+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AI Artboards to .GIF form?

Junior Member rockthevanished is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

AI Artboards to .GIF form?

This is an incredibly obscure problem and it took me ages to figure out what was happening, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has this issue: I make my images for a .GIF in Illustrator, one image per artboard. After I've got all of my images ready I use PSD to import, each to its own layer, and then make the animated .GIF from that. However, I've found that in AI if I don't have all of the artboards on the 1-row layout feature, they misalign when I import them into PSD. (Meaning, if I have four rows of 5 images each instead of one row of 20 images.)

I spent days trying to align images for an animated header I was working on and was about to give up when I tried rearranging my artboards to see if that made a difference, and it did. Has anyone else ever run into this, or know what causes it? The artboards are all exactly the same size, so that has nothing to do with it.

Banned stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    Maybe creating groups from AI before exporting to Ps,

Junior Member rockthevanished is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Do you mean grouping all of the objects on the artboard before trying to export?

Junior Member haxored is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Pixel Preview

In AI set Preview Mode to Pixel Preview. I am guessing that you will see the misalignment in AI now. When creating a new document, you can set "snap to pixel grid" to assist in the future. You can also set this on each layer object in the Transform Palette, "align to pixel grid" and also in the palette's options menu, "align new objects to pixel grid", both of which affect objects respectively as described. You will then be able to bump your objects around to snap their origins to the nearest pixel. Set your unit preferences to pixels, and you will also be able to use the numeric transform settings to set X,Y values explicitly. Your pixel preview mode will display the same as any rasterized output.

Junior Member jsavage is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    You might want to make sure that "Align to Pixel Grid" is checked and see if that helps. You can find it in the transform pallet or in the preferences.

Junior Member haxored is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

:smile:

jsavage, I had already shared that tip in the previous comment and I hope that you find the other tips I shared useful. I've managed to accrue quite a repertoire of tools and habits over the years in Illustrator as a web developer and graphic designer. It seems any more that people are prototyping everything directly in CSS these days, but I strongly feel that stylized graphics still have a niche in layout elements. Borders, shadows and gradients were over ten years ago and CSS3 has finally caught up. If you're already tired of the new flat design trend, you'll quickly find yourself back in Illustrator to add some decorative flare to your designs.

+ Reply to Thread