+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Designing client editable content

Banned ernie is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Designing client editable content

I imagine many of you have also been in the situation where a client has said:

'Please ensure that we can edit the [insert graphic design project: e.g. menu] in the future, we'd like to be able to use [insert common computer software: e.g. Word '97]'

I'd be interested to hear about the ways in which you approach these sorts of projects and if you have any words of advice, particularly if it's to do with designing editable menus in Word.

Banned Coriandra is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I've encountered a few clients who would rather try their hand at editing things themselves rather than paying me to maintain the work. My best advice is to be honest. Explain to them what programs they would need (because we all know Word '97 ain't going to do it) and what basic knowledge one should possess to properly edit your work. Plus it's always nice to make sure your work is clean and easy to understand, even if for only your own benefit if you do have to go back in there. Most importantly make sure they know exactly how to back up and restore in case things go awry, because 90% of the time things DO go awry and the client comes back to you anyways.

Banned Steffy is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie View Post
    'Please ensure that we can edit the [insert graphic design project: e.g. menu] in the future, we'd like to be able to use [insert common computer software: e.g. Word '97]'
    Wow, I'd really love to see somebody editing a menu with Word '97, ah ah

To answer your question I agree with Coriandra, simply tell them the truth and find a way to compromise, making the design as simple as possible and make it editable with some free and easy software that your client can use; plus obviously teach them how to use it.

If then they're the typical clients that think everybody can design (with Word 97...), then I suggest you to find a new client because clients like that just bring you troubles and headaches

Banned soapb0x is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Normally if it's just changing out the copy or some other small edit, I would just do it for free. You get to decide if the time it takes to make some of the edits yourself is worth it or else you can charge an hourly rate for revisions after the project is done.

Also I agree it would be worthwhile to be honest with the client and let them know what they need in order to be able to edit the documents. Try your hardest to no be condescending, it's super tough but it will help when the client ultimately decides it's easier to have you make the edits :)

Lastly, if they did not request the document be editable in a program that's out of the ordinary for the project from the beginning, you should tell them "hey, this wasn't what was originally agreed upon and though I would be happy to fulfill your request, I will need to charge you an additional ____ as the that program isn't something that is normally used to create such projects and converting them will take some time." If they do request it from the beginning just be like "___ Isn't typically used for projects such as yours and I am more than happy to fulfill your request, but it will have cost ___ extra"

+ Reply to Thread