house/corporate work pretty quickly. or at least, that's what works for me!
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Banned salvatore is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I've been freelancing for 7 years, and I don't think I could go back to being employed. Love the freedom, and I only need to take the client's wishes into account, not the client's plus my boss's, which can sometimes be really tough to balance.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Banned mendozaspeed is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    How do you guys find freelance work? Like how do you promote yourselves? Every designer I've talked to said they worked in the industry for a while, and then their clients just followed them.

And what kind of design work do you guys do?

Member fuzegraphics is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mendozaspeed View Post
    How do you guys find freelance work? Like how do you promote yourselves? Every designer I've talked to said they worked in the industry for a while, and then their clients just followed them.

Register a company, create a website to showcase your portfolio, advertise on free local directories, align yourself with printers (they often get design requests which is not their core business) email newsletters / marketing, social media marketing.

It takes a while but eventually word gets around and business starts picking up.

Banned cwilli28 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzegraphics View Post
    \
    Also try advertising locally. There is usually so much business right under your nose. Go to local businesses eg. restaurants for menus. Businesses usually like using suppliers that are close to them.
    Couldn't be more true. I come from a small town and it always surprises me how many people here need work. And they sometimes know a person from a larger town nearby that needs work as well. I also try and visit nearby printers to see what they have going on, and to cut down my printing costs. Sometimes I get business through them

Banned cwilli28 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

I started by looking at craigslist, asking business owners I knew, and sending out flyers to business/ sports teams that were nearby. I do quite a bit of videography, and a lot of sports graphic work. Recently been approached to do t-shirt design, which is how I found this forum actually.

Junior Member likeyouimagined is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    The big thing is just to keep making things and showing them to people.
    As long as you keep making things, you will keep getting better.
    As long as you keep showing them to people, people will ask you to make things for them. It may sound pedantic, but that's really all there is to it. That and sticking with it long enough to get really good.

Junior Member SteveM is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    part time job and freelance! i work weekends at a supplies shop so that also helps cut down on expenses in my freelance work

Junior Member tonyzafi is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Freelance

rom
    Banned rom is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Working on a home-based type setting for 7 years now. It feels like I'm a freelancer, but I still have a 'boss' :) So far, everything has been great. I can practically work anywhere I want but I found that I'm very productive and creative at home. So no outdoor work for me :p

11. Your ad here

Banned fartalot is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    For the moment, I am employed but someday I wish to be freelance or have my own company

Banned dreamgrlv is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I worked at a company for 5 years and quit to freelance for the last 5 years. There are pros and cons for both scenarios but thing I really miss about working in a company is the team interaction.

Junior Member rcn29 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I've d both, but most of the time a freelancer. and i earn more as a freelancer.

Junior Member saleem.azm81 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    employed or freelance both has certain advantages n also disadvantages so u look at ur better position and choose, according to me its freelancer better if u can handle the customers

Member tinytoes has a spectacular aura about tinytoes has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks
    I agree, the market is flooded with people who think they can design just because they know how to use Photoshop and Illustrator. I've been doing freelance work for 10 years. It's a struggle. But I taught myself other things like web design and a little product photography so I do that on the side.
    You're all lucky you have lots of job opportunities, great printers. We don't have that here.

How much do you usually charge per hour? I'm just wondering how far behind I am.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast