+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: CorelDRAW as a standard?

Banned delvanderver will become famous soon enough delvanderver will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

CorelDraw is Not a Standard

Hi
    I have been a designer for more than 20 years and I have used virtually all graphic design apps. I can tell you that the industry standard apps are from Adobe.
    Illustrator

Photoshop
    InDesign
    Dreamweaver,
    Flash
    etc…

Member netizen777 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

CorelDRAW is much more versatile than Illustrator

Well, I think that small printing bussiness uses mainly CorelDRAW for one reason IS MUCH MORE VERSATILE. In CorelDRAW you can open and save documents in .AI and .PSD format , and has hundreds of graphic filters to import works. So you can work with a very wide range of clients and sectors.

Also in CorelDRAW you are not limited in the size of the document, for instance you can create a sign for a truck in real size, don´t need to calculate proportions/scales like in Adobe Illustrator . That is why, in sign industry CorelDRAW is also the main tool.

If you need to create a big size banner, a small size trophy logo, print a t-shirt, and of course design some graphic promotion, you can do it with CorelDRAW faster and easier :)

Banned TeeZee is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I unfortunately agree with others who say that CorelDraw is just not an industry standard. It's Illustrator and Adobe in the Real-World, like it or lump it.

I've never visited a design consultancy anywhere (and I visit lots) which uses it over AI. Perhaps print shops are different … ?

Banned poltergeist is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Never understood the lack of initiative to release OS X version of CD. Big mistake on their part.

Junior Member Bodoni is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    All publishing printing devices use PDF (or maybe massive TIFF files).

I use a bunch of old software to make my files. (Book interior and covers.) Doesn't matter, as long as they output PDF, or raw PS, which I distill to PDF.

Always prints right.
    I wouldn't want anyone screwing with my designs.
    Of course they can use imposition software to position and separate the PDFs.

I started graphics using CorelDraw 2, later 3. Now I use Illustrator 10, later versions of CD seemed flaky. Ancient, but it does what I need and is really fast on a new PC.

I grew to mistrust Corel as I started DTP using Ventura (and still use it, 20 years later). Corel bought it, and f***ed it up trying to make it work in Windows, then abandoned it rather than work out the bugs. So I reverted to Ventura DOS and just distil its PS output for text, make EPS graphics with Illustrator or Photoshop and place them.

Works for me, doing text-intensive books. Have designed and seen few hundred to print so far.

Banned djyuckfou is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Ive used both in my graphic design career but i much prefer illustrator, i found corel not very intuative but for working with line nodes i find corel is a lot more versitile! also measuring cap heights corel can do it without having to outline the text which is handy for us that do signage and deal with legibilty

Banned axytrix is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Adobe is an industry standard, if your not using it you would barely be able to collaborate.

Junior Member Rojo has a spectacular aura about Rojo has a spectacular aura about Rojo has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks
    In some countries, is a standard, not all seem to have access to Adobe software

Banned dominik is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    It’s been a while since I last read this thread. Thanks for so many great answers.

Bra
    Banned Bra is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Periodically I'll have clients supply me with CD artwork... I absolutely despise how CD compiles PDF files... I only use CD to export files in a way that I can input them into an adobe program.

I think Flexi is a much better version of CD.

11. Your ad here

Banned aztecaadict is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j0209 View Post
    If your printer requires CorelDraw files, find a new printer, they are hack! CD is not industry standard.
    Exactly CD is not standard, many printers had this program, but they need installed, many customers have this program

Banned doomallcaps is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'd steer clear of Corel! I used it briefly at University but the industry standard is surely Illustrator?!

Banned iamevo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    It's rubbish isn't it - its because they can't afford Adobe licences. Hopefully with CC out, it's got a bit cheaper for them?

PRC Member johnlongthomas is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Most of the comments against Corel above are by people who simply do no know any better. Classic were the individuals who commented that you never see agencies or consultants using Corel. I rest my case .

Junior Member ciggytardust is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    Tried the old version, but it crashes immediately.

The point of the question was not using CorelDRAW itself (and installing a virtual machine with Windows in order to run the suite).
    Inkscape can open most CDR files but in some cases the script used to convert the file doesn't pull through. It may be the CDR files have different versions similar to Illustrator files with associated versions. At my shop we use Inkscape majority of the time to convert CDR files.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast