+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Colours change when pasting in illustrator

Junior Member kassinopious is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Colours change when pasting in illustrator

Any ever had this problem before.

I am supplied with a file from a client, which i open up in illustrator. Before printing i need to lay the arrk up on a cutting guide. So i generally copy and past the arrk over in to a new file containing the cutting guide. In doing this, Illustrator often changes my CMYK values to something completely different.

I've scratched my head for a long time over it and have found the issue seems to be something to do with book colour being used for spots and then changing to CMYK upon pasting.

The differences can be massive though for example, 50, 12, 75, 3 could become something like 23, 28, 49, 16. Note thats not a live example but just to indicate how much each of the 4 values changes.

Any ideas on how to prevent this happening in future.

Also, should point out that both files are assigned the same colour profile.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Best
    Kassinopious

PRC Member spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kassinopious View Post

I am supplied with a file from a client, which i open up in illustrator. Before printing i need to lay the arrk up on a cutting guide. So i generally copy and past the arrk over in to a new file containing the cutting guide. In doing this, Illustrator often changes my CMYK values to something completely different.

I've scratched my head for a long time over it and have found the issue seems to be something to do with book colour being used for spots and then changing to CMYK upon pasting.

The differences can be massive though for example, 50, 12, 75, 3 could become something like 23, 28, 49, 16. Note thats not a live example but just to indicate how much each of the 4 values changes.

Best
    Kassinopious
    this happens if 1 document is in rgb mode and the other document is in cmyk mode.

why dont you just copy the cutting guide into your arrk file?

Junior Member kassinopious is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Hey thanks for the reply.

This still happens when both files are in CMYK or RGB mode, as mentid above i try to keep all my docs in the same format, colour profile etc.

This problem seems to be something to do with book colour on spots but i can't put my finger on exactly what illustrator is doing or for what purpose it is doing it.

I can copy cutter guide in to arrk file but it takes a bit longer doing it that way as i then need to resize the artboard to the right size for the job, center and align everything, doesnt take long but its mildly annoying, would much prefer illustrator to just stop f*cking around with the colours, that would make life so much easier for me.

PRC Member bamboo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Check the Color Settings.

Color Management Policies
    There is the three checkboxes [x] regarding to automatic-or-not color conversions ("policies").

When you paste something with Color Management ON, there is possible variants:
    1) the source and target color spaces are the same, nothing happens - cmyk/rgb numbers are not changed
    2) the source and target color scpace are not the same, possible auto (hidden) numbers conversion to match the source color
    3) the source color space is unknown, assuming working space and if the target color space is not the same as working, there we go to (2).

I prefer to keep all of them checked, because I do not want to any "auto" (hidden) conversions.

ps. Sorry for my English.

UPD1. The Swatches panel have a radio-button option regarding Spot colors: by default, is is intended to color-separate all the spot colors to working CMYK color space (ICC), and AI shows the resulting color after that conversion. I prefer to switch the spot colors visualisation to Lab, therefore, AI shows the actual swatch-book color defined in Lab. Of course, it works only in Overprint Preview mode.
    Easy to check: switch the Swatches panel spot color option to Lab, add any swatch like Pant0ne ™ Reflex Blue C, then go back and forth with the Overprint preview toggle. You should notice that in Overprint preview ON the color is much more saturated and shown as close to the swatchbook as your monitor can visualize the wide-gamut colors.
    Last edited by bamboo; 05-13-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Banned paralyys is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bamboo View Post
    I prefer to switch the spot colors visualisation to Lab, therefore, AI shows the actual swatch-book color defined in Lab. Of course, it works only in Overprint Preview mode.
    I guess that's the key - allthough the Lab conversion doesn't follow the pant recipie for cmyk conversion. So mind that.

Junior Member param is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    change the document mode from rgb to cmyk mode

Junior Member saleem.azm81 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    when u copy anything in spot colour it will ask to import that spot colour also

Junior Member saleem.azm81 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    try to flatten transparency first then copy it to the other file

Banned Gm70 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kassinopious View Post

Best
    Kassinopious
    I would suspect color management. The pasted file goes through an icc profile for example.

+ Reply to Thread