+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: CorelDRAW as a standard?

IVA
    Banned IVA is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Corel Draw on many positions is in the lead, advancing competitors from Adobe. In Europe it became long ago the standard. In America Adobe positions are strong.

Banned danielvann is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I avoid Corel Draw as much as I can. It's non standard and, thankfully, it's being less used as time goes by.

I was a big fan of Freehand and now basically use Illustrator.

IVA
    Thanks
    I long worked in printing house and advertizing agencies. More than 90% of works which to us brought, were made in Corel Draw. With them it was much simpler to work than with the huge and slow Illistrator files. As I own both programs and I am able to work in them, I can objectively tell that for those who is able to work with it, Corel is much more convenient. Besides, its files have much the smaller size.

Junior Member vitalio is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danielvann View Post
    I avoid Corel Draw as much as I can. It's non standard and, thankfully, it's being less used as time goes by.
    Totally agree. It's not a standard in any case, just happened so that in the beginning designers often start working using CD.
    Speaking of myself, for about 5 years I was CorelDraw user, and I have to say a long period it was in many cases better than Illustrator then. But Illustrator got better and better and I moved to it. Today I wouldn't change it back)))

5. The Following User Says Thank You to vitalio For This Useful Post:

Junior Member maxim13 will become famous soon enough maxim13 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    I used corel from ver. 8 until ver. 13, and there where many tries in that time to work with illustrator but being used with the corel tools never got the hang of illustrator. when i changed from windows to mac, i was forced to make the transition to illustrator because the last version of corel for mac was ver. 11, which was so bad from my point of view even on windows. now i have the same amount of years working with illustrator and i can say that both programs are best in their own way, but developers of plugins seem more interested in the adobe suite (i don't know if corel allows plugins) and with the Astute plugins, illustrator is becoming a more powerful tool in working with vectors. the only problem that should be solved from adobe part is the possibility to save and open cdr files, this option being available in the new corels, and with that both can share the podium of standard.

Junior Member param is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

corel

corel works good on pc and it does not have mac application

Junior Member Ferre_alex is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    But, can't you send the files in pdf? Here in Brazil, almost all printing shops uses PDF as the standard to receive files.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ferre_alex For This Useful Post:

Banned razzmailbox is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    While making myself familiar with different print shops, I noticed that those cheaper always require having materials delivered as a CorelDRAW files, like it’s a de facto standard. Since I’m a Mac user, I think this is quite problematic.

Is there a technical (or strictly hardware-dependant) reason that makes Corel so common in the lower price ranged shops?
    OSX doesn't run corel. I think it's mostly cheaper because it's easier to work with, and quite straightforward. I'm still learning to use illustrator. I learnt to use coreldraw in 3 days.

Banned razzmailbox is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maxim13 View Post
    (i don't know if corel allows plugins) and with the Astute plugins, illustrator is becoming a more powerful tool in working with vectors. the only problem that should be solved from adobe part is the possibility to save and open cdr files, this option being available in the new corels, and with that both can share the podium of standard.
    Corel does not allow plugins. And I dont think Adobe wants to share anything.

Junior Member Ferre_alex is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by razzmailbox View Post
    OSX doesn't run corel. I think it's mostly cheaper because it's easier to work with, and quite straightforward. I'm still learning to use illustrator. I learnt to use coreldraw in 3 days.
    The problem with corel is that sometimes the effects that you make on the job do not show on the final printed piece (when you are making an art that later will be printed on a print shop). With Illustrator the chance for that happen is really low.

13. Your ad here

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ferre_alex For This Useful Post:

Banned mattisme2003 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cre8edbasslines View Post
    Long time Adobe user since version 5.

BUT....

Ever since I started working for the FASTSIGNS franchise... I had to learn CorelDraw.
    After 5 years of being a solid user... I've converted.

Corel can do it all... it saves me a great deal of time when designing.

I still love my Photoshop and even use Illustrator for certain file conversions.
    But cannot live without my CorelDraw.

I think those who say it's a crapy program... haven't tried it long enough.

I still use illustrator from time to time... but for speed and performance corel win hands down.
    I agree; I'm an adobe guy myself; but I've used corel some and definitely have seen it's benefits in certain areas. I was actually really surprised with everything it can do. (I come from a back ground in screen printing and signs) You'll see small 'cheaper' shops who only use adobe as well as you will find small 'cheap' shops using corel. I really think it's the same as any other debate: PC vs MAC, Ford vs Chevy, etc.

Banned indio will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    CD vs Ai
    debate will never end even after judgement day. just convert your file into EPS or pdf files for printing (i mean not PDF for web), its industry standard and if they still can not accept it that shop is certainly not worth your time to visit.

Banned aztecaadict is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j0209 View Post
    If your printer requires CorelDraw files, find a new printer, they are hack! CD is not industry standard.
    Exactly many years ago I used corel draw but I had many problems with the printed colors, everybody know this problem.

IVA
    Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by aztecaadict View Post
    Exactly many years ago I used corel draw but I had many problems with the printed colors, everybody know this problem.
    It is a standard problem at many. Unfortunately, even good designers often aren't able to make the correct settings. But it not Corel Draw problem, is a problem of qualification of the user.

Banned Kalle is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by razzmailbox View Post
    But can learn Illustrator also in 3 days. I don't see a difference there between the packages.
    It only boils down to price for me. Corel is more affordable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast