+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Illustrator Plugins

Junior Member applepie121 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Best Illustrator Plugins

Does anyone have any favourite Illustrator plugins or scripts that they find useful?

I know the various Astute Graphics plugins are quite popular, but are there any hidden gems that I/others might find useful?

One of my favourites are the relatively simple text alignment scripts you can find here:
    https://github.com/nvkelso/illustrator-scripts/tree/master/other-authors/jwundes

In particular: alignTextFieldCenter.jsx / alignTextFieldRight.jsx / alignTextFieldLeft.jsx

They allow you to realign the text anchor on point text without the text itself moving. Like I said, simple, but very handy!

Junior Member Bogus is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'm always on the lookout for some myself.

I find that either writing my own scripts or actions seem to work well for my personal workflow.

I wrote one that removes any items with areas smaller than 1 square pixel (1px by 1px). Helps with stupid small items that end up all over the place and hard to find. Clean Up doesn't remove them because they are filled but just so small you can't really see them easily. The problem with them is if you start to do any sort of stroke stuff it will put strokes on them and wreck your world.

Still working on one to move some registration marks and resize the artboard according to the lowest object on a particular layout. But the coordinate system is giving me headaches!

Junior Member cagefree is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Astute graphics FTW

I cant imagine working without pathscribe tool from Astute graphics. You can round corners in CS6, extend paths (curves), remove points without changing appearance of the curve (very useful!) and many other things like adding points to the tangents (very useful when drawing some letters or modifying font).

Junior Member Bogus is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    100%

My toolbars go Inkscribe then Pathscribe... Inkscribe has a lot of the same "pen tool" enhancements I use when working on redraws so it's my goto but Pathscribe is right behind it.

I really need to sit down and put more time into the AG tools as when I watch vids I'm always like "man, that's awesome!" but it's not something I need every day so I don't ever get around to properly learning it and then when I need it I can't remember how to use it and just get by without it.

Junior Member cagefree is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip. I have to check the inkscribe as well. Btw I have got the same feeling when watching videos showing those awesome techniques.

Junior Member applepie121 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogus View Post
    I find that either writing my own scripts or actions seem to work well for my personal workflow.
    What's the best way to get started with that?

+ Reply to Thread