+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Design project for my publishing class

Banned anfib20 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Design project for my publishing class

Hi,

I am doing a self directed publishing project this semester for my course. I have to create a business card, stylized resume, email letterhead and update my portfolio website.

I was wondering if any has any suggestions on how to come up with an overall idea for the look. Usually I will draw out some rough thumbs and I of course want all of these items to have a similar look and feel. Just looking for any tips to make the whole project come together smoothly.

Thanks!

Junior Member greener20 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I came across this little site:

www.freelogoservices.com

You put in the name, type of business, then it creates a logo for you. Good for letterhead and other such things. Free to try. If you want to keep of the logos they create then you have to pay.

Might give you a jumping off point.

Illustrator has some templates that might give you some ideas too.

Good luck! Sounds like a fun project.

Donor ItGraphicDesigner is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    So basically, you are trying to create a brand.

To create a good package (business card, stylized resume, email letterhead), you first have to have a business or a business idea. You cannot create this package outside of the business. The business has to exist first, even if it's an imaginary business.

So define your business asking questions about every aspect of it, and only then, you can create the business card, stylized resume, email letterhead that define your business. If you go directly to the design, without understanding your business, your business card (etc) will look either creative over useful, or just like that of the other businesses: you won't stand out.

Junior Member mrxempz is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    repetition of design.... after you decide what business you making

Junior Member martin2013 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    There are a lot of free vector sites that might help with your logo but as said above you must first choose what kind of business you are "running".

Banned ggodby will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    I think a good start would be to check out this book "[URL="http://www.4shared.com/office/tYcvZ4eb/logo_font__lettering_bible.html"]Logo, Font & Lettering Bible[/URL]" by Leslie Carbarga

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ggodby For This Useful Post:

Junior Member Bobmountain is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    First thing first : a graphic designer is some who can transform something like a long text explaining stuff in the simpliest way. Specially when you're talking about yourself.

First : which typeface will show who you are. I know a few comic sans, some Times, and maybe a Trajan or . But since you know who you are, and how the typefaces can say something more, I would go for the Font first.

Then you go on what is your name, and who you are. Would it handle a word joke? a little letter gaming? a few hide and seek with differents typefaces?

Color will come in the end. Just with who you really are.

Sometimes, thinking about your resume ends up in creating everything as a puzzle. With a lot of different pieces.

Still go for books, website, logorama. But in the end, you are the designer, you so it yourself, you will find it.

Do not hesitate and show us.

bob

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bobmountain For This Useful Post:

Junior Member pboy is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    yah yah yah i got it. thank many lot.

Banned anfib20 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    thanks for the input sorry for not replying right away i have been busy shooting video

basically i am branding for myself not fictional. i am going to school taking a media course that specializes in video, photography, publishing and journalism. i sort of have an idea in regards to the direction i want to head i just need to come up with a few ideas. i started by drawing out some thumbnails for the logo.

i don't really want to just find random vectors and throw them together to form a logo. i would rather challenge myself and create the logo myself using illustrator (not that there is anything wrong with that idea though thanks)

i think i am just going about it the wrong way and i have decided to just have fun with it instead of stressing the deadline (but be mindful of time also)

i appreciate all of you who took time to comment thank you very much!

thinking of using jukeboxprint.com has any worked with them before in regards to print stuff? they seem legit and offer a lot of different options! again thanks yall

Junior Member macdowskie is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmountain View Post
    First thing first : a graphic designer is some who can transform something like a long text explaining stuff in the simpliest way. Specially when you're talking about yourself.

First : which typeface will show who you are. I know a few comic sans, some Times, and maybe a Trajan or . But since you know who you are, and how the typefaces can say something more, I would go for the Font first.

Then you go on what is your name, and who you are. Would it handle a word joke? a little letter gaming? a few hide and seek with differents typefaces?

Color will come in the end. Just with who you really are.

Sometimes, thinking about your resume ends up in creating everything as a puzzle. With a lot of different pieces.

Still go for books, website, logorama. But in the end, you are the designer, you so it yourself, you will find it.

Do not hesitate and show us.

bob
    Good tips!
    You got my stare on your post!
    Starters must listen to these kinds of advices,..not just 'bookish' people, or 'copy-pasted' theories.. what's real is real, theories are theories..

13. Your ad here

14. The Following User Says Thank You to macdowskie For This Useful Post:

Junior Member alaurart is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I highly recommend this site to get inspired:
    http://www.bpando.org

Banned aeronomic is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    How'd it turn out? :) I usually like to make a design board with fonts, colors, and patterns, and then go from there. Works well for me.

Banned redwing is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    i usually explore the internet for a few hours for inspiration then i do some mood boards basically an inspiration board includes anything from photos, color palettes, typefaces, fabrics or paper samples, basically anything you can glue to that bitch that will help you put everything you want to try to embody in your design. it helps alot

Banned skaventh is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I am collecting a lot of reference for a new design from site like http://www.behance.net/ and http://www.brandingserved.com/
    then develop something from there.

Junior Member Alanzed is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Look, buy and create

It's basically the work of any designer that you try to do.. For a beginning you should try to look for free template just for inspiration. And the you can buy a more sophisticated template on envato websites. With basic skills you will the be able to adapt it to your needs.

Good work

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast