+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: CorelDRAW as a standard?

Banned Kalle is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IVA View Post
    Corel Draw on many positions is in the lead, advancing competitors from Adobe. In Europe it became long ago the standard. In America Adobe positions are strong.
    I can confirm that. In Corel is VERY strong in Germany for example, outsells Adobe at least 5 to 1

Banned meks413 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    While making myself familiar with different print shops, I noticed that those cheaper always require having materials delivered as a CorelDRAW files, like it’s a de facto standard. Since I’m a Mac user, I think this is quite problematic.

Is there a technical (or strictly hardware-dependant) reason that makes Corel so common in the lower price ranged shops?
    Here in Eastern Europe, for a very long time Corel was (and still is in some places) a standard for delivering files. This is largely because of the fact that very old printing machines only support Corel, for as much as I know. Newer machines have no issues with Illustrator - maybe this is the answer to your question - old machinery in cheaper print shops?

Still, I don't think there is a huge issue here, just flatten or expand appearance of effects, save as .EPS and send it over to be printed cheaply :)

Junior Member JeReming is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Is there a technical (or strictly hardware-dependant) reason that makes Corel so common in the lower price ranged shops?
    Corel Draw allows you to work very quickly. Fast = cheap. That's the reason.

Donor bruce695 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Hack?

I have owned a service bureau since 1984 and coreldraw is a great program and still does things that illustrator doesn't. I prefer Illustrator but still use corel for certain things. I was on a plane with the original owner of corel just by chance, and he told me that adobe systems did everything in their power to keep the Apple people from cooperating with them in order for them to compete. By the time they were able to get into the apple mac system, it was too late and a lot of their software was emulation because (I was told) they still didn't give them everything they needed to make a functional mac ap. I personally think they should not have released the mac version until they ird out the bugs. Back then crossing platforms was a major issue, not like today. Adobe owned the post script language which was the basis for any file format that contained any vector, pixel and fonts combined. I am a mac guy, but use both platforms, most mac people are not objective and have a problem with anything pc. If you are preparing and printing your own files, I would highly recommend corel and the pc , not because it's better, but because the mac and adobe software prices are out of line with their advantages.
    Last edited by bruce695; 09-17-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Moderator Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of
    Thanks
    Arrrgh Corel, id rather masturbate with a cheese grater :p

Thanks

Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by Willburwilde View Post
    Arrrgh Corel, id rather masturbate with a cheese grater :p
    Do you remember The Monkees? That logo would take hours in Illustrator, minutes in corel 2. I still haven't found an easy way to "envelope" in the newer versions of Illustrator. I admit I am more of a technician than an artist though. I can massage just about anything through a rip.

Moderator Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce695 View Post
    Do you remember The Monkees? That logo would take hours in Illustrator, minutes in corel 2. I still haven't found an easy way to "envelope" in the newer versions of Illustrator. I admit I am more of a technician than an artist though. I can massage just about anything through a rip.
    Same here, although

Distort objects using an envelope

Select or more objects.
    Create the envelope using of the following methods:
    To use a preset warp shape for the envelope, choose Object > Envelope Distort > Make With Warp. In the Warp Options dialog box, select a warp style and set options.

To set up a rectangular grid for the envelope, choose Object > Envelope Distort > Make With Mesh. In the Envelope Mesh dialog box, set the number of rows and columns.

To use an object as the shape of the envelope, make sure the object is at the top of the stacking order for the selected object. If it’s not, use the Layers panel or an Arrange command to move it up, and reselect all the objects. Then choose Object > Envelope Distort > Make With Top Object.

Reshape the envelope by doing any of the following:
    Drag any anchor point on the envelope with the Direct Selection or Mesh tool.

To delete anchor points on the mesh grid, select an anchor point with either the Direct Selection or Mesh tools, and then press Delete.

To add anchor points to the mesh grid, click on the grid with the Mesh tool.

To apply a stroke or fill to an envelope, use the Appearance panel.

Banned aztecaadict is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IVA View Post
    It is a standard problem at many. Unfortunately, even good designers often aren't able to make the correct settings. But it not Corel Draw problem, is a problem of qualification of the user.
    Sure, but CD is to me more complicated than illustrator refers ICC profiles

Junior Member JeReming is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamsbans View Post
    CorelDraw is so easy to use
    The same thing in Corel and Illusrator called differently. For example «Stroke» and «Outline». It's damn difficult training.

Banned disability is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Vote for Corel Draw

I used both actually, used Ai for 5 yrs CD for 4 yrs till now, i always use CD then send to client with Ai

11. Your ad here

Thanks

Corel or Illustrator

I was not casting aspersions on either product or the users, in fact quite the opposite, they are both great products, both very capable of doing just about anything a professional needs d. I learned on AI because I was usually dealing with existing files. The early Corel was a Godsend though because it dealt with file formats that AI wouldn't touch such as .dwg etc...

Junior Member xiu520 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    While making myself familiar with different print shops, I noticed that those cheaper always require having materials delivered as a CorelDRAW files, like it’s a de facto standard. Since I’m a Mac user, I think this is quite problematic.

Let your customers publish PDF files to you,
    Let him give you proofread exported JPG file
    Or you install dual system, you can also install PC virtual machine, install a higher version of CorelDRAW

Junior Member martinmasor is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    agree CD is very simple and all adobe products are only more and more complicated they have to to do it more simple

Junior Member msergek is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    installing a virtual machine with Windows in order to run the suite

Junior Member Morineko is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I've been using CorelDraw for many years, and have only recently become more adept with the various CS products. I find that Draw sort of... straddles between Illustrator and InDesign. Between AI and CD, I'll generally prefer Draw, but for something that's almost entirely text? I'd much rather use InDesign. The shop I work at has d things in all of those programs, though, with PDFs being our 'standard' in terms of proofs, storage, and if we send anything out. We have both Macs and Windows machines doing design work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast