+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chinese Illustration Style

Senior Member linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 434 Posts

Chinese Illustration Style

Hi all,
    Hope there're some professional Adobe PhotoShop (PS) users here :)
    I've used PS for few years and yet I'm not pro, but not so novice. But thoughout the years using PS, I still can not figure out for this style of illustration I usually see from the chinese designers/arrks/illustrations:

For example, this:

I have some ideas insisted that this is Digital Painting, drawn from z-e-r-o , but a lot of other ideas said that this is simply a blended-color work made on PhotoShop from the real photo so I'm confused, if this is painting, out tof the question because it surpasses my current level, but if it could be d with PhotoShop, it would be great if some has ideas/experiences about this kind of art style :)

Banned qubix is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Hey,

to me that looks pretty much like the things the illustrator in the office next to me does. The thing is, that she's doing that by hand with a Wacon Cintiq tablet and not with some kind of PS-filter.

Best
    Orson

3. The Following User Says Thank You to qubix For This Useful Post:

Junior Member JeReming is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by linkgreencold View Post
    Hope there're some professional Adobe PhotoShop (PS) users here :)

I have some ideas insisted that this is Digital Painting, drawn from z-e-r-o , but a lot of other ideas said that this is simply a blended-color work made on PhotoShop from the real photo so I'm confused, if this is painting, out tof the question because it surpasses my current level, but if it could be d with PhotoShop, it would be great if some has ideas/experiences about this kind of art style :)
    Do you really want to know how is it d?

1. Real photo.
    2. Real hands.
    3. Any program (for example Illustrator).
    4. Four hours of killed time.

No PhotoShop.

Banned ggodby will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Try 'CorelPainter'...this effect is achieved through photo cloning effect and different type brushes and painting effects.

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?storeKey=us&pid=prod5090087&trkid=USsemK WS&gclid=CJHIjby53boCFRFo7Aod0yYAzw

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ggodby For This Useful Post:

Senior Member linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ggodby View Post
    Try 'CorelPainter'...this effect is achieved through photo cloning effect and different type brushes and painting effects.

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?storeKey=us&pid=prod5090087&trkid=USsemK WS&gclid=CJHIjby53boCFRFo7Aod0yYAzw
    Thanks, actually just to let you know that there is a photoshop plugin that help create "effect" like this at least for the hair and facial edge, called Fractalius or Red Field :)
    I'm currently use Photoshop and Corel Painter + SketchBook for drawing, but my level is still far from these level :)

Thanks for all your informative comments.

Junior Member likeyouimagined is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Wacom tablet, using photo reference- hand drawn over the photo.
    none of the original photo remains in the finished product.

Mir
    Junior Member Mir is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I couldn't say for this particular image, but a lot of people "cheat" and do paint overs, like others have mentioned. If you wish to learn how to paint, your best bet is minimizing your dependence on that kind of thing.

Once you paint a few faces, you might be surprised at how quickly your skill improves. For learning the basic techniques of building the image and blending colors, you can grab some of the 3dtotal digital painting books, read 2dartist, check youtube, etc.

In the end, painting like this is no different from painting almost anything else.
    Last edited by Mir; 11-13-2013 at 11:47 AM.

+ Reply to Thread