+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best result on JPG enlargment?

Junior Member asdrubal is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2008/02/its-bigger-but.html

In this article, the author compares Genuine Fractals, Blow Up and PS bicubic. The results are really interesting.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asdrubal For This Useful Post:

Banned maeiwill is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

hi

its better to enlarge it with special software

4. The Following User Says Thank You to maeiwill For This Useful Post:

Banned leila is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caden View Post
    You are so right about type. Enlargements can be faked on images but when it comes to fonts you are out of luck, unless your viewing distance matches with the dpi. give or take a few ppi.

Viewing Distance (inches) Resolution ppi
    6 1145
    10 687
    24 286
    36 191
    60 115
    120 57
    600 11
    The formula is ppi = 1/((distance x 0.000291) / 2)
    Yes, but... in offset printing (and some other technologies) resolution doesn't mean anything, as picture must be screened to be printed... so, in fact what you see on the printed material are not the pixels of the picture, but the dots of the screen!
    So, the most important is in fact to know/adapt the screen ruling to match with the viewing distance, AND use the correct resolution matching with the screen ruling!

And this correct resolution is rarely 300 dpi, so it is often no use to extra-enlarge picture up to 300 dpi, if only 255 or 225 dpi are enough.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leila For This Useful Post:

Junior Member TheMacMeKanik is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

You're right but.

I prefer to go the 300dpi just in case. I just know that screening and everything aside. Printing from PC or Mac to a printer directly just needs 300 DPI for fonts to look good. You're probably totally right. But I like to have that extra bandwidth just to be sure. Also some print companies don't know what they are doing and don't have your expertise when it comes to screening. But thanks for your knowledge. I will refer to it in the future. =o)

Junior Member TheLini is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caden View Post
    Enlarge the photo in photoshop.
    If printing to:
    Inkjet - upres. to min of 150dpi
    Printing Press - upres. to min 225dpi (prefer 300dpi)
    Large banner 40"or larger - upres. to min 100dpi (depends on the viewing distance)

Blur image then re-sharpen to enhance the photo.
    Sometime the noise filter (Dust and scratches) can be used to reduce the Jpeg artifacts.

Excellent advice there, that's pretty much what I do with lower quality files.

Genuine Fractals works great, but only if the image has a decent enough quality as a start point.

Banned leila is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMacMeKanik View Post
    I prefer to go the 300dpi just in case.
    Using 300 dpi is a good solution that works without any problem for all contone picture in general cases.
    But in the particuliar case of pictures needing artificial enlargement, it's no use to over-enlarge to reach a resolution that is perhaps too high: it's a "waste of enlargement"! and as the enlargement never works perfectly, you will loose more quality by over-enlarging than by using the good exact resolution needed.

Printing from PC or Mac to a printer directly just needs 300 DPI for fonts to look good.
    "Look good" is a little bit exagerate : 300 dpi contone picture makes fonts look a little bit crappy... if you want good printing of fonts in a picture, the minimum is 600 dpi in bitmap mode!
    Last edited by leila; 11-10-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Junior Member TheLini is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leila View Post
    Using 300 dpi is a good solution that works without any problem for all contone picture in general cases.
    But in the particuliar case of pictures needing artificial enlargement, it's no use to over-enlarge to reach a resolution that is perhaps too high: it's a "waste of enlargement"! and as the enlargement never works perfectly, you will loose more quality by over-enlarging than by using the good exact resolution needed.

"Look good" is a little bit exagerate : 300 dpi contone picture makes fonts look a little bit crappy... if you want good printing of fonts in a picture, the minimum is 600 dpi in bitmap mode!
    Agreed..

For images, 300dpi is fine for both litho and digital print (I'd even argue you could get away with 200dpi)

But if you are rasterizing files for print that have fine line work or text on, the for digital print I use 600dpi, but for litho I would use 800dpi.

For large format high quality inkjet, we aim for 200dpi finished size (obviously file size is a factor so there has to be some leeway there, so we do go down to 150 or even 125 depending on viewing distance.

For Huge banners etc, that have a very long viewing distance then I'd usually aim for between 60 and 72dpi.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheLini For This Useful Post:

Junior Member TheMacMeKanik is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Yes you are totally right:

What I should have said or suggested in previous quote was, "That you should edit your photos in the highest resolution possible as mentioned "ABOVE!" 300dpi or 600dpi, 1200dpi, hell, If you have a Slide Electron scanner you can go to town lol! =o) The skys' the limit. depending on what size picture you are outputting to, and MOST IMPORTANTLY! WHAT YOUR VIEWING DISTANCE WILL BE! Then downsize them to 300 dpi for printing. Sorry for my Gaff. =o) If you ever get a look at a billboard close up you will know exactly what I mean. or look at the side of a Budweiser truck, or any trucks' graphics close up... It's totally horrible! Just DOTS! Not even recognizable as a picture!.. ergo at arms length 300dpi seems to work for me as a bottomline where you can't go wrong. But as I said before .Edit your work in the original definition "IF,"it is higher than 300dpi. if not rasterize it to 600dpi or 800dpi even, then edit, and then downsize again to 300dpi for print! If for internet only just edit the picture in 144dpi and then output at the lowest DPI that you should ever use which is 72dpi. any lower and you icons will become fuzzy and blurry, it's the (Normal Standard Screen Resolution, For the internet, now at least.) Also if sending any Hi-Definition files. If NOT for print, reduce it to 72 dpi. and your file will be much smaller and your upload times will be much faster too. =o) Good Luck all of you out there.
    Last edited by TheMacMeKanik; 11-18-2011 at 08:40 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMacMeKanik For This Useful Post:

Junior Member neotheone is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    For JPEG Repair: Topaz DeJPEG (better than Any JPEG Repair)
    For Enlargement: Alien Skin BlowUp 3

Every Image Enlarger software using the same technique to enlarge the Image but I found Alien Skin BlowUp 3 is the best one.

Junior Member jaytrekk is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Lately I have been using Topaz to reduce JPEG artifacts and it does a good job. For doing a res up of continuous tone images, Photozoom is very hard to beat and I have used it for years now. I do a lot of Geospatial imagery and need quality and accuracy.

16. Your ad here

Junior Member chiangeg is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    See this website
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-photo-enlargement.htm

Junior Member jjvillmor will become famous soon enough jjvillmor's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've always used photoshop. Tried some plug-ins before but use photoshop. zoom to high resolution, Blur, overlay, etc

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjvillmor For This Useful Post:

Junior Member Qooimcool is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I would vote for Photoshop as well.
    Its resampling will have to work if that’s all you’ve got. If your photo enlargement is not too big, the degrading of the image may not be too noticeable

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Qooimcool For This Useful Post:

Junior Member maxci will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    I use PhotoZoom 4

Junior Member Merijn70 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Use Photoshop with 10% steps

Enlarge the image in Photoshop with 10% then enlarge it again with max 10% etc. till you reached the image size you need.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast