+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: CorelDRAW as a standard?

Banned dominik is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

CorelDRAW as a standard?

While making myself familiar with different print shops, I noticed that those cheaper always require having materials delivered as a CorelDRAW files, like it’s a de facto standard. Since I’m a Mac user, I think this is quite problematic.

Is there a technical (or strictly hardware-dependant) reason that makes Corel so common in the lower price ranged shops?
    Last edited by dominik; 03-31-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Fixing typos

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dominik For This Useful Post:

PRC Member spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    While making myself familiar with different print shops, I noticed that those cheaper always require having materials delivered as a CorelDRAW files, like it’s a de facto standard. Since I’m a Mac user, I think this is quite problematic.

Is there a technical (or strictly hardware-dependant) reason that makes Corel so common in the lower price ranged shops?
    you already have found the main reason: low price!

most corel users cant afford a mac and the standard software for the graphical industry from adobe.

corel draw is much cheaper than adobe suite but is far away from professional pruduction. the standard for professional users is still adobe cs and pdf.

if some1 will tell you something else this only proofs his lack of knowledge.

Thanks
    I’ve never checked prices of CorelDRAW suite, but this makes sense.

BTW, is there a converter from PDF/EPS/AI to CDR that could be trusted? Doesn’t have to be free.

PRC Member spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all
    Thanks
    I’ve never checked prices of CorelDRAW suite, but this makes sense.

BTW, is there a converter from PDF/EPS/AI to CDR that could be trusted? Doesn’t have to be free.
    corel draw can open/import all three of these file types.

but some special effects and transparencies might get lost. so you have to verify the import results very carefully. always ask your printshop for a proof print before going to production!

safest way is to deal with illustrator 8.0 .ai or .eps files. convert text to curves first.
    this gives the safest results in converting to .cdr.

btw: there is also an old version of corel draw for macintosh. its very awful and crashes a lot but you might give it a try.

Thanks
    Tried the old version, but it crashes immediately.

The point of the question was not using CorelDRAW itself (and installing a virtual machine with Windows in order to run the suite).

Thanks
    Tried the old version, but it crashes immediately.

The point of the question was not using CorelDRAW itself (and installing a virtual machine with Windows in order to run the suite).
    i dont think there is a standalo.n.e converter.

but as i said earlier: convert your files to .ai version 8.0 before sending to the print shop.
    this is the best way to transfer files to cdr which is available.

even better way is to avoid people working with corel draw for business at all.

always keep in mind: you only get what you pay for!
    and if you buy cheap you will have to buy twice!

Thanks
    Unfortunately, the main problem is that I’m not the who makes an order in a print shop — I’m the who prepares the project. ;)

Junior Member dotdothere is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    adobe is the way to go

PRC Member johnlongthomas is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Another view

I am not a designer, I am a production guy. Coreldraw is very versatile. For this reason it is a defacto standard in many industries and in many parts of the world.

It is of the few products left saving us from an Adobe monoply

Junior Member cre8edbasslines is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

CorelDraw Rocks

Long time Adobe user since version 5.

BUT....

Ever since I started working for the FASTSIGNS franchise... I had to learn CorelDraw.
    After 5 years of being a solid user... I've converted.

Corel can do it all... it saves me a great deal of time when designing.

I still love my Photoshop and even use Illustrator for certain file conversions.
    But cannot live without my CorelDraw.

I think those who say it's a crapy program... haven't tried it long enough.

I still use illustrator from time to time... but for speed and performance corel win hands down.

12. Your ad here

Donor Shap will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

Automation and scripting w. CorelDRAW

In 1995, Corel incorporated automation into CorelDRAW 6 by including its Corel SCRIPT language. This enabled solution developers to create intelligent mini-applications within CorelDRAW, such as s that draw shapes, reposition and resize shapes, open and close documents, set styles, and so on.
    Corel SCRIPT was included with CorelDRAW versions 6 through 9. Although the Corel SCRIPT editor is not included with CorelDRAW in versions after 9, the run-time engine is included, so scripts written for earlier versions of CorelDRAW can easily be migrated to the latest versions.
    In 1998, Corel took the strategic decision to augment the Corel SCRIPT functionality of CorelDRAW 9 by licensing the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications engine to handle its behind-the-scenes automation. The addition of VBA in CorelDRAW 11 made CorelDRAW immediately accessible to millions of existing VBA developers, as well as Visual Basic developers around the world.
    VBA in CorelDRAW can be used as a platform for developing powerful corporate graphical solutions, such as automated ticket generators, customized calendars, and batch processing of files. VBA can also be used to enhance and optimize the workflow within CorelDRAW. For example, you can improve and customize some of the built-in
    functionality of CorelDRAW (alignments, transformations, object creation), or add page layouts on-the-fly (company letterheads).
    VBA comes with a fully integrated development environment that provides contextual pop-up lists, syntax highlighting, line-by-line debugging, and visual designer windows. These helpful prompts and aids create a particularly friendly environment for inexperienced developers to learn in.

IVA
    Banned IVA is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Corel advances Illustrator in many positions. It is a pity just for him don't let out under MAC OS X

Junior Member Mill is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    installing a virtual machine with Windows in order to run the suite

Junior Member Belf is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I think both CDR and Adobe CS have their advantages and disadvantages but the reason to choose CDR is a price in most cases.

Donor j0209 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    If your printer requires CorelDraw files, find a new printer, they are hack! CD is not industry standard.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to j0209 For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast